rotation of brassica

jpe40

Yearling... With promise
I know you're not supposed to plant brassicas multiple years in a row in the same area because of bacteria and other negative effects. if I disc in the Brassica in the spring and plant oats and then killed the oats and planted brassicas in July, would that stop the effects or should I completely rotate the area out?
thanks
jpe401

I've planted brassicas a couple years in a row a few times with no ill effects but usually I rotatate my brassicas with cereal rye in the LC rotation. I've went to broadcasting the brassicas into the rye the first part of July and rolling it down and spraying it. This rotation has worked well for me for quite a few years.

I've planted soybeans followed by brassicas since I started plotting 3 years ago without any noticeable ill effects and will try it again this year. Bottom of my food plot is too wet so that stays in clover and rye and if I were to split the top 2/3 in half it wouldn't be enough soybeans to spread out grazing pressure and I don't want to bother with fence..so if things crash I'll just plant it all to rye and clover for a year or two.

You can keep planting them. I’m on year 5 in the same plot. I usually will frost seed clover or just let the rye grow the following spring if I broadcasted into the brassicas. Still getting turnips and radishes. I plan to go Year 6 this year. But will plant buckwheat in it first.

As long as your planting something else with them you can keep planting them year after year. Problems come from planting monocultures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm also tolerant of weeds..as they give back.. However the lambs quarters really took off this year.. Don't know how I should address that this coming season

I'm also tolerant of weeds..as they give back.. However the lambs quarters really took off this year.. Don't know how I should address that this coming season
The deer in my area eat lambs quarter to the ground. I have actually considered collecting seed and planting it in a "fallow" plot before rotating to something else.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just overseed it with oats after last frost and give it a quick light discing break up the Brassica and then spray n throw in July