RR Beets

roymunson

5 year old buck +
Anyone have an in? I would like to find some.

Ed Spinazolla in Michigan. "Deer Attraction" on Facebook.

If you have problems growing corn on your property, RR Beets are even more difficult. Proper row & seed spacing, weed control, heavy nitrogen requirement, and soil chemistry very important.

They really only excell as a food source late season (Dec-Feb) when you have very cold freezing temps. You can't overseed as they do not do well with competition.

No magic beans ...

I bought some off eBay two years ago. They did okay but the deer just ignored them. It was an experiment on my part that I will not be repeating. I can grow RR corn, RR ag beans and RR Eagle forage beans on my land with no problems and the deer just love these foods.

If you have problems growing corn on your property, RR Beets are even more difficult. Proper row & seed spacing, weed control, heavy nitrogen requirement, and soil chemistry very important.

They really only excell as a food source late season (Dec-Feb) when you have very cold freezing temps. You can't overseed as they do not do well with competition.

No magic beans ...

I had problems with corn because I forced the issue. I put the corn in the ground no till, on a pasture field that had been mowed for the last 15 years.

On other sections of the farm where we've worked with the ground, corn has thrived.

We have enough other spots for plots that a mix of beets for january hunting would be excellent. We have a good mix of early season and other food as well. This is not all we have. it'd be less than 1/4 of what's planted.

I planted them this year year with amazing results. Deer loved the greens early season and are loving the bulbs now. Very impressive.

I've tried twice. Our area has full on gly resistant pigweed and marestail. The beets start well but soon get stressed by to much pigweed competition.

I'm doing brassica's from now on. Seems the later planting date gives me more time to deal with the pigweed before planting.

I've tried twice. Our area has full on gly resistant pigweed and marestail. The beets start well but soon get stressed by to much pigweed competition.

I'm doing brassica's from now on. Seems the later planting date gives me more time to deal with the pigweed before planting.
That is completely logical. But as I haven't screwed it up on my own yet, and am the eternal optimist, I really wanna try beets. :D

Welcome to the wild world of foodplotting

Sent you a PM.