Rubbed fruit trees

Rit

5 year old buck +
Is there anyway to save fruit trees or anything you can do to help them survive once they have been rubbed?

I have 2 Kieffer pear trees that were rubbed pretty good. I scratched below the rubs and they are still alive. What about a cut below the rub? These are small diameter trees just planted last year with only a 3/4” caliper.

I would like to see a pic, but I’ve seen trees like that heal over time. I thought I could get by without caging in my yard. Wrong.......

Pears are especially good at closing the gap and growing new bark to cover a damaged area.

I would like to see a pic, but I’ve seen trees like that heal over time. I thought I could get by without caging in my yard. Wrong.......

Pears are especially good at closing the gap and growing new bark to cover a damaged area.
Thanks native. I’ll try to get a few photos soon. I knew I needed to cage them I just ran out of time or didn’t make it a priority. I did put a tree guard on one and that worked up until the post rut.

Rubbed around the entire diameter, appreciating we're talking a fairly small diameter?

Seems most of what I've read points to larger percentage that's taken away from total diameter, increased likelihood of dying. Yet... I tried girdling number of trees a couple of years ago and not sure a single one has died yet (much larger diameter though) -- admittedly didn't spray them after "hacking" and probably revisit them next week or two.

Hope yours survive.

Rubbed around the entire diameter, appreciating we're talking a fairly small diameter?

Seems most of what I've read points to larger percentage that's taken away from total diameter, increased likelihood of dying. Yet... I tried girdling number of trees a couple of years ago and not sure a single one has died yet (much larger diameter though) -- admittedly didn't spray them after "hacking" and probably revisit them next week or two.

Hope yours survive.
Yes very small diameter first year planted trees. They weren’t rubbed all the way around just on a single side.

As far as girdling goes it can take a few years to kill the tree. I double girdled some large elm trees and they didn’t start to show signs of dying until year 2.

Time to try a bridge graft!

It will either heal or it won't. You could try a Bridge Graft.

I had some mice trouble this winter where they climbed above my 2’ of screen and girdled a couple nice NWC planted last spring. I just went out this morning with the warm weather and painted the wounds with TreeKote.
My hope is it will help keep out bugs and disease with maybe a 50/50 chance of saving the tree. Worst case tree’s should throw a new lead?

I have had most die but have had some survive. Really depends on how bad they rubbed it. You are at a wait and see point unfortunately. I will NEVER, NEVER plant another tree without a cage. Learned that lesson the hard way more than once. Unforunately I am a slow learner. :emoji_grimacing:

Most of the the time it seems they rub only one side-ish leaving you at least something on the back side to hope for... I have wrapped them and hoped for the best before... trees can be very tough or incredibly weak. I had a 10 year old apple tree get almost girthed by mice, down to about an inch left of living wood... that on a fairly large dia tree and that tree is still alive today - years later so anything is possible. If everything above the rub dies dont just dig it up and toss it, the roots will likely push up some growth so at a minimum you will be starting over with the rootstock which will make a fruit tree, a side bud may take off and grow a new leader. I would give it a chance to heal and see what happens. It may be a good opportunity to learn to graft once the rootstock sends up shoots.

I had a cage torn off a chestnut a year ago or so and they deer ate and rubbed it down to a tattered stick....I simply cut it back to healthy wood and used some grafting tar on the open wound. It survived and put 2 24" shoots on over the summer. I now need to select the best leader and remove the other one.... (on the to-do list).
I pulled this pic from my land tour thread. This tree was a healthy 5' tree BEFORE the deer got it....I had to cut it back to only 12" or so....but it has rebounded well. I suspect your pears will bounce back with a little care.
chestnut.jpg

D019B710-B754-438C-96A3-E39836AF2DEB.jpegA64B9154-2240-4959-A090-6C1029A26045.jpeg59328E01-16A5-4A2D-92B4-63E319812E7B.jpeg80E13036-AF18-4480-9C80-434FD48F6A8D.jpegC6EEFFBB-FD47-4574-B059-42FDAC0390CD.jpeg7B706166-E56A-43C5-82A9-AC6332A18AB0.jpeg

Well neither tree has died yet. The first tree put on very little growth above the rub but did leaf out. It had a bunch of sprouts below the rub and those have put on about 30” of growth. I may use some of them for bark grafts next spring.

The 2nd tree leafed out also but had very minimal vegetative growth.

What are thoughts on tree # 1 about cutting it off just below the rub? The new branches that grew out are making impressive strides.

BD2473EE-FFB4-4F04-9587-BC1D9172675C.jpegA3402614-F487-4F80-86CE-90CB25168D7A.jpeg61A33C63-6FCE-474E-ABFB-4B41B36BA11C.jpeg3C47457A-C620-460A-A3CB-A31D7852DD74.jpeg
Both trees still alive. They at the very least are making great scions.

Pears look great, glad to see the tree made it fine.

Reactions: Rit
Pears look great, glad to see the tree made it fine.
Thx… they are actually doing well. One put on some pears this year and the other has shot up to around 10’. Both are in desperate need of some care but it appears they rounded the corner and will survive.