Shiitake fail?

Reagan

5 year old buck +
I put shiitake plugs into fresh cut red oak this spring. It was my first attempt at mushroom cultivation. I recently discovered some fungus on my logs but it does not look like mushrooms to me.

Is this some sort of early shiitake growth? Is it a different fungus that will ruin my shiitake crop? Should I discard the logs that have this new fungus. Should I leave it alone?

I'm a novice so any advice will help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 58
I don't know a thing about cultivation, but that white one you had there could be an oyster. Don't take my word for it, but if those white ones are growing without a stem and the center is noticeable "off-center" you could be in the ball park. Always consult a proper guide for ID before you try it. You don't want to end up with stomach cramps for three days.

image.jpg

It looks like I have had two shiitakes form. I'm watching all of my logs closely now . These came from a log with none of the little white ones growing.

image.jpg Bottom view.

image.jpg It's been a year now. The couple of logs with the little white invaders haven't produced but the others have. I picked about pound last fall and a couple pounds total this spring. It looks like they have stopped for now. I read that with proper moisture and 8 more weeks, I should get even more.

New here, Ive got around 50 logs i put shiitake plugs in last year. They are still going through spawn run as far as i can tell. Are your logs producing much better yet?

John B

Saw the "harvest time" thread. Looking good!

John
I'm new to the forum, and I found this 'shroom thread. I started inoculating logs in 2012, with the vow that I would never buy another shroom! I've since dropped oysters, lion's mane and a few others to focus on shiitakes. (I still hunt morels, chicken of the woods, puff balls, chanterelles, and
oysters on occasion).
ShroomsSept292014_1a_zpsffff8a19.jpg

I get 10's of # of shiitakes, dry a lot of them and give the rest away.

-fsh

Fish,
Very cool. Ive only gotten about 20 shrooms total so far but i dont really take care of the logs and just started last year. Do you force fruit them or let them go naturally? Also, which variety of spawn is that? I love the way the outter ring looks.

John B

John
I do force my logs by soaking them in barrels/trash containers. The spawn in the pic is MP910 (the mushroom people), a wide temperature range variety.
-fsh

I read you are not supposed to inocculate logs fresh. They have a natural anti-fungal response that dissipates a few weeks after cutting. Apparently shiitake are vulnerable to that anti-fungal response.