Scions

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
Looking to buy some rootstock from bluehill next month and try and graft for the first time. I'm not sure how folks do this, my property is in Southern Ohio and there isn't much fruit in the area. Do any of you have scion wood available if I can throw a few $ at it?

Also is there an equipment list ill need to get started? My understanding is I can graft scion onto the rootstock, is that correct.

Are you sure the rootstock won’t be arriving in spring?

I am north of you, but I feel the window on grafting has closed until March or April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Sanbur said, rootstocks are available in late winter. So ordering now means it shows up then. You get scionwood then too from dormant winter pruning. You store each until you are ready to benchgraft. You benchgraft a piece of scion onto the rootstock. plant out around last frost date. At that time, you can also graft onto previously planted rootstock - usually to regraft last year’s failures.

good luck. Watch YouTube videos and grafting

That's the plan, a pre order in September and receive the rootstock at end of winter. Looking to see if there's anyone that could share scion wood when the time comes.

In addition to trading scions on here, and buying them from orchards, I've gotten free scions from GRIN. They tended to be on the small side but I was able to work with them.

You should be able to get scions during the swap here in mid winter. I can hook you up early spring with a lot of good Ohio proven fruit tree scion varieties then if you want.

Absolutely! Anyone e ever buy rootstock from Ryan at bkue hill nursery? I'd be real interested in pear and crab varieties. Also persimmon but I've never had luck, lost the 3 I planted last yr.

You should be able to get scions during the swap here in mid winter. I can hook you up early spring with a lot of good Ohio proven fruit tree scion varieties then if you want.
Just curious, bang for your buck what works best in Ohio for you from an attraction standpoint? I jumped in a planted a variety but now would really like to get the best proven trees for my region. Ive got a wide variety of crabs (believe 12) with varying drop dates from blue hill and northern whitetail crab, 6 keifer, 4 whitneys, a liberty, pink lady, 1 enterprise, 3 dr deer pear.

You are on the right track with Blue Hill and NWC, would be hard to go wrong with them.

Enterprise, Gala and Arkansas Black are good wildlife apples for me along with crabs.

Pears do really good here and pretty much everything eats them, Keiffer/Moonglow/Ayers/Korean Giant and all the late ones from Wildlife Group.