All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeding rate for turnips and radishes

Josh Anderson

Yearling... With promise
Next summer I want to plant a mixture of radishes and turnips how much seed of each should I use per acre?

Lots written on this topic.

I put down 3 lbs of Purple top turnips and 5 lbs of radish per acre. Most of us will also put in about 3 lbs of Dwarf Essex Rape (just leaves - no bulbs) and many will add some clover or rye to our mixes.

Weclome Josh!

Not sure of your location so it's hard to tell much about a plant date. I plant some after the 4th of July and some later in July or early August (Minnesota).

We were planning on 4-6 weeks till frost from emergence. We're going on 10 now, and it doesn't look like we'll get a killing frost for a while.

I hunt in very north western Minnesota about 10 miles of Canada on a normal year we get a frost in middle of September

I try to plant 8-10lbs total of whatever brassicas I'm planting, here in MI I try to get them in around July 4th. Welcome Josh.

I hunt in very north western Minnesota about 10 miles of Canada on a normal year we get a frost in middle of September

For you....anytime after the 4th of July would make sense. Sometimes I split my seeding efforts....in order to reduce my risk in catching timely rainfalls......and the maturity seems to be somewhat different too. If I were you tho.....I'd get it done in July.

Lots of good advice here so far. "Standard" brassica mix for us would consist of 3lbs PPT, 3lbs DER, 4 lbs daikon radish(like Groundhog or Tillage). Our average date of first frost is Sept 17th, so I would think you are in the same timeframe as what we used. Plant between July 1st and July 15th to ensure they reach maximum bulb size before first frost. There are many other things you can do to help with the possibility of a failure, some guys use split planting dates and plant the same mix in each area. Another way to achieve this is to get some longer season brassicas like kale and rutabagas and plant them in early/mid June and then follow up with the shorter season PPT/DER/Radish mix in July.

Make sure of your plot size and plant 6-8lbs per acre. never seed more than 10lbs per acre. Just a waste of seed and over crowding brassicas is never good for bulb or tuber's to grow to maximum size. Good luck and post pictures.

I know our first killing frost was about a week and a half ago. And I have a lot of pigweed in my plots.. Problems with planting sugarbeet anyway to control that

Go light with the Brassicas if you plant early and are using turnips. A good way to spread it out is to add Red Clover seed into the mix to help you not over-seed. I maybe do 2-3 lbs total when planting early (June) but I use a lot of hybrid turnips and rugular turnips and that one little seed can take up a lot of room. With Radishes I will do about the 3-4 lbs an acre. Just go light. You can always add more seed later. The worst thing you can do is over-seed with brassicas and radishes. Put down plenty of Fertilizer and top dress it with more when you get a good rain in late July or August.

these guys gave you some good answers. I usually go for 4th of July for SE MN and have pretty good luck. But I think planting a little early is a good idea though in case you get a dry spell.