Seed storage.

scott44

5 year old buck +
I was cleaning the pole barn the other day and after cleaning my "Habitat" corner I was thinking how many times you here the question "can I save and store food plot seed". This is what I do throughout the year when I find seed on sale or just something I had been looking for, I buy it and store it in totes or in a large wooden crate I have. In the past I've found rye hard to get when I wanted to plant so I started buying it this fall for next fall's planting and storing it in totes, I also add rye to a bunch of other plantings such as my sorghum mix so I have extra for this. Storing seed this way I haven't noticed any noticable germination difference.
Let's see or here what everyone does.

Habitat corner

Bfw1vdb.jpg

vRySRU4.jpg

6vkCWxE.jpg

I used to hoard seed for the very same reasons. I got tired of moving it around and moving around it. What I would still do is buy all my seed for the year in the spring, and buy it before the farmers find out their fields are 12" of mud soup on top of concrete and they won't get planted in time. Just beat them to the prevent plant cover crop seeds, and the whole catalog is yours.

I'm dwindling down some of my hangover seed stash. Still got some buckwheat, sunflower, and a fresh bag of sorghum. If I can't prove out the sorghum and the sunflowers next year, that'll be the last they get ordered. I try to keep some clover and chicory seed and at least a bag of broadcastable cereal in case something comes up. Otherwise, this August, I purged my stuff hard. Lots of everything-mixes got planted, and they look great.

I keep all my seed in an old, old chest freezer that's dead. Bug, mice proof.
Good idea, my sister keeps horse feed in a old chest freezer.

In plastic garbage cans with lids. Usually put a couple of 2x4's under each so the floor temp does not impact.

I rarely have any seed left over, and if I do, it is small like clover and it goes in a freezer bag and is placed in the garage refrigerator. Granted, we are only planting around 6 acres and most of it is already in Durana, so we just get enough to over seed the plots with rye, then some brassicas here and there.

I use everything from plastic trash cans with lids to washed out milk jugs or even washed out 2 liter bottles and even the plastic buckets cat litter comes in (these are actually pretty nice because they stack well). I prefer to try to use something I would otherwise throw away vs buy something. Yes, it can look pretty red-neck but it works and it saves me a little money. I particularly store my corn and soybean seed this way as often times will have it available that I may not be planting that year.....when my rental farmer says, "Hey you still want the extra seed out of the planter?".....I jump all over it.

........home depot 5 gallon buckets

bill

I was cleaning the pole barn the other day and after cleaning my "Habitat" corner I was thinking how many times you here the question "can I save and store food plot seed". This is what I do throughout the year when I find seed on sale or just something I had been looking for, I buy it and store it in totes or in a large wooden crate I have. In the past I've found rye hard to get when I wanted to plant so I started buying it this fall for next fall's planting and storing it in totes, I also add rye to a bunch of other plantings such as my sorghum mix so I have extra for this. Storing seed this way I haven't noticed any noticable germination difference.

Habitat corner

Bfw1vdb.jpg

vRySRU4.jpg

6vkCWxE.jpg
Sounds like you don’t have any issues with the way you store seed. Is it fair to say that in the summer months it gets over 80 in there? I am leaning towards ordering a pallet next May just to get all my seed at one time. I am leaning towards getting the 55 gallon plastic drums with sealable lids but they would be in a barn or detached garage and the summer heat is concerning.

Habitat corner

Bfw1vdb.jpg

vRySRU4.jpg

6vkCWxE.jpg
Sounds like you don’t have any issues with the way you store seed. Is it fair to say that in the summer months it gets over 80 in there? I am leaning towards ordering a pallet next May just to get all my seed at one time. I am leaning towards getting the 55 gallon plastic drums with sealable lids but they would be in a barn or detached garage and the summer heat is concerning.

I store mine in a deep freezer ( chest style ) that no longer works. Keeps mice out and reduces the temps to which seed is exposed in the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk