Selling carbon credits

I got $6k for about 230 acres of woods. I have no idea why I got so much but I’m not complaining

I got $6k for about 230 acres of woods. I have no idea why I got so much but I’m not complaining
That makes me feel like they are paying based on quality of timber as well as quantity. I think we have roughly 120 acres of timber for the 150 we selected. So roughly, you got paid $26.10/timber acre. I think we got something like $10.83. It makes sense that they would adjust the payments based on the quality of timber (which would affect the amount of carbon) present in a given woods that is deferring a timber harvest. The soil carbon credit companies are adjusting their payments based on the amount of carbon that is being sequestered in the soil.

That makes me feel like they are paying based on quality of timber as well as quantity. I think we have roughly 120 acres of timber for the 150 we selected. So roughly, you got paid $26.10/timber acre. I think we got something like $10.83. It makes sense that they would adjust the payments based on the quality of timber (which would affect the amount of carbon) present in a given woods that is deferring a timber harvest. The soil carbon credit companies are adjusting their payments based on the amount of carbon that is being sequestered in the soil.
And to that point I did have a on site survey like you. So they must have seen something they liked.

Their protocol is explained in seminar videos that I’ve watched on their site. They attempt to pay based on “carbon at risk.” How much tonnage of timber do you have on-site that they deem likely to be harvested? The more attractive, merchantable, accessible, and proximal to mills it is, the more they would pay, in theory. Their “claim to fame,” so to speak, is their means of assessing all those things remotely.

The whole thing is smoke and mirrors. Merely an exchange of dollars.

This will have an effect on the timber industry at some point. Limit the fiber available and price goes up for wood. Those prices get passed on to the consumer. Inflation isn’t going to go away anytime soon with these types of programs gaining momentum.

The whole thing is smoke and mirrors. Merely an exchange of dollars.

This will have an effect on the timber industry at some point. Limit the fiber available and price goes up for wood. Those prices get passed on to the consumer. Inflation isn’t going to go away anytime soon with these types of programs gaining momentum.
Like crp…and a million other programs

I've been saying all along that there are better carbon credit programs out there. I don't see this type of program really gaining that much steam. This is the biggest player in this specific market and they had to lay off 40% of their workforce when other carbon credit companies are expanding like crazy. I do think it's good for the industry and the environment in the short term though.

I've been saying all along that there are better carbon credit programs out there. I don't see this type of program really gaining that much steam. This is the biggest player in this specific market and they had to lay off 40% of their workforce when other carbon credit companies are expanding like crazy. I do think it's good for the industry and the environment in the short term though.
How is it good for the environment? The big companies that are buying carbon credits are not changing their ways or their “carbon usage”. They are just buying a carbon offset to keep doing what they do so they can put on their websites that they are carbon neutral.

I would argue all day long that not cutting trees for one year has zero effect on the carbon within that system. Managing a forest is a long term deal…one year in the life of a tree or forest is like a blink of an eye. The carbon is not magically released when you cut a tree. Especially in areas like Wisconsin where most everything naturally regenerates after cutting. What exactly is being lost when you harvest a tree and 10 young trees take its place?

Smoke and mirrors I tell you.

How is it good for the environment? The big companies that are buying carbon credits are not changing their ways or their “carbon usage”. They are just buying a carbon offset to keep doing what they do so they can put on their websites that they are carbon neutral.

I would argue all day long that not cutting trees for one year has zero effect on the carbon within that system. Managing a forest is a long term deal…one year in the life of a tree or forest is like a blink of an eye. The carbon is not magically released when you cut a tree. Especially in areas like Wisconsin where most everything naturally regenerates after cutting. What exactly is being lost when you harvest a tree and 10 young trees take its place?

Smoke and mirrors I tell you.
The carbon cycle they taught us in grade school said that atmospheric carbon is removed from the air and stored in living plants during photosynthesis as cellulose. When they die or are harvested, the process of decomposition, combustion liberates that carbon back into the atmosphere as CO2. I’m going off of memory here. They’re paying landowners to keep that carbon stored in living trees for 12 months at a time and to defer/delay release of THAT carbon back to the atmosphere. That science is sound. Comprehensive use of programs like this, in theory, makes for more carbon to be stored in dense plant tissue (trees) instead of being in the atmosphere. That’s why they’re interested in timber, not fast growing vibrant early successional growth. Trees store more carbon simply because they’re heavier. Notice I said “store” and not “remove.” I haven’t been satisfied that mature forests actively sequester at higher rates than early successional growth. At least that’s what I make from it all.

It makes a little more sense when you think of carbon as a finite material and understand we have a choice of which form that carbon exists in. Plant matter or atmospheric CO2.

I wont debate you on the true efficacy of programs like this to curb climate change or the science behind real concern with atmospheric carbon levels, though. Are these programs moving the needle on solutions to real problems? Hell if I know!

Last edited:
Any update on this? We are exploring our options currently and trying to figure out the best option.

NCAPX is no longer doing annual contracts. Only decades-long ones now.

The carbon cycle they taught us in grade school said that atmospheric carbon is removed from the air and stored in living plants during photosynthesis as cellulose. When they die or are harvested, the process of decomposition, combustion liberates that carbon back into the atmosphere as CO2. I’m going off of memory here. They’re paying landowners to keep that carbon stored in living trees for 12 months at a time and to defer/delay release of THAT carbon back to the atmosphere. That science is sound. Comprehensive use of programs like this, in theory, makes for more carbon to be stored in dense plant tissue (trees) instead of being in the atmosphere. That’s why they’re interested in timber, not fast growing vibrant early successional growth. Trees store more carbon simply because they’re heavier. Notice I said “store” and not “remove.” I haven’t been satisfied that mature forests actively sequester at higher rates than early successional growth. At least that’s what I make from it all.

It makes a little more sense when you think of carbon as a finite material and understand we have a choice of which form that carbon exists in. Plant matter or atmospheric CO2.

I wont debate you on the true efficacy of programs like this to curb climate change or the science behind real concern with atmospheric carbon levels, though. Are these programs moving the needle on solutions to real problems? Hell if I know!

The carbon cycle I learned in school was little different. If you cut the trees and turn them in to a durable good, the carbon is stored long term and will not be released in a fire. The area is then ecologically reset to start capturing more carbon in the form of woody growth. By allowing mature woodlands to avoid harvest, they are put at greater risk of fire, which is what nature does since nature doesn't own a sawmill or need a house.

However, all this is pointless in reality. I have a bit of experience in being a professional scientist working with native ecosystems. I work with archaeologists, biologists, geophysicists, geologists, etc on a daily basis. Atmospheric carbon does not control climate and never has, and I have yet to meet an experienced scientist who believes it does (because there is no evidence that it does).

Smoke and mirrors is correct.

However, all this is pointless in reality. I have a bit of experience in being a professional scientist working with native ecosystems. I work with archaeologists, biologists, geophysicists, geologists, etc on a daily basis. Atmospheric carbon does not control climate and never has, and I have yet to meet an experienced scientist who believes it does (because there is no evidence that it does).

Of course. It's all just a cash grab. Temperature increases typically preceed rises in atmospheric CO2. It's an obvious scam if you look at the actual evidence. It's the secular version of faith healers.

Did anyone continue this after the initial rollout? If I remember correctly they paused for a year and then maybe picked it back up recently?