Sawtooth oak acorn source?

escpen

Yearling... With promise
I am in need of some Sawtooth acorns for direct planting purposes. Does anyone know of a reputable source?

Thank you!

Anthony

Thunter has some good ones he shares with others.

Why not chestnuts?

I am in need of some Sawtooth acorns for direct planting purposes. Does anyone know of a reputable source?

Thank you!

Anthony

Just one thing to keep in mind. I planted sawtooth many years ago. I quit planting them for attraction because they all dropped in September and were gone well before our archery season. In the last few years, I found out that there are different strains of sawtooth. Some hold their acorns well into October and even November. I know there was a guy on the old forum that collected and sold sawtooth acorns from his late dropping trees. I'm drawing a blank on his username. Maybe he will see this and speak up.

The point is, regardless of your source, make sure the parent trees drop acorns about the time you want if it matters in your application.

Thanks,

jack

Just one thing to keep in mind. I planted sawtooth many years ago. I quit planting them for attraction because they all dropped in September and were gone well before our archery season. In the last few years, I found out that there are different strains of sawtooth. Some hold their acorns well into October and even November. I know there was a guy on the old forum that collected and sold sawtooth acorns from his late dropping trees. I'm drawing a blank on his username. Maybe he will see this and speak up.

The point is, regardless of your source, make sure the parent trees drop acorns about the time you want if it matters in your application.

Thanks,

jack

That is Tommy
The LLC there Thunter here

Yep, you jogged my memory. The LLC.

Thunter has some good ones he shares with others.

Why not chestnuts?

Now that you mention it, chestnuts would be great as well.

That is Tommy
The LLC there Thunter here

If I remember correctly, he is in the south somewhere, right? I'm in upstate NY - any issues with the difference in climate.

I have some mature sawtooths in a park a couple miles from my house I am watching to see their drop time. Started one from nut last year, so hopefully it does well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some mature sawtooths in a park a couple miles from my house I am watching to see their drop time. Started one from nut last year, so hopefully it does well.

If you happen to extras after the fact, I'd gladly buy some acorns off of you.

Shoot, if I get a chance to collect them I'd send them to you for the shipping cost.

I will add another variable to the mix. I have found local sources for sawtooth and there is a huge difference in the amount of mast produced per tree. Some will have 7 or 8 acorns in a group and absolutely loaded while the tree beside it of the same age only has 1 or 2 acorns to a group and sparse acorns on the tree. I found all of these trees today so they are out there.

I don't want to be a party pooper but I have read mixed reviews of sawtooths that far North. I don't know if they would be worth your time

LLC is located in GA.

He sells late dropping sawtooth oak.

I don't want to be a party pooper but I have read mixed reviews of sawtooths that far North. I don't know if they would be worth your time

What would you recommend instead as an alternative? Any other early producing oak species you'd recommend?

Shoot, if I get a chance to collect them I'd send them to you for the shipping cost.

I would appreciate that very much!

What would you recommend instead as an alternative? Any other early producing oak species you'd recommend?

I started some Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks from nuts this year. Germination was a bit tricky, but they produce early in life. They can be a bit more bushy than tree like. There are some more details and pics of my efforts so far here: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/dcos-and-hazelnuts.5600/

If you decide to go this route, you may be interested in this "how to" thread I copied over from the other forum: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...s-from-seed-transferred-from-old-forums.5721/ I didn't completely follow this method, but there is a lot of good information in it.

Thanks,

Jack

I started some Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks from nuts this year. Germination was a bit tricky, but they produce early in life. They can be a bit more bushy than tree like. There are some more details and pics of my efforts so far here: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/dcos-and-hazelnuts.5600/

If you decide to go this route, you may be interested in this "how to" thread I copied over from the other forum: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...s-from-seed-transferred-from-old-forums.5721/ I didn't completely follow this method, but there is a lot of good information in it.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks Jack, I had very limited success in getting DCOs to germinate in previous attempts and I'm also not sure that my soil is well suited for them (I think they like well drained soil). Thank you for the suggestion!

Anthony

Thanks Jack, I had very limited success in getting DCOs to germinate in previous attempts and I'm also not sure that my soil is well suited for them (I think they like well drained soil). Thank you for the suggestion!

Anthony

Yes, I'm not that far along with them yet. I understand they prefer well drained soil but will grow in clay. Only time will tell once I get them in the ground. I too found germination to be more difficult than other things I've grown. My solution to that was to simply start with more nuts than I needed. I had the advantage of reading Blitz's thread on growing them before I started. I tried to adapt the principles he was using to my rootmaker container system. Once germinated, they seem to have taken very well to the container system. I've seen reports that suggest one should expect about 9" of growth in the first season. Mine are well past that as you can see in the picture. I have pretty heavy clay soils, so I'll let folks know how well they do once in the field.

Thanks,

Jack

Well, I just bought some DCO acorns. Would still like to add sawtooth and chestnuts as well.

I know there used to be a thread on the old forum for acorn / chestnut / scion / seed swapping. Is there anything like that here?

DCO in Oklahoma ripen (Sept 1st) before any Sawtooth. I too am starting a bunch of DCO as I am not worried about the drop times and more of an all you can eat buffet for as long as possible. After all its not all about when they drop but having a variety of different trees dropping at different times. In the end the guy that has the steady grocery supply all year beats the neighbor every time. I am currently watching new saws to see what kind of drop times they have. I would think if you could get a mixture going from Sept - Nov you would pretty much own the deer population in the area. To be fair on the Saws the local population took temps to -30 and still alive and well today but they do thrive in the heat and droughty areas as they can out compete just about anything. Bur Oak would survive your winters just fine and their are lots of hybrids of them producing in less than 10yrs. I just grabbed some Bur x Swamp acorns from very young tree that was raining acorns and cold tolerant as any oak. Burs also grow very fast, mine added 3ft this yr which is not as fast as a saw but still super fast for an oak. As far as DCO acorns goes Blitz is the best source. I have at least 80% germination right now and I have only had them for 2 weeks. Everyday a few more pop!