Schlabachs - have you ordered?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
If you have ordered from this nursery, please let me know how things went. I have two rows of apple trees planted on a slope facing south east. There are approximately 12 trees in each row. The rows are 30 feet apart and the trees are 27-30 feet apart from each other in the rows. I planted them to have plenty of room to mow around. They are all M-7 rootstock. I am thinking of getting 18 more trees and plant a new one in between each tree to cut the spacing down to 13-15 between each tree.

Schlabachs is the most reasonably priced nursery I have found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What kind of prices do they have? Any extra handling charges?

I've been getting trees from them for a few years now . I don't know about the shipping because I don't live far and pick them up when I'm ready .
Have gotten apples , peaches , cherries , chestnut , blueberries , and others . I highly recommend his book" Backyard Fruit Production " the best money I ever spent
simple and informative . Could go on but I wont . just awesome people

They are Amish and don’t have a website and are located past Rochester NY in Medina NY. You need to call them and order catalog

Guy knows his stuff. I have a local shop that stocks his stuff each spring (I'm in the middle of Ohio's amish country)

His stuff is revered around here by fruit tree guys

I just ordered the catalog and talked Abram on phone and he was very knowledgeable. Can’t wait to get the catalog

I just ordered the catalog and talked Abram on phone and he was very knowledgeable. Can’t wait to get the catalog

I have the catalog. Good variety and great prices, but very limited options with regard to rootstock. For those who are planting for wildlife it may not be a good option because Bud-9 seems to be their preferred rootstock for apples.

Abram told me they have emla 7, M-111, B118, and a few of the Geneva rootstocks all of which are good for apples. I think the ones he mentioned will work for me as they go from 80% of standard to 35% of standard

Guy knows his stuff. I have a local shop that stocks his stuff each spring (I'm in the middle of Ohio's amish country)

His stuff is revered around here by fruit tree guys

That's where I hunt. In Holmes County. Is there a good place to buy apple trees near there?

I saw they have an add in Fur-Fish-Game magazine this month.

Abram told me they have emla 7, M-111, B118, and a few of the Geneva rootstocks all of which are good for apples. I think the ones he mentioned will work for me as they go from 80% of standard to 35% of standard

I will call tomorrow if I get time. The catalogue does not suggest they have those rootstocks available. Thanks for the update.

What is the earliest you prune in your neck of the woods you are a few hours north of me.

I will call tomorrow if I get time. The catalogue does not suggest they have those rootstocks available. Thanks for the update.

What is the earliest you prune in your neck of the woods you are a few hours north of me.

I do it whenever I get time. This year probably March or late Feb.

So I decided to take a morning and make the 1 1/2 hour drive to Medina to check out Schlabach's Nursery. I had called in March and talked to David who runs the nursery with his sons. He assured me that if I made the drive, someone would be able to show me around their place. I found David and his sons to be very friendly and helpful, the nursery was clean, neat and organized down to the ice room which is used to keep their tree storage area cold. I found the trees to be quite large, some were over 7 foot and almost all were well feathered with large root systems. similar to what I have previously received from Adams and Stark. The prices listed in their catalog are very reasonable with a maximum price of $16 per tree in quantities of 1 to 5, with specialty heirloom varieties or custom grafted trees going for $18. They seem to have most to the common Disease resistant varieties in their inventory, including a few crabs. Most are available on semi dwarf rootstock including M7, M111 or B118. Unfortunately, my apple orchards are already stuffed full of trees so I left empty handed. David did add that they were completely sold out for this spring. I have included a few pictures.

Schladach's ice roomIMG_5445.JPG

Thanks for all the info and pix. It's good to know of another high quality nursery that sells good stock. Their trees look very nice.

How does 1 obtain a catalog for next year?

Schlabach's Nursery is Amish and kind of off-the-grid, if I remember.
Order a catalog ($2) and then use USPS to send in orders. No telephone contact.
Once you are on their mailing list you will receive a catalog for a few years free of charge.

UPDATE!
Schlabach's Nursery
2784 Murdock Rd, Medina NY 14103
phone: (585) 798-6198 (best time to call is AM)
Toll-free voice mail for catalog requests only: 1-866-600-5203.

I was able to get a catalog sent to me free of charge just by calling and requesting one.