Selling the ATV Flail Mower

I think we have all made a few colossal mistakes in our time.....but that does not negate my want to say "I told you so". Huge grin.

I was just surfing the web....and if you sell that other one for anywhere near your asking price....perhaps one of these will bring you joy? Tho.....you gotta wonder why they would be selling an "ATV Mower" and then demonstrate its use with a compact tractor? Makes no sense to me.

ATV-flail-mower

I think we have all made a few colossal mistakes in our time.....but that does not negate my want to say "I told you so". Huge grin.

I was just surfing the web....and if you sell that other one for anywhere near your asking price....perhaps one of these will bring you joy? Tho.....you gotta wonder why they would be selling an "ATV Mower" and then demonstrate its use with a compact tractor? Makes no sense to me.

ATV-flail-mower
Not interested. That thing brings back all the old problems. It's too big, too wide, Those tires are too small and will likely get bent easily as they hit trees. I'd need a week with an excavator to widen and straighten all my trails to accommodate something like that.

I have been using my ATV for food plots for the last 10 years or more. This year I bought a tractor, for other purposes, but used it this year to pull my ATV disc, and I will say, my 26hp tractor never knew it was back there. My ATV, at times would bog to the point of it stopping my wheeler. This is a Artic Cat 700 EFI, and has great power, and HD suspension. Huge difference in the 2.

By the time I'm too old to wrestle a walk behind brush hog, I'll have a skid steer on tracks with a flail mower.

What about mounting that thing on a garden tractor?

What about mounting that thing on a garden tractor?
I already sold it. New plan for now is to just rent a walk behind brush mower. I picked up a riding lawn mower that'll do my lawn, tree screens, and most of my trails. A few sections of trails I only use for work have been limed and planted, and there is no way my rider could handle that biomass. So I'll have a day of hard work there to reset all my clover in August.

Last year, I got all of my trails brush hogged and took care of all the little brush that was coming up on the edges. I'm planning to mow those sactuary trails in the early summer when the biomass is much lower, just to catch any new brush coming up. The shaded trails don't get near the biomass, so I can mow them with the rider too.

I already sold it. New plan for now is to just rent a walk behind brush mower. I picked up a riding lawn mower that'll do my lawn, tree screens, and most of my trails. A few sections of trails I only use for work have been limed and planted, and there is no way my rider could handle that biomass. So I'll have a day of hard work there to reset all my clover in August.

Last year, I got all of my trails brush hogged and took care of all the little brush that was coming up on the edges. I'm planning to mow those sactuary trails in the early summer when the biomass is much lower, just to catch any new brush coming up. The shaded trails don't get near the biomass, so I can mow them with the rider too.
Glad you got it sold. Good on you. Now...plan "x" can be considered.

What kind of riding lawn mower did you get?

Let us know how you like that model. My riding lawn mower at my place is on its last leg, so I'll be in the market for a new mower in the next year or two. Ideally one that has easy to get spare parts, although perhaps that isn't as big of a deal today when you can get anything on Amazon.

Let us know how you like that model. My riding lawn mower at my place is on its last leg, so I'll be in the market for a new mower in the next year or two. Ideally one that has easy to get spare parts, although perhaps that isn't as big of a deal today when you can get anything on Amazon.
So far, I love it. I've got about 4 hours on it. There's only a few things to mind. The front end doesn't articulate, so you'll get a front wheel in the air as you go over some uneven terrain. The mower deck hangs freely, vs riding on wheels on the ground, so your cut can be a little off on uneven ground. The 42" model, the deck is just as wide as the rear wheels, so that makes it a tad tricky trying to go around things without dragging the rear wheel over what you're cutting around. It's also not the most powerful. You're not gonna cut stuff that should be baled with that thing.

All that said, the ride is surprisingly smooth for a zero turn. I'm happy with how fast I can go. The engine runs smoothly, the transmission has the power to move that thing in circles quickly, and the steering is pretty good. For what it cost new, I'd buy that one again.

Toro Timecutter 42" zero turn.
I’ve got a 42” time cutter zero turn as well. I have no complaints with it other than a caution for folks who would be using it on hills - I got it for a song from my parents because it doesn’t climb the hill at their cabin. Rear tires spin. It struggles on some side hills tracking straight and not sliding at my house too. They got a traditional riding mower to replace it and that works better for them.

I’ve got a 42” time cutter zero turn as well. I have no complaints with it other than a caution for folks who would be using it on hills - I got it for a song from my parents because it doesn’t climb the hill at their cabin. Rear tires spin. It struggles on some side hills tracking straight and not sliding at my house too. They got a traditional riding mower to replace it and that works better for them.
also just a FYI< the new zero turns with tracks, work way better on hill;s and do NOT get stuck as easy in wet terrain, like night and day different in how much more traction they have
however, they like all good mowers are not cheap, and they also come in sit down or stand up versions

I know the OP sold his Rammy, but I thought I'd post my experiences for anyone who finds this thread searching like I did since there's almost nothing on the web from people who have one. We needed something to mow the roads ( I use that term loosely) at our cabin. We're talking woods 2-tracks and It's very rocky terrain here and nothing with a blade would cut it (pun intended). I'm on my 3rd season mowing with it. Put it on a 1998 Polaris Xplorer 400 and like the OP, was super disappointed when it couldn't lift the mower. Installed EPI "plow" springs which are supposed to be 30% stiffer than stock and still no go. I HAD to make this work. I cut PVC pipe the length of the exposed shock rod and then slit it lengthwise in two pieces so I could slide it between the springs. I then zip tied the halves together over the shock rod effectively locking the front suspension. Cut the zip ties and it's back to stock. Takes less time to block the springs than it does to hook up the mower. As to the OP's concern about stressing something else by locking the suspension, keep in mind you rarely are actually carrying the mower. It's always on the ground while mowing and if you're really worried, you can travel with it on the ground too and hardly ever have to lift it. To the question of overheating. The quad is hardly working. You're in low range at a walking pace. As long as you keep the radiator screen free of grass clippings, overheating isn't a problem. It is a little tough steering on an older atv or any without power steering, but I'm not in the best of shape and I get by fine. My biggest complaint is the steel roller at the back. On rough, rocky terrain like we have, it pounds over every little imperfection. This would be no issue on a smooth lawn, but that's not what I'm dealing with. I really want to figure a way to replace the roller with some pneumatic tires to ease some of the banging around. Couldn't go with a tow-behind because there are many times I have to lift the mower over rocks while mowing. It's far from perfect, but I couldn't find another option for what we're dealing with.

^ I've yet to understand why a pull type flail mower would not suit your needs? I own a tractor with a flail mower.....and drive thru my crops before mowing them. Works fine for me....and many other flail owners. What would be the difference with an ATV unit?? I simply don't get it.

^ I've yet to understand why a pull type flail mower would not suit your needs? I own a tractor with a flail mower.....and drive thru my crops before mowing them. Works fine for me....and many other flail owners. What would be the difference with an ATV unit?? I simply don't get it.
Do you drive over rocks with it? I mean rocks big enough to hit with the blades (hammers)? I try to avoid rocks as much as possible because they break blades and bend the blade mounting tabs. I still hit some unseen ones, but I lift the mower over the big ones I see to avoid them. Couldn't do that with a tow-behind.

Do you drive over rocks with it? I mean rocks big enough to hit with the blades (hammers)? I try to avoid rocks as much as possible because they break blades and bend the blade mounting tabs. I still hit some unseen ones, but I lift the mower over the big ones I see to avoid them. Couldn't do that with a tow-behind.
Oh I got some rocks too. I avoid hitting all that I can by driving around them or lifting the machine to lessen chances of impact. Do not the pull type have some means to limit the rock issues? Maybe that is where some money could be spent.....the means to lift your pull type flail mower? Better yet....own a tractor with a 3 point.....which has been designed to do such work.

Tractor is certainly not in the budget. As far as I know, the ATV tow-behinds can't be lifted. As I said, this was the best looking option and it does the job. It's not perfect. It would probably cost less than a tractor to have the road graveled and mow it with a lawn tractor, but that's not in the budget either.

I know the OP sold his Rammy, but I thought I'd post my experiences for anyone who finds this thread searching like I did since there's almost nothing on the web from people who have one. We needed something to mow the roads ( I use that term loosely) at our cabin. We're talking woods 2-tracks and It's very rocky terrain here and nothing with a blade would cut it (pun intended). I'm on my 3rd season mowing with it. Put it on a 1998 Polaris Xplorer 400 and like the OP, was super disappointed when it couldn't lift the mower. Installed EPI "plow" springs which are supposed to be 30% stiffer than stock and still no go. I HAD to make this work. I cut PVC pipe the length of the exposed shock rod and then slit it lengthwise in two pieces so I could slide it between the springs. I then zip tied the halves together over the shock rod effectively locking the front suspension. Cut the zip ties and it's back to stock. Takes less time to block the springs than it does to hook up the mower. As to the OP's concern about stressing something else by locking the suspension, keep in mind you rarely are actually carrying the mower. It's always on the ground while mowing and if you're really worried, you can travel with it on the ground too and hardly ever have to lift it. To the question of overheating. The quad is hardly working. You're in low range at a walking pace. As long as you keep the radiator screen free of grass clippings, overheating isn't a problem. It is a little tough steering on an older atv or any without power steering, but I'm not in the best of shape and I get by fine. My biggest complaint is the steel roller at the back. On rough, rocky terrain like we have, it pounds over every little imperfection. This would be no issue on a smooth lawn, but that's not what I'm dealing with. I really want to figure a way to replace the roller with some pneumatic tires to ease some of the banging around. Couldn't go with a tow-behind because there are many times I have to lift the mower over rocks while mowing. It's far from perfect, but I couldn't find another option for what we're dealing with.
this is why I stated before here that many folks have replaced front shocks with solid bars, be them of steel or?? to be able to hold up weight on there fronts(mostly for plowing snow, or way back when, they were trying to push front end loaders on atv's, which never worked out)

it can get things done, but there is no changing the fact your adding a lot more stress to the atv's frame and drive line, when you make something ridged, there is no GIVE
and not all ATV will cool the same when running at slow speeds, some do better jobs than others,
as many larger CC motors and ATV's in general rely on air to help with cooling them, and if you run them slow, they will over heat, all the more so if your working the atv harder going slow up hills un even terrain, and or pushing /pulling something heavy!
its just what itr is!

as for why they don;'t really sell Fail mowers for tow behind set ups for atv's
is a saftey issue as well as like stated there is No 3 point hitch to raise when needed

when your on an atv as to a tractor, your sitting way lower and higher odd's of debris coming out of mower and hitting you
on a tractor you sit way higher and many times are in a cab as well!

one can MAKE something work for sure, and it may last a while, , but there honestly a better tool for using a fail mower than an atv, IMO its just hard on them!

blackburb

and if your really creative and have some skills in designing and fab work! and want to make your set up better
as for the bar hitting rocks

what you can do , is fab up some HD spring mounts for ALL wheels on the mower, one's that will allow the mower to float on the springs and this will allow things to follow the terrain, I would gather some cheap places to get springs would be a auto salvage yard , say springs from a small compact car
once you get the mower to float, you can repeat the set up for springs for the bar!
it wouldn;t be perfect still, but would be a big improvement IMO

the reason most OEM"S don;t do so, i

no bash here just saying!

well, they expect owners are mostly using on flat smooth ground, so they have no reason to make for uneven rocky ground!

another suggestion, might be put up an add for some free fill dirt, and as you get it, spread it out over the un even spots and or cover rocks with it, as once fixed it will make life so much easier on all things , you and your equipment in the long run!
if you have NO means to spread fill dirt
wait till you get a bunch and rent a skid steer for a 1/2 day, (or better yet, have a neighbor or friend come and do it for you if you have any with machines) , they are generally not that costly, and in the end you will be a happier guy with a smoother road to use and mow!

SD.....I just saw this on FB Marketplace and thought of you. Wonder if this is the guy that bought yours? (the devil made me post this)