Saving plot seed from previous year?

montavonm

A good 3 year old buck
Hi everyone, I found a couple big bags of brassica mix plot seed at the local store on sale (cheap), I was wanting to get them for planting next year. Will the seeds still be good next year? Or do seeds have some sort of expiration/beyond-use-date? Thanks in advance!

I've saved seed pretty long before. if you are worried do a rag test for germination rates before planting next yr.

Reactions: Tap
I've saved seed pretty long before. if you are worried do a rag test for germination rates before planting next yr.

What's is a rag test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry. Put 100 seeds in a moist paper towel or rag and leave it in a sunny spot for a few days. The number of seed that sprout is your germination rate. Let's you know how heavy to plant or if your seed is viable or not.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I save seed from year to year, just keep it dry and cool. I keep mine in the polebarn so I put it in plastic totes. Like Cat said if you are worried about it do the rag test and check it, I have had no issues keeping seed from the previous year.

The rag doll test shows you more than just viability. Seed sold for planting comes with a seed tag. That tag shows you what percentage germination you should expect based on testing. So, let's says the germination rate is 95% when you buy it. That is close enough to 100% that most folks just ignore it and plant at the recommended rote. Technically to achieve the desired plant density, you should seed at 105% of the rate.

As previously mentioned, store the seed in a cool, dry place where mice and such can't get at it. I typically keep mine in Rubbermaid tubs with lids in the barn.

When you do your rag doll test, if you start with 100 seeds soon before you plant and get 80 to sprout, you simply adjust your planting rate to be 120% of what you would use if planting fresh seed is a near 100% germination rate.

Thanks,

Jack

Sorry. Put 100 seeds in a moist paper towel or rag and leave it in a sunny spot for a few days. The number of seed that sprout is your germination rate. Let's you know how heavy to plant or if your seed is viable or not.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I've always put the damp paper towel in a zip lock. Not sure it matters, but that's what I do.
And I'm not sure where I heard it but certain species supposedly do not store well. That source told me that beans are one of the ones that don't store well, but I have no experience with storing beans.

Thanks for the input everyone! Gonna take advantage of the bargain and stock up for next year

The rag doll test shows you more than just viability. Seed sold for planting comes with a seed tag. That tag shows you what percentage germination you should expect based on testing. So, let's says the germination rate is 95% when you buy it. That is close enough to 100% that most folks just ignore it and plant at the recommended rote. Technically to achieve the desired plant density, you should seed at 105% of the rate.

As previously mentioned, store the seed in a cool, dry place where mice and such can't get at it. I typically keep mine in Rubbermaid tubs with lids in the barn.

When you do your rag doll test, if you start with 100 seeds soon before you plant and get 80 to sprout, you simply adjust your planting rate to be 120% of what you would use if planting fresh seed is a near 100% germination rate.

Thanks,

Jack
Technically you need to adjust your planting rate by 125% to get to 100%. Should be 100 divided by your germination rate (100/0.8=125)

Technically you need to adjust your planting rate by 125% to get to 100%. Should be 100 divided by your germination rate (100/0.8=125)
Yes, I was trying to make it simple for him and said "near" 100%. But you are right with the exact math.

It is not a big deal. But figured it should be said. If you had like a 60% germ rate and you used 140% you would only have an equivalent 84% germ rate (140 x 0.6).

It is not a big deal. But figured it should be said. If you had like a 60% germ rate and you used 140% you would only have an equivalent 84% germ rate (140 x 0.6).
Yep, you got the math right.

I hope so! It hasn't rained here in months. Mine is still in the shed. I don't think it will get planted this year.

I have had 6 year old soybean seed still germ better than the 90% on the bag.

As a seed seller, we don't throw the seed away at the end of the year. At least not until all the lot numbers are tested at the wholesaler. Once their samples have been regermed, they send us out new bag tags. You may be buying great seed that is 5 years old. So don't think it is new seed year in and year out anyways!