Sawtooth oak acorn source?

Yes. Someone just started one

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

DCO in Oklahoma ripen (Sept 1st) before any Sawtooth. I too am starting a bunch of DCO as I am not worried about the drop times and more of an all you can eat buffet for as long as possible. After all its not all about when they drop but having a variety of different trees dropping at different times. In the end the guy that has the steady grocery supply all year beats the neighbor every time. I am currently watching new saws to see what kind of drop times they have. I would think if you could get a mixture going from Sept - Nov you would pretty much own the deer population in the area. To be fair on the Saws the local population took temps to -30 and still alive and well today but they do thrive in the heat and droughty areas as they can out compete just about anything. Bur Oak would survive your winters just fine and their are lots of hybrids of them producing in less than 10yrs. I just grabbed some Bur x Swamp acorns from very young tree that was raining acorns and cold tolerant as any oak. Burs also grow very fast, mine added 3ft this yr which is not as fast as a saw but still super fast for an oak. As far as DCO acorns goes Blitz is the best source. I have at least 80% germination right now and I have only had them for 2 weeks. Everyday a few more pop!

I purchased the DCO acorns through Blitz, so I'm glad I got that part right at least :)

Any recommendations on where to get fast growing burr oak acorns?

I like your steady food supply philsophy and am hoping to implement something similar on my ground.

I purchased the DCO acorns through Blitz, so I'm glad I got that part right at least :)

Any recommendations on where to get fast growing burr oak acorns?

I like your steady food supply philsophy and am hoping to implement something similar on my ground.
I posted the seed trade link on one of your posts above. Most of us have access to really nice, large bur oaks so we can get you some just post it on the link so that when they drop you will be in the loop. To have a bur grow fast you really need to grow them in rootmaker root pruning trays or they will spend most of their energy sinking a deep tap root.

I posted the seed trade link on one of your posts above. Most of us have access to really nice, large bur oaks so we can get you some just post it on the link so that when they drop you will be in the loop. To have a bur grow fast you really need to grow them in rootmaker root pruning trays or they will spend most of their energy sinking a deep tap root.

Excellent! I have a bunch of rootmaker trays, so I'm good to go there. Thank you for your help!

I'm not going to sell any acorns this year. The freeze we had in April two years ago wiped out this year's crop. I have a few but not very many. If anbody wants some, and will pay me shipping, I'll send you some if I get any--squirrels may wipe out what is left.

I'm not going to sell any acorns this year. The freeze we had in April two years ago wiped out this year's crop. I have a few but not very many. If anbody wants some, and will pay me shipping, I'll send you some if I get any--squirrels may wipe out what is left.

I'll gladly pay shipping for some acorns - keep me posted. Thank you!

Got out and collected some Sawtooth acorns today. A couple trees were raining and a few more had acorns at all stages of growth, so I may get to get some more. I'm not sure how many I got, but it was a full shopping bag worth.

126dae301ddb8a997241f9b7b33c9938.jpg

d2194af427f86fb4d00e3da2f6b69657.jpg

I rinsed them and washed them in a mild bleach solution and laid them out to dry.

If you want any, let me know. I have some small usps flat rate boxes coming my way. I'll send it to you for $7 to cover the shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I was searching for a source to buy online some sawtooth acorns. Has anyone found a place to buy them? Thanks

Lots of guy on here have sawtooth. They typically do trades or packages of what they have available for the cost of shipping or just a little bit more. I don't need trees for a few years, so I put of the collecting game for a while.

Hey everyone, I was searching for a source to buy online some sawtooth acorns. Has anyone found a place to buy them? Thanks

I'd be careful when buying or growing sawtooth to be sure you get what you plan. I planted some many years ago. My objective then was for attraction during archery season. When the trees finally produced, all the acorns fell and were consumed in September before our season begins. Since then, I've found out that there are evidently different strains of Sawtooth. There are some that will drop in Oct and into Nov. I don't know the names of any strains. I would simply suggest that you check with the seller and find out when the acorns are dropping from their trees before buying them and make sure you are getting what works for you.

Thanks,

Jack

I'd be careful when buying or growing sawtooth to be sure you get what you plan. I planted some many years ago. My objective then was for attraction during archery season. When the trees finally produced, all the acorns fell and were consumed in September before our season begins. Since then, I've found out that there are evidently different strains of Sawtooth. There are some that will drop in Oct and into Nov. I don't know the names of any strains. I would simply suggest that you check with the seller and find out when the acorns are dropping from their trees before buying them and make sure you are getting what works for you.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks Jack, if I find a source I'll make sure to ask. Although my season starts in September so that wouldn't be all bad. But if I could get a later dropper maybe it would attract more deer, dropping after the other oaks are done..

This thread reminded me to pay attention to the drop time of the sawtooths at the baseball fields where my son plays. It will be my acorn source when I start planting. I remembered them dropping in October last year, but didn't really pay attention to exact dates.
This is where the acorns are at as of last week...
1ba4f66aeab348bc7dc6355a91023186.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk