All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scion storage

D

dipper

my ? Got buried in the scion exchange thread, I'll ask here. Can scions be stored in air tight food saver bags? We have a lot of fruit in our frig so I want to keep the scions safe. I don't have any apples though.

I think you might have to be the guinnea pig on this one dipper, I just dont know, My gut says they need to breathe but maybe not. I have stored scions with fruit as long as it wasnt apples with no problems at all. Maybe do half and half?

Those scions are frozen while they are on the tree all winter. Is it too much of the warming up and freezing again that gets to them?

Last year I harvested my scion and stored them in a cold garage in a foam cooler that was partly open. Some of the scions took. Not sure if that is good or bad. I thought the foam cooler would moderate temp. fluctuations.

I guess its hit or miss Sandbar but I guess I would feel better if I were using scions that were not frozen again after harvest and would wonder if I were putting dead scionwood on good rootstocks

I guess its hit or miss Sandbar but I guess I would feel better if I were using scions that were not frozen again after harvest and would wonder if I were putting dead scionwood on good rootstocks
I agree. What if you harvest them when they are frozen and just keep them that way for a bit?

I had some ice in my scion storage bags last winter, when I was trying to get my fridge to the right temp. I didnt feel like it had a impact on my success. I would think temperature swings from warm to cold would be more damaging. Cant say that I have heard anyone speak to the use of vacuum saled bags before, good or bad.

I have only used gallon sized ziplock style bags and I do have apples in my fridge. Air tight is air tight, meaning the gasses will not be able to penetrate the bags. If you want to be double sure just use two bags. I have not had any issues for the past two years with scions stored this way for up to 2.5 months.

How much water should be in the bag? I know Ed said he uses a drop or two on the other site. I recieved some that had a considerable amount of moisture in the bag. Should I dry it out a bit? Should I seal the ends once I get my treekote? I'm rind grafting in May or whenever "The leaves are the size of a squirrels ear" :)

How much water should be in the bag? I know Ed said he uses a drop or two on the other site. I recieved some that had a considerable amount of moisture in the bag. Should I dry it out a bit? Should I seal the ends once I get my treekote? I'm rind grafting in May or whenever "The leaves are the size of a squirrels ear" :)

I use a damp paper towel or newspaper. Then I leave the ziploc open, run my hand under the faucet and flick a few drops in. I do that twice. Doesn't take much.