Selling the ATV Flail Mower

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Well, I gotta take my medicine on this deal. I had not verified the front end specs on my Can Am Outlander 570 XT before I bought this. I took the mower manufacturers word for it. My machine cannot lift it. It has a very light riding front suspension.

So, it's for sale. I've got a total of $5,500 into it with all the accessories, extra set of hammer blades, spare belt, side shift kit, mount, etc. I also have all the manuals. Asking $4,000 OBO.

Located near Remer, MN. If you've got an ATV built for working, this is the deal of a year. It's still an awesome machine, and it kills me to sell it. But I'm not gonna wreck an $11,000 wheeler that ain't designed for it.

Cash. PM me if you're interested.

4.jpg

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Well that's a major bummer. Just by chance do you know if there is a suspension lockout option for the front axle? I know on my old polaris I put one on the back to lockout the suspension if I was pulling the fishhouse around for example. I don't know enough about Can Am...

How much lifting capacity is required for that unit? That's a really nice looking flail mower.

It weighs 210 lbs and sticks out a little past the front. I'm not sure on how that compounds beings that it is out in front. My wheeler was really close to lifting it.

Trade the wheeler in on one that works. Seems silly to get rid of something you've drooled about for years just because your wheeler doesn't fit it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That sucks. Any chance of a heavy duty front suspension for your Can Am?

That sucks. Any chance of a heavy duty front suspension for your Can Am?
Can am didn't have anything. A custom guy wouldn't touch it. I tried spring spacers, they didn't help. Daydreamer sent me some gizmos that would lock out the front suspension completely, but that idea scares me in terms of wear and tear. I did get the wild idea last night to take the mower to a fab guy and see if he could weld up a hitch so I can pull it instead. If it doesn't sell, that may be what happens to it.

You might be able to get more out of it than you think. I went to look at a Woods BB60.30 rotary mower yesterday. Last year it was $2500. Now $3500 and maybe could get one by November. It is hard to tell what the real price is as it seems many tractor dealers are as scummy as car dealers with putting up bogus prices or stock they don't even have on tractorhouse.

You might be able to get more out of it than you think. I went to look at a Woods BB60.30 rotary mower yesterday. Last year it was $2500. Now $3500 and maybe could get one by November. It is hard to tell what the real price is as it seems many tractor dealers are as scummy as car dealers with putting up bogus prices or stock they don't even have on tractorhouse.
Kinda what I hoped. It's definitely a specialty item, so I expect it to take time. I put it up on FB marketplace last night as well as CL. Started shopping a zero turn mower earlier in the week. That isn't looking good either. The inventory on Toro's in my city is low and there is no more coming this year. Apparently Toro was having trouble getting motors, so they had to create a bunch of different models of the same mower cause they've got Kohler engines, Briggs engines, and Toro engines.

My BIL got a cub cadet zero turn yesterday. My sister sent some pics and videos. He looked like a kid in a candy store. They went from a push to this so it’ll be worth the $3500. I told them to get one years ago. It’s like a big boy toy.

My BIL got a cub cadet zero turn yesterday. My sister sent some pics and videos. He looked like a kid in a candy store. They went from a push to this so it’ll be worth the $3500. I told them to get one years ago. It’s like a big boy toy.
I cannot wait for that day. I've got almost all the dirty work done on my trails. Last phase of trail fixing is this year. I've got a neighbor with a 3 pt disc and I'm gonna have him come over and disc down all the ruts and humps from years of wet trail driving before me. Then I'll be able to ride to mow all of nearly 2 miles of trails.

You say your machine won't lift the mower? Confirming the winch is actually what lifts the mower is that correct? If so why not get a bigger winch? If your springs are weak you can buy stiffer springs. I saw a set on ebay that claims to add 100lbs of additional lift capacity. That mower is too cool to give up on it!

You say your machine won't lift the mower? Confirming the winch is actually what lifts the mower is that correct? If so why not get a bigger winch? If your springs are weak you can buy stiffer springs. I saw a set on ebay that claims to add 100lbs of additional lift capacity. That mower is too cool to give up on it!
The winch is what lifts it, the winch does fine. It sucks the wheeler right down to the mower frame. I talked to Can-Am and some guys that do custom suspension work for ATV's. Nobody has anything for it. I know I can make that ATV lift it, but that's just going to transfer the load and shock to another component that isn't built for it, and I'm not going to beat the hell out of my $11,000 ATV to try to make this work. It doesn't pencil out to upgrade the ATV either.

My mind is made up, it's going down the road. I've already got another mower in place and I'm hauling it to camp this weekend.

No dreams come true anymore. This thread is depressing.

I;m sorry you found out the hard way here,
but to be honest ,the only way that will work on ANY ATV is if you replace the front shocks with solid bars of steel or the likes, which will make for a sound front end, and that will then just put all the stress on the frame and and your steering parts ??
there really is NO ATV made to handle weight of things like this, , all the more so extended so far in front to the ATV
I would even question is a good HD Side by Side/utility vehicle,, like a kubota or such, that has super stiff set ups(some have almost 3/4 ton drive trains
something like a even like a BOB CAT utility vehicle
the old saying rings true, ATV's are NOT tractors and never will be!

if you look up spec's on ATV
s most will NOT have any where the front carrying opacity on there RACKS< to handle this much weight, add it sticking out so far and the leverage that then applies, and you will see the math doesn;t work for REAL ATV use, you will beat up the front end pretty hard using something like this on ANY atv , if you sue it often or for long periods any how
and them your also, going to have cooling issues, as the front end will NOT be allowing air flow as OEM"S designed the atv's to have
its a double whammy\
and NO bash to OP,
we all sometimes live and learn afterwards!

on the flip side, you can look for a small tractor to us it on, and odds are if your willing to go OLD school,. you can find a good one for less than what a decent used ATV will cost?
that would; be the best way to use this! IMO!
and having an extra tractor is NEVER a bad thing IMO, HAHA! minus the added space to store it, and and PM's to do on it!

I've not been sold on the front mounted flail since we talked about this some years back. A pull-type could be pretty sweet however....but that thought was dismissed for fear of trampling the crops before the flail (If memory serves). The thing is....I do that with my tractor all the time....and have never seen any ill-effects of driving over the crop and then flail mowing it. The machine creates enough suction to stand the crop up and cuts it evenly....IME. I would think a nice pull type flail mower can be bought for the sale price here......if you get it sold. Good luck!

and NO bash to OP,
Now worries. I ain't too proud to admit I was wrong. Most things I try don't work. Granted, this was the most expensive lesson I've had in a while. Had some other learnings already this year:

*Deer do eat tomato plants. Putting them in the clover plot unprotected didn't pan out.
*Something obliterated my forage collards in the last week. It was beautiful last weekend. I didn't even bring fresh veggies with this weekend because I was gonna eat collards. Then they weren't there.
***My potatoes in the food plot haven't failed, but they aren't in the pot yet.

The perfect mower does exist in a Peruzzo, but I'm betting it's many tens of thousands beyond ridiculous for my needs.

Now worries. I ain't too proud to admit I was wrong. Most things I try don't work. Granted, this was the most expensive lesson I've had in a while. Had some other learnings already this year:

*Deer do eat tomato plants. Putting them in the clover plot unprotected didn't pan out.
*Something obliterated my forage collards in the last week. It was beautiful last weekend. I didn't even bring fresh veggies with this weekend because I was gonna eat collards. Then they weren't there.
***My potatoes in the food plot haven't failed, but they aren't in the pot yet.

The perfect mower does exist in a Peruzzo, but I'm betting it's many tens of thousands beyond ridiculous for my needs.
yeah I think we can be honest awe have all been there and learned something this way, I know I sure have, and maybe too many times to wan t to share HAHA!
it happens

BUT again, I know many folks that for winter time plowing snow with atv's(even they can be heavy on front ends) they will make solid bars to replace shocks to allow atv to hold things up
they also used to do this for when Swisher I think sold and marketed front end loaders for ATV(again they didn;t work well too heavy for atv's)
but adding the bars allowed them to work if one really wanted to do so!

its not a kill ATV NOW deal doing so, , IF you use your brain and go slow, its when all that weight gets into motion you have to worry about it causing damage
making bars for replacing shocks is pretty simple and cheap, you might give it a go and see, might work for you if where you run this, its mostly smooth and you go slow!
just an option if you wanted to try ? just if you do make them a inch or so shorted than your shocks so there is a little give in system and not at full MAX UP position

yeah I think we can be honest awe have all been there and learned something this way, I know I sure have, and maybe too many times to wan t to share HAHA!
it happens

BUT again, I know many folks that for winter time plowing snow with atv's(even they can be heavy on front ends) they will make solid bars to replace shocks to allow atv to hold things up
they also used to do this for when Swisher I think sold and marketed front end loaders for ATV(again they didn;t work well too heavy for atv's)
but adding the bars allowed them to work if one really wanted to do so!

its not a kill ATV NOW deal doing so, , IF you use your brain and go slow, its when all that weight gets into motion you have to worry about it causing damage
making bars for replacing shocks is pretty simple and cheap, you might give it a go and see, might work for you if where you run this, its mostly smooth and you go slow!
just an option if you wanted to try ? just if you do make them a inch or so shorted than your shocks so there is a little give in system and not at full MAX UP position
I'm a firm believer we can destroy anything if we try. Some things that can be done, just shouldn't, not if you want to get life out of a piece of equipment. I know guys that run their stuff hard, and it falls apart far sooner than it should, and they're stuck with malfunctioning junk. I'm a big fan in renting or hiring equipment to do demolition work like moving dirt, snow, brush, and stumps.