Root trapper bags

chummer

5 year old buck +
I have a few 7 gallon bags with apple trees in them. I am going to trans plant next spring. Do I have to do anything special with them over winter. They are presently sitting up against my house in a mulch bed.

I would protect the trunks with screen if you think rabbits and mice could be an issue.

I would protect the trunks with screen if you think rabbits and mice could be an issue.
Good call. I did see a rabbit scoping them out last week. Any problem with the roots freezing?

Yes. You don't want the roots to freeze hard. You can dig holes and put the bags in them and fill them in. In my area (zone 7a) I was able to group bags tightly together against my house and mulch them in. You want to tops to stay cool but the roots not to freeze. I've also used an unheated garage. You don't want to bring them inside where the tops warm up enough to break dormancy.

If I were in zone 4, I'd be tempted to dig holes, set the bags in the holes, and then mulch heavily. The screening is a good call as well if you keep them outside where rodents have access.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks guys. I will move them to the garden and burry them. I have done that with potted trees before but I thought maybe these bags were different.