Shipping scion

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
I'm shipping some scion today and wanting to make sure they get it in good shape. So is there anything I need to do special?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm shipping some scion today and wanting to make sure they get it in good shape. So is there anything I need to do special?

I wrap mine up in cling wrap reasonably tight and put them in a zip lock bag that I throw a damp paper towel in for a little humidity.
Put it all in a padded mailer and mail it early in the week, you don't want it sitting in a post office over a weekend if you can help it.
On a side note, I sent a package priority mail to Fayetteville AR Wednesday, 5 hours away, and a padded mailer, shipped normally, to VA, a considerable distance from me, the same day.
According to my check on the tracking numbers yesterday they'll both arrive at their destinations Sat, only one cost me about 7 dollars to mail and the other 1.
What gives lol?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dont even get me started on the postal service!! I cant honestly believe they are still in business and I think its safe to say under the Trump Administration it may not make it another 4 years!

Dont even get me started on the postal service!! I cant honestly believe they are still in business and I think its safe to say under the Trump Administration it may not make it another 4 years!
I bet your right on this... I have friends that work for usps and would hate to see anyone lose their job but I can see the private sector taking it over for a number of reasons...

Thanks Merle

I bet your right on this... I have friends that work for usps and would hate to see anyone lose their job but I can see the private sector taking it over for a number of reasons...
I wouldnt disagree in terms of that. It provided one of my Grandfathers a job as the post master of a small town for 40 years. It does provide at least a couple of folks in small town America jobs as well. However the way USPS is structured and lack of business sense means they waste money and have very inefficient service in some instances.

I wouldnt disagree in terms of that. It provided one of my Grandfathers a job as the post master of a small town for 40 years. It does provide at least a couple of folks in small town America jobs as well. However the way USPS is structured and lack of business sense means they waste money and have very inefficient service in some instances.

TC, I don't think I ever told you, but I'm a mailman. You're right, the structure (and management) is very poor. This all stems from government mismanagement, ridiculously selfish union demands and poor leadership on their part. They are decent jobs, but you have one union arguing w/ the demands of another and there is no incentive to do a great job and improve your position. The jack wad that does a crappy job, gets paid the same as you. That's ridiculous!

I still go as hard as I can, but these unions make it hard to want to. 3.5 more year!!!

In todays world people want faster and better service at a good price. The USPS model of raising prices while cutting hours of operation and reducing services to customers is just not going to work. They should be expanding services and lowering prices while striving to become super efficient. The world and technology have past the postal service by and they don't seem to want to adapt. It won't be long I'm afraid. I have 2 good friends that are mailmen and they too can't wait to get out in a few more years.

Rather than cut back hours, they should have closed some offices. However, they attempted to and people whined to their congressman and senators, and they decided to cut back hours. Again, it's got a lot to do with being a government institution. Private businesses would not have these constraints and would be run more efficiently imo.

Anything government run is a mess. The government is incapable of running anything profitable.

Anything government run is a mess. The government is incapable of running anything profitable.

The government does not run businesses for profit, nor should they, but yes they do have a tendency of making as mess of things they run by not spending and operating wisely.

Back to the original question.....I found that the best way to ship scions is to cut the sticks to length right off the tree and immediately dip them in warm 50/50 gulf wax and beeswax, then refrigerate until shipped with a little water in the baggy when shipped.

The government does not run businesses for profit, nor should they, but yes they do have a tendency of making as mess of things they run by not spending and operating wisely.

A better word would have been solvent. If you aren't running a business to make a profit, you are running one to lose money.The problem is exactly what you stated, the USPS has to too many constraints when it comes time to make the hard operating decisions. I apologize for the derailment.

Back to the original question.....I found that the best way to ship scions is to cut the sticks to length right off the tree and immediately dip them in warm 50/50 gulf wax and beeswax, then refrigerate until shipped with a little water in the baggy when shipped.

Thanks