Sherem chain sharpener??

My buddy had one and he said it cut a lot of metal and the chains don't last as long. But maybe take that with a grain of salt. He's particularly hard on equipment.

I find it strange that folks spend allot of money on some of these devices. I'm likely "old school".....but I have always just used a few strokes of the appropriate file size to get a decent sharpening in the field. I suppose after about 6 to 10 times....it's time for a pro-sharpening job.....but??? Maybe I just dont' know what I dont' know?

I like to hand file free hand in the field myself then after a couple touch ups I’ll swap chains and use my Stihl USG to bring the chains back to a factory cutting edge.

Old school here. I use the Stihl hand files with the angle guides & a flat file for the rakers. I just try to file the same amount of strokes on each tooth / raker to keep things even. I look closely to watch for uneven wear though. I have no power sharpener. I always keep a spare sharp chain with me while cutting - in case.

Old school here. I use the Stihl hand files with the angle guides & a flat file for the rakers. I just try to file the same amount of strokes on each tooth / raker to keep things even. I look closely to watch for uneven wear though. I have no power sharpener. I always keep a spare sharp chain with me while cutting - in case.
Same

Not old school......just old

bill

Gettin' there myself, TreeDaddy!!