Selling carbon credits

Did the forestry team pound these markers in the ground and then number trees with spray paint around them? I had a handful of these show up in the last week and was wondering what it was.
Yes. They really should have warned you. They warned me about the markers so I asked where they would be put. They asked me if they could spray paint and I said that was fine.

Yes. They really should have warned you. They warned me about the markers so I asked where they would be put. They asked me if they could spray paint and I said that was fine.
Well that clears up that mystery for me. Thank you!

Last edited:
My deferral credit assessment for this cycle was almost exactly double what it was last year. I was expecting it to be higher. I also expect the bids to be lower, though.

Mine went down from 68 to 57. They are basing that off of 31 eligible acres.

Did the forestry team pound these markers in the ground and then number trees with spray paint around them? I had a handful of these show up in the last week and was wondering what it was.
Yes, and they typically put orange flags around the trees around this post. I believe these are position markers for quadrants for them to come back next winter and measure.

Yeah they came out to me about 2 weeks ago. They called the day before to let me know. Told them that wasn’t enough heads up for me to get there and open the gates but he was more than welcome to park at the gate and walk which he did. Took him a day on my place. No clue the result of their audit but apparently it doesn’t matter in terms of compensation.
Fortunately, my Dad was around at first. He was very appreciative that we were able to open the gates.

I am not sure if you have your forester's number, but we kind of befriended him because we had a snow storm and let him keep his equipment in our garage overnight. In the process, we had asked for the raw data that he collected. I am not sure yet if anyone can request this data at the end of the enrollment period, but he did us a favor and shared it with us.

1644938919459.png

Curious if any of you have got paid for carbon credits with a program other than NCX? It looks like NCX's next enrollment is in Fall 2023, so I have time to look into options before going with them if I don't find anything better. I manage ~1500ac on the west coast. We would rather the trees stay standing than log, and hope to find financially viable ways to do that. NCX seems to be a low-investment / low-reward way to go while I look for a better long term alternative.

Can't you just leave them standing? For whom do you manage?

Well, ncx said I should get paid within 60 days of the end of the period so hopefully at the end of this month. Let's hope the money is there........

Well, ncx said I should get paid within 60 days of the end of the period so hopefully at the end of this month. Let's hope the money is there........
I’m in the same boat. Getting a little skeptical only because they apparently they had trouble getting interest in the next round. Let’s hope they didn’t bite off more than they could chew

I think you guys have probably been asked about method of payment? We were and are expecting to get paid soon.

I'll be really interested to hear what you all get and for what acreages and forest types. The likely returns seem rather opaque. Of course it will probably vary quite a lot year to year as well.

I’m in the same boat. Getting a little skeptical only because they apparently they had trouble getting interest in the next round. Let’s hope they didn’t bite off more than they could chew
I heard the opposite — that they were nearly tapped out and only allowing renewals and no new enrollees.

I'll be really interested to hear what you all get and for what acreages and forest types. The likely returns seem rather opaque. Of course it will probably vary quite a lot year to year as well.
If finances are even somewhat important, you’ll be much much better off to harvest some timber, judging from the offers they made me. If your land isn’t able to be harvested easily, their algorithm will likely pick up on that and your offer will be less.

I heard the opposite — that they were nearly tapped out and only allowing renewals and no new enrollees.
yah i'm not sure they are killing, I thought I saw they laid off 40% of the company a couple months back.

yah i'm not sure they are killing, I thought I saw they laid off 40% of the company a couple months back.
They did lay off a number of their employees. It looks like they have pushed the new enrollment back a few more months, now to September 2023.

Here is a summary of our payout. Not too bad that it has come back more than we were expecting.

1677093113414.png

I am a little skeptical they will even be able to do open enrollments in September. For the time being, we will still try and take part in the next enrollment.

They did lay off a number of their employees. It looks like they have pushed the new enrollment back a few more months, now to September 2023.

Here is a summary of our payout. Not too bad that it has come back more than we were expecting.

View attachment 50118

I am a little skeptical they will even be able to do open enrollments in September. For the time being, we will still try and take part in the next enrollment.
Yeah I just got my final notice. I got $200 more than expected. I was very pleased with the process

View attachment 50118

How many wooded acres is that?

How many wooded acres is that?
I think it was 147 or so. There is no chance that we have 147 acres of woods. I am not entirely sure where the 147 came from. I think it is an estimate for quality and quantity of woods based on imagery. You create an area of interest and they pay based on that area. I believe we selected around 150 acres. For context, I would say we have few mature trees on this property, as it was logged about 40-50 years ago, so the quality probably isn't even that good. A surveyor came out and did actual measurements. I don't know if that played into the payout actually increasing or not.

Something else that was neat with this whole process is having an official forester do an assessment of your property. They sent us the report for quality and quantity of trees. I am not sure what this typically costs, but it was included for free for us taking part in the program. You have to be randomly selected for the calibration assessment though.