Seedling take rate?

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
So last year I collect 150 or so acorns that I kept in the fridge that sprouted and that I planted in the spring when it was still cold out. It may or may not have gotten below 32 after I planted them. And by planting I mean taking a shovel, putting a split in the ground, putting them in and stepping the split closed. It is a field that I planted them in that the grasses and weeds grew pretty high, 3 feet maybe? Any chance any of them survived? I am just wondering if it is worth trying to do it again this year? I have a few variety of oaks near me that produce lots of acorns at a young age and am wondering if I should try and collect the acorns again this year. Is there a better way to do it? The field is all overgrown and gets knocked down by the snow in the winter and spring. I want to try and convert it to woods. I happen to have some maple seedlings, not sure I should plant those out there or not. I am thinking I dont want a bunch of maples..

I've had good luck collecting acorns in the fall when they drop and immediately plant them under an inch of dirt wherever I need some new oaks. I do the same thing with wild plums this time of year.

If you have a large field to plant you would likely have good luck by disking up the field now, broadcast large numbers of acorns and then lightly disk the field to cover the acorns.

Depending on how many trees you want, you need to decide if you'd prefer to protect a handful of acorns/trees or plant a shitload and expect most of them to get dug up by squirrels or browse killed shortly after sprouting.

I'm new to this but the unprotected acorns I tried, even on my deck, were almost a complete loss to squirrels. The ones i planted using @OakSeeds method of cutting the bottom off a plastic plant container and using landscaping staples to hold down hardware mesh over the top are at near 100% survival.

It can be done, but your success rate is going to be low. In the situation you describe, site prep is going to be key. You need to be able to knock back the native vegetation in order to get the seedlings started. I have direct seeded several thousand acorns and have a few trees to show for it. I think raising acorns in a bed or pots and then transplanting them after the first year is more productive, but I still direct seed some acorns each year.

Here a few things to read about direct seeding that may increase your success. The short version is first followed by a very lengthy, detailed version.

https://extension.msstate.edu/sites/default/files/publications/publications/P1588_web.pdf

https://www.csu.edu/cerc/researchreports/documents/IllinoisDirectSeedingHandbook2003.pdf

I would round up spray the native vegetation this fall and plant the acorns in the spring. Tubes and weed mats would be ideal. Oaks respond very favorably to tree tubes. Also a flower bulb plugger works exceptionally well to plant acorns. I like the ProPlugger

Personally I wouldn’t bother with maples if deer habitat is your end goal maples are rather poor deer trees.

I use them big Azz plastic cups from quick trip etc. I drill holes in the bottom of em so they drain like planting pots.

start em in the garage, then plant them once I know they are going.

but I live in a very arid environment at 5000 feet of elevation.

it’s irrigated ground.

I have had good success growing oak trees from acorns, but I usually start them in the barn in the spring, then transplant them and protect them with tubes after they get started. A lot of maintenance but I am now getting acorns from trees I planted years ago.

There is some info and photos in this thread:

Caging Trees in a 2022 Economy

And several other links can be found in this thread:

Acorns