Scents during rut

I dont, figure if they can smell it, they can smell the fact that I put it there.

But I dont slay giants either so there is that.
My philosophy and results as well. I'm a very low intrusion guy. Use the wind, slip in, slip out, so they don't even know it's hunting season.

I'm sure like many of you, back in the 80's I'd buy Tinks 69 and pour a little into the little 35mm black plastic film canisters with a piece of cotton inside and put them out all around me. Did that for 20 years and eventually realized I was just doing it all wrong and pissing money away. Tried Code Blue for many years. Eventually I stopped using scents all together.

My brother and I have had the most luck with Hunter's Specialty's Doe in Estrous scent wafers. Not sure what it is about them, but I will say they do seem to pull bucks in. He started using them before me and had all kinds of great stories...I was skeptical. I tried them out of curiosity and had similar experiences.

After deer season ends on Dec. 31st, I carry a little plastic Ziploc bag with me when I am scouting, logging, skiing, hiking, etc. If I find a nice concentrated spot of frozen doe urine in the snow I'll pop it out, let it thaw, and then bottle it and refreeze it for occasional use as a cover scent the following fall.

At the risk of you guys laughing :)

I have tried many different doe/buck urine with very little reactions in that category and spent a fair amount of money on it. It would occasionally work ok on the young bucks but I think every deer is unique in personality and it certainly could garner the attention of even old bucks in the right situation.

After I spray myself down with scent killer I let it dry then put a few squirts of Fitzgerald's Deer Dander on the bottom of my boots and pant legs and also spray a few squirts just off the path between 20-30 yards from my stand.
This isn't a magic bullet, I have had bucks of all ages just throw their noses in the air and carry on but more times than not if a doe smells it they seem curious about it and seem to hang around smelling it. Multiple times I have had does bed down on the very spot I sprayed, bucks seem curious about it but in general it seems to have less effect. I really only use it as cover scent and the short time of having distracted does (free decoys) hanging around my stand.

I haven’t used any in years, until this year. A friend of mine swears by Black Widow XXX, so I just bought some and will actually be giving it a try this afternoon. I have several bucks in my area this year, but no decent ones while I am in the woods. Let’s see if this will change that.

cow manure. as cover scent. Used to step in it while walking to stand. Its all I could smell.

Last edited:
I pee out of my stand... and i've shot some nice bucks. Let me know if you want a bottle! :emoji_grin:

I pee out of my stand... and i've shot some nice bucks. Let me know if you want a bottle! :emoji_grin:
Thanks for the offer,I think I'll pass thou