Sausage texture

Telemark

5 year old buck +
I'm looking for advice on how to improve the texture of venison sausages.

The sausages I make are fine as far as flavor, but they have a texture that too closely resembles a hamburger in a casing rather than a proper sausage. Even using a finer grind I don't get the binding effect I'm after. I've tried mixing til my fingers hurt from the cold.

Do I just need to mix more? Is it a temperature thing? Need more fat?

My guess is you need a higher fat content to get it to bind better if you’re already grinding it with a fine plate.

Are you sending it through the grinder twice?

More fat, water or rusk all come to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I grind it twice. Coarse then fine.

What percent fat should I be using? I think we use about 15%.

What is rusk? Just breadcrumbs?

I've read it should be a minimum of 20%-25%

Ok I will be sure to up the fat.

Yes I grind it twice. Coarse then fine.

What percent fat should I be using? I think we use about 15%.

What is rusk? Just breadcrumbs?
Rusk or breadcrumbs would serve the same purpose as a binder. With only 15% fat I think I would start there first.

The texture of venison sausage is definitely different than the standard pork sausage. Our venison sausage was around 60/40 venison to pork if I remember right (I think we just bought some cheap fatty pork roasts to grind up). The flavor was really good, but the texture was not quite like the store bought sausage.

Last year we made some sausage from the pigs we grew on our place. We used the same grinding and mixing as the prior venison mix, but the 100% pork sausage had the texture exactly like you get from store bought sausage.

I prefer a bit of a courser grind myself and generally single grind my sausage but it kind of depends what I’m making also. Venison is generally exceptionally lean and drier at least the way I prepare it so a bit higher pork fat percentage than most beef/pork sausage recipes call for probably won’t hurt either.

After thinking about your question a little more it might be the way you're smoking the sausage. Are you bringing the temperature up slowly? Recipe I have says if you bring the temp. up too fast the fat will cook out of the casings leaving the sausage dry and sort of crumbly.

After thinking about your question a little more it might be the way you're smoking the sausage. Are you bringing the temperature up slowly? Recipe I have says if you bring the temp. up too fast the fat will cook out of the casings leaving the sausage dry and sort of crumbly.
We always dunked in a ice bath when it hit temp so that that it wouldn't keep cooking after removing from heat. Maybe?

We always dunked in a ice bath when it hit temp so that that it wouldn't keep cooking after removing from heat. Maybe?
Yes that's what I'm doing also.

I'm looking for advice on how to improve the texture of venison sausages.

The sausages I make are fine as far as flavor, but they have a texture that too closely resembles a hamburger in a casing rather than a proper sausage. Even using a finer grind I don't get the binding effect I'm after. I've tried mixing til my fingers hurt from the cold.

Do I just need to mix more? Is it a temperature thing? Need more fat?
#ed generation Sausage maker. To get better texture, Grind meat partially frozen and have the blades on your grinder sharpened. On smaller grinders heat builds up and makes the texture mushy. ( I use a 3/8 plate ) I cube all my meat into 3"x3" , apply the seasoning and hand mix to get even seasoning distribution. Allow the meat to sit over night. Add some moisture and hand mix prior to stuffing. Enjoy, MM

#ed generation Sausage maker. To get better texture, Grind meat partially frozen and have the blades on your grinder sharpened. On smaller grinders heat builds up and makes the texture mushy. ( I use a 3/8 plate ) I cube all my meat into 3"x3" , apply the seasoning and hand mix to get even seasoning distribution. Allow the meat to sit over night. Add some moisture and hand mix prior to stuffing. Enjoy, MM
Also 80 Lean to 20% fat on hard sausages like Salmi and Summer. 70-30% 0r 75-25% on Brats, Italians etc.
I typically Use picnic (A pork picnic cut is a cut of pork that comes from the shoulder area of the pig. It is also known as a picnic shoulder or pork shoulder. ) It's around 70-30 fat to lean. So to make a 25lb batch ( Use 15 Lbs venison and 10 od Picnic pork for brats and cooked sausages) Hard dry cured use 18-20 lbs venison 7-5 lbs of pork

Good tips. Thanks, guys. I will try this next time. I'm hoping to make a batch or two with my dad this summer.

My wife doesn't seem to care much for my sausage texture lately either, some good tips here. Thanks fellas.

My wife doesn't seem to care much for my sausage texture lately either

giphy.gif

My wife doesn't seem to care much for my sausage texture lately either, some good tips here. Thanks fellas.

Probably added a little too much fat then. It’s a balancing act for sure…

Probably added a little too much fat then. It’s a balancing act for sure…

A long time ago, when my wife and I were dating she announced to several of my friends that for every 30-50lbs you are overweight your penis gets an inch shorter. The room instantly went silent. It was hilarious!