Season Long Deer Sighting Reports

I hunt in SE MN primarily on the 40 acres we own and also occasionally on a friend's farm. On my land once my corn field was picked in late October we averaged seeing 8-10 does and 2 bucks per evening sit. This is actually a little lower than last year which was the first year we moved here - last year I had it all planted to food plots and this year most of it was corn. The field I typically hunt on is about 5 acres, so it's a great place to see deer, but often difficult to have the right deer walk into bow range. I don't own the woods they typically bed in, so my best chance is hunting the field edge in stands that can allow me to enter and exit without being spotted. Hunting a 5 acre field gets a lot more productive during gun season though and my dad bagged a nice 112" 8 point buck that was either 2.5 or 3.5. I had the farmer leave a few rows of corn standing and told him he can't plow the field up until spring, so I think my average deer sighting will increase until the end of bow season.

Next weekend we'll be hunting my land in Rusk County WI and my average deer count will decrease significantly. We're usually lucky to see one buck per year up there during the gun season, so we're not going to be too picky. I still look forward to the WI gun opener more than any other day - up there you just never know what will cross your shooting lane in the black spruce swamp.

I was seeing up to 60 a night early season. We've dumped over 20 does(not any buck fawns going on 4 years!). I see anywhere from 10 to 0 a sit now. The deer are in the unpicked corn, which will be gone this week. I want at least 10 more does tagged by Christmas, which won't be a problem.
That amount of does hasn't really helped mature buck sightings. Haven't seen a buck over 135, so it looks like I might be eating my buck tag. My cousin has pics of a huge nt, so there is some hope out there. I just haven't seen him yet, wish he would be hanging on my place.

I have only 28 days in the stand this year, this time last year it was around 50 days I think. All in Missouri, no days in MN. Can't tell you how many deer I have seen, but it is a lot of them. Last night I saw 17, with 7 being bucks. That morning I saw 15 deer 7 miles away on another farm in the first hour, Then I got down out of stand to help my daughter get her deer out. She has seen almost 50 different deer in 1 and half days of gun hunting. Over half were bucks.

I've seen 2 tails about 150 yards out going into the neighbors corn field & 1 shooter that didn't come close enough.

mid Michigan ( Clare county ) see 15 / 20 deer per sit. one 2.5 year old buck sighting per sit, but nothing older so far. A few 3.5 year old bucks on camera but no sightings while hunting. lots of does have twins this year which is a good sign

Last edited:
3 afternoon sits on my property. 51 deer total. 9 bucks. Only one shooter at 16 yards facing straight at me, no shot. This is the most deer I have seen on my land. With the snow and cold weather I think a lot of deer have migrated from surrounding properties to hit my brassica plots. With a closed doe season in Langlade county this season I think there are going to be a lot of deer running around next year. Lots of shooters on camera. My son hunted the same days and saw more deer than me and most of those were different deer.

It looks like chummer and I have about the worst hunting on this site.

I cannot believe seeing 15-20 deer per sit. I have not seen that happen for about 10 years-since the herd reduction/elimination efforts from our state.

It looks like chummer and I have about the worst hunting on this site.

I cannot believe seeing 15-20 deer per sit. I have not seen that happen for about 10 years-since the herd reduction/elimination efforts from our state.
If I am lucky enough to see 13 deer the weekend after Thanksgiving it will put me at 15 for the year:(

Our rifle season just started and in 26 hours I've seen 1 buck, 1 doe and 2 fawns. Bow season, 2 bucks, 2 does and 2 fawns in about 15 hours on stand. This is at by far one of the better farms around the area. Looks like from what I've been hearing New England will once again have the worst hunting in the country!

Looks like the news today shows You will finally have a little tracking snow.:)
I won't have follow tracks, I will be able to follow their belly trail.

I think I had about 15 sits this year. Anywhere from 1.5 hrs to about 4 for the longest. Saw at least a few deer for over half the sits. The best one was on Nov 1 when I saw 12 deer and at 11 were different deer. 9 were on a 15 acre field and 2 were on a 3/4 acre food plot through a gap in the trees. 2 were spikes and the rest were does and fawns. I am guessing it was a vast majority of the deer for a good chunk of land around there.

Saw one buck come out to chase a doe on Nov 8 right when it was getting dark so I couldn't get a good look at it. It was on the same 15 acre field mentioned above.

Sits on my own 40 were tough, half the time I spooked deer going out to the stand. I need to rethink my strategy for that place and start getting it set up better.