Scrapes

foggy

5 year old buck +
Saw a few scrapes along my trails in the woods today. The first I've seen this year. .....and so it begins.

Funny you posted this Foggy - I saw a small scrape in one of my plots which is not common on my place tonight. I have found a few rubs as well, but scrapes are few and far between in my area. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens - it was fresh enough that my stupid dog rolled in it like they do.......stupid dog!

I hope that's the case on my place as well. I've had a distinct lack of bucks for the past two months, while having 3 families worth of booty living in the middle of my property.

:) My female dog squats and pees in each one. Not sure how that effects hunting as I don't walk her where I hunt.

Saw a few small scrapes last week.

Only walking the edge of my place right now but saw a nice scrape today under a white oak. Looks like it was made last night.

I hae seen an occasional one while partridge hunting.

October 20 is a common starting point for more action. We are almost there. It seems like an occasional old doe will cycle about then.

I didn't have any scrapes last year. I had a couple man-made ones that I kept going from the year before but they were never hit by a deer.

The year before I had man made ones that were challenged with new scrapes a few feet away in early October. This year I skipped the fake ones just to see if we'd go without yet again.

Kind of a cool scrape story... I was bow hunting near a scrape "but not over it" on a corner of my big food plots 7 years ago. I was just about to get down until I seen a body from out in the plot headed straight for the scrape. What that buck did to that scrape made me literally afraid to get down!!! The thrashing, grunting, scraping, was violent. Never seen anything like it since. Back to the scraping activity reports... I saw a few scrapes on the edges of my plots were I have a few cameras.

:) My female dog squats and pees in each one. Not sure how that effects hunting as I don't walk her where I hunt.

Saw a few small scrapes last week.

I took a leak on some last year that were in front of the camera. Deer didn't seem to mind.

I also checked an area last saturday and found 3 small scrapes. Always the first place on our farm to have any scrapes as far as I can tell.

I walked a good deal of my woods today trying to find squirrels for my daughter to shoot. We saw several scrapes. My woods food plot had four scrapes which was a first. Probably found close to 20 total.

Just saw 1st one on Sunday morning.

Scrapes and lots of tree rubs showing up here.

Funny you posted this Foggy - I saw a small scrape in one of my plots which is not common on my place tonight. I have found a few rubs as well, but scrapes are few and far between in my area. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens - it was fresh enough that my stupid dog rolled in it like they do.......stupid dog!
I just got trail cam pics of a pair of boxers checking out a scrape....no rolling in it though....lol.

I've had one cam on a mock scrape since mid September...does and fawns and young bucks have been using it since then. In years past I always started my mock scrapes in July or august....would consistently have bucks working them all summer.

When i started the other scrape I halfheartedly started another one but didn't put a cam on nor have actively tended it. It got pounded on the night of the 18th.

Total of one scrape at our place that has been spotted. First non resident buck moved in though, things are just starting to change.