Savage Axis 2

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Picked up a Savage Axis 2 in 308 for $414 with bushnell scope.

Usually take the scope off and leave them for 22's, but I am going to keep the scope. Likely swap out the scope mount. Looks like one that might come loose on you at the worst time.....

Anybody bought a Axis?

Havent shot it yet. I usally like a deep but smooth 4-5lb trigger pull. I noticed it's adjustable. Haven't shot it yet.

I have two of the original Axis. One in 308 and one in 223. Excellent guns. I don't care for the Accutrigger, so I avoided the Axis 2. I have replaced the scope and mount for both my rifles, and I recommend you do the same. The Bushnell that came on my. 308 flat out broke internally, and they never fixed it.

I’ve got one in 243 topped it with a Vortex Viper.

Very accurate, I use it on coyotes and pronghorns.
Flat out deadly rifles at a great price.

I’ve not picked up an axis yet but for the money they look to be a great little rifle. My cousin did pick one up in 223 but I’ve not been around to see his yet he seems happy with its accuracy.

I sighted in a 270 axis for a buddy

He bought it at cabelas they sold him a Burris scope and low rings

The rings were so low when I set the scope for eye relief the bolt wouldn’t open. The Handel hit the rear scope bell

I had to bubba up and grind the bolt Handel to get it to work

It shoot s fine.

Looking at the Savage in 350 Legend for my 10 year old's first deer season this fall. Would anyone recommend the Axis XP over the Axis II? XP has a 4" shorter barrel and doesn't have the Accutrigger. Think that would be a mistake? XP is in stock at my local store, whereas backorder on the II. Comes with the forementioned junk rings and a Weaver scope.

I prefer it without the Accutrigger.

I prefer it without the Accutrigger.
That was good enough for him. We made the order. Bird in the hand.

I gave my nephew one in .243 a number of years ago that didn't have the accutrigger. I don't remember what model it was in the axis line, but had to be on the cheaper end. Trigger was horrible. He ended up watching a YouTube video or two and did a little easy work on it. Made the trigger 10x better. Shoots great now.

I’ve got one in 243 topped it with a Vortex Viper.

Very accurate, I use it on coyotes and pronghorns.
Flat out deadly rifles at a great price.
How do you like the vortex viper? Looking for a +/- $300 scope for it. good ole 3-9x would be fine for me. Thinking of getting the dead nutz scope mount for it. Seems to work ok on my glenfield model 30 lever gun.

How do you like the vortex viper? Looking for a +/- $300 scope for it. good ole 3-9x would be fine for me. Thinking of getting the dead nutz scope mount for it. Seems to work ok on my glenfield model 30 lever gun.

Love it, was pretty pricy but am glad I did it. Tack driver with that setup... 243/TTSX/savage/viper.

I believe I have the original. It is very accurate. I had an extractor issue out of the box. I replaced it but the problem has resurfaced. I also had an issue in the bolt that caused a failure to fire. I took it to a gunsmith to fix but I haven't used it since. I grew tired of the issues.

The trigger out of the box was horrible but easy to modify after watching YouTube videos. The stock is a bit flimsy but not a huge issue. The bolt when fully extended is somewhat clunky but it's a cheap rifle. Something like that is not unreasonable. I've read others have had issues with the magazine clip breaking since it's plastic. I have not had that issue. Might he worth grabbing another just in case.

I took this year's buck with an Axis II. As a gun dealer for several years (I still maintain my FFL), the Axis series has been one of the best "bang for the buck" firearms in the industry since they came out. I believe you will enjoy the rifle and find it to be a quality firearm. The 308 is a great choice, and ammo is readily available. To get the most out of this gun, practice, practice and practice some more. Too many blame shot placement on the wrong scope (ergo, spend more money), an inexpensive rifle (yep, spend more money) or wrong calibre (...even more money). Your low price of entry should allow you to pick up plenty of ammo for practice at a variety of locations, distances and elevations. If you don't have a good practice routine, here is a process that was in Outdoor Life (Better Shooter in 200 rounds) that is similar to what I have used over the years.

We look forward to seeing pictures of successful hunts this fall.

At that price range I picked up a meopta optika 5 2-10x42 for my dads rifle. I don’t have a lot of faith in the viper scope line.

I took this year's buck with an Axis II. As a gun dealer for several years (I still maintain my FFL), the Axis series has been one of the best "bang for the buck" firearms in the industry since they came out. I believe you will enjoy the rifle and find it to be a quality firearm. The 308 is a great choice, and ammo is readily available. To get the most out of this gun, practice, practice and practice some more. Too many blame shot placement on the wrong scope (ergo, spend more money), an inexpensive rifle (yep, spend more money) or wrong calibre (...even more money). Your low price of entry should allow you to pick up plenty of ammo for practice at a variety of locations, distances and elevations. If you don't have a good practice routine, here is a process that was in Outdoor Life (Better Shooter in 200 rounds) that is similar to what I have used over the years.

We look forward to seeing pictures of successful hunts this fall.
Love those shooting drills, thanks for the link.

Reactions: 356
Wish I shot as much as I used to.... Maybe only go through 2 or 3 lbs of blackpowder through the flintlocks and 4 or 5 bricks of 22.

Picked up a 3-9x fullfield II Burris scope. Nothing fancy, but 2 have treated me well over the years.

2 months owning it, still havent shot it........

Tried putting the fullfield 2 on it. Bought the DNZ one piece aluminum mount. They have 2 axis mounts..... One with 6-48 screws and another with 8-40 mounting. Bought the 6-48, but needed the 8-40. Since I went with the old reliable burris route, I bought burris signature rings to put on the factory 2 piece weaver mounts. They're steel mounts, but the scope rings were cheapie aluminum ones. Think I'll be OK with the setup.

Hopefully, food plotting dont get in the way of sighting it in up north over the weekend.

Shot it last weekend at 50 yards. I think it'll group well for 200-250 yards. I cant get over that darn trigger. Gun when off by accident 5 times out of 11. Jumped the trigger... looking to buy a aftermarket trigger. Otherwise might sell it.

Bolt seems stiff too. But was shooting Winchester m80 rounds. Could be that. Was going to use Winchester 150gr power points, but couldn't get a good vertical adjustment due to that hair trigger.

I've gunsmithed a few times. 2 guns I added pull resistance and grit to the trigger. Got to see what I can work with.

Put a s ope back on my 30-30 lever gun that weekend. 3 shots I was dialed in.... did 2 3 shot groups to verify. Then whacking the 100 yard 6 inch going a few times. 100 yard zero.... 45 year old eyes are questioning peep sights....... still have a Lyman peep on a 22 for fun..

Last edited:
How can the trigger be so light that you accidentally break it half of the time? Does it break at the same pull weight each time?

Feels around 2lb... it's a 2 stage trigger. Usually the 1st lever lifts the trigger off the seat base, the the main trigger lever does the rest of the way to release.

The gun is well liked, the trigger isn't. Maybe I can grind down the 1st stage. So etimes the seat face is too polished. Hit it with some rough sandpaper or a light file dress.

I find a centercire rifle a necessary evil in comparison to my flintlock collection..

I try to build a 4.5lb trigger with about a 1/8 to 3/16 of creep. Used to shoot in a 22 league with a modified marlin 917t. Also, built a few skis rifles for a local military match. Did pretty good on mild wind days.

Regret not buying a other browning...... love citori's, my 450 marlin BLT, and a a bolt 243 with gen 1 nightvision.