Shooting Bench

Mista Paacha

5 year old buck +
I found an easy to build design for a sturdy, heavy shooting bench.
I had to change it a bit because I had some old barn lumber to use up.
This is the design
IMG_0042_zpseu7tjfee.jpeg

IMG_0043_zpsov8nmssi.jpeg

IMG_0044_zpspj8rcovd.jpeg

IMG_0045_zpsh4eetoki.jpeg

IMG_0046_zpsbecc2rfg.jpeg

IMG_0047_zps798uuydd.jpeg

IMG_0048_zpsgb6ol4ds.jpeg

IMG_0049_zpscq283yf9.jpeg

IMG_0050_zpsktafuroq.jpeg

IMG_0051_zpskvlia5ho.jpeg

I substituted the 1x6 top for 5/4 decking, 1x14 for 2x12 and 2x6 for actual 2x6.

20170513_161537_zpsxfk7ugjz.jpg

20170513_161530_zpsibeiltys.jpg

20170513_161518_zpsiwstcvpb.jpg

Next step is to dig some post holes and set it into place. I then plan to pour a 4x8 concrete pad around it. Finally put some posts around the pad and build awning for some shade.

Nice job Mista Paacha. The only critique I have of that design is that I dislike shooting benches with a fixed bench seat. I find a separate adjustable height stool more convenient and better for shooters of different builds and height to get a comfortable position behind the gun.

Also, if you're going to pour a slab I would not dig those post holes to set the legs. Just place the bench on the completed slab. It's plenty heavy enough for stability. No need to complicate the job - plus you will have the option of modifying the bench if you ever desire to do so.

Here's something else you may want to consider. I put an 8' x 10' awning over my shooting bench and made the mistake of making it almost flat. It was a mistake because the bench is located in a stand of pine trees and the awning collected a thick layer of dead needles from the trees. A flat awning is fine if the bench is in an open area. But if it's near trees I suggest a severe peaked design.

Last edited:
Nice job and rather simple design there too( I also agree with the fixed seat height, but ?? can live with most at times, adjustable is way better of possible?)
ONE thing I MIGHT suggest is, adding adjustable height feet for the legs, as the ground is NEVER level at times unless your having a cement pad put down.

Some threaded rod , and some HD concrete inserts placed into the 4x4 legs and a foot pad on one end , can make that work too pretty easy as well!

Looks good and solid. Only thing I can recommend is a bath towel under your elbow. Sometimes the kick drags your elbow across the wood and it hurts.

Nice bench, but I also have a problem with fixed bench seats. I omit them from my shooting benches and bring along a free standing chair for use with the bench.