Root Grafting of Apples?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
Has anybody tried it? Suggestions?

It would be easy to remove one of the roots from this rootstock.
f45e255373a3c2595596ea3e9cb3b3d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen it done in videos and have had to graft into the roots on a few root stocks due to large scion to smaller root stock issues. They made it so I would say it is 100% possible. I have heard of people digging out roots for grafting when no root stock is available.

I cant find the video but the one I saw... they dug out root and cut it into 4-5" sections and grafted to it. It was an orchard operation they bundled them and packed them grafted into sawdust and cold stored them. I cant tell you its a definite deal just that I had to personally cut into a few of my root stock well below the soil line on them and there were fine roots at or above my cut line for the union. All made it.

I would say give it a try especially on that tri-rooted RS ... your not out anything.

I am thinking of a saddle graft and probably just using grafting tape, no e tape.

One experienced person said the graft should be buried.

The e tape didnt work the best on those low grafts... the stuff I use has a bit of stretch to it and that is what held it 3m super 33 - the cold weather tape. I have flipped the tape over and wrapped it adhesive out before - stretched it. I pot them out so I did bury the graft site down into the potting soil. Had to dig it out to undue the tape. It was one of those either graft it that way or toss the scion and root stock. The root stock I used were a few that I had cut way down near the roots due to an order of smaller diameter stock from Willamette - it was a late last min order and small dia stuff was all they had left so I had to graft really low on the root stock and screwed a few up and was left with not much more than roots to work with.

I was way down into about this area with those grafts... and they all made it... and that video I saw they were grafting to diced up pieces of 2-3' roots sections dug out of the ground feet away from the trunk, so Im pretty sure its doable.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    323.6 KB · Views: 18
I was way down into about this area with those grafts... and they all made it... and that video I saw they were grafting to diced up pieces of 2-3' roots sections dug out of the ground feet away from the trunk, so Im pretty sure its doable.

I am considering digging up a root from what I call the swamp crab.

Yes, I took a grafting class a couple years ago. The master grafter that taught the class told all kind of stories. He said that when he was young and they ran out of root stock for grafting at the orchard, he would go out an dig up roots from and exist tree like that. Just graft the scion to it and plant it. He said it works fine.

I found this “extra” in my rootstock shipment, I’m going to give it my best shot! CBFE9C4E-034C-45FC-A825-312508C0BA62.jpeg

I found this “extra” in my rootstock shipment, I’m going to give it my best shot! View attachment 28782

I have checked some links and some internet buddies. One link from southern US said he had only 20% success. He used long scion and buried it deep.

An e buddy from north of the border used shorter scion and just put the graft below ground level. He had better success. Don’t used any rubber bands or restricting tape as they probably won’t disintegrate.

Have you found other suggestions?

I found this “extra” in my rootstock shipment, I’m going to give it my best shot! View attachment 28782

I have checked some links and some internet buddies. One link from southern US said he had only 20% success. He used long scion and buried it deep.

An e buddy from north of the border used shorter scion and just put the graft below ground level. He had better success. Don’t used any rubber bands or restricting tape as they probably won’t disintegrate.

Have you found other suggestions?

I will probably use a saddle graft.

It should work fine - you'll likely get a 'standard' tree, but for wildlife that's probably what you want, except it'll take longer to come into bearing.
Pears and apples are the easiest things in the world to graft... if you can get a pear scion and root together in the same room, you're almost guaranteed success... apples are almost as easy.
I did some root grafts of pecan and hickory scions onto cirlcling taproot pieces I'd pruned off some vigorous 1-yr. container-grown pecan seedlings this spring... about 2-3 weeks ago...W&T graft, wrapped with cotton string from the top of a feed sack, then overwrapped the union with Parafilm-M, then potted them up. Seeing some of the pecan grafts starting to push some growth... not sure if it's proof that the graft took, or if it's just the scion depleting it' stored energy reserves.

It should work fine - you'll likely get a 'standard' tree, but for wildlife that's probably what you want, except it'll take longer to come into bearing.
Pears and apples are the easiest things in the world to graft... if you can get a pear scion and root together in the same room, you're almost guaranteed success... apples are almost as easy.
I did some root grafts of pecan and hickory scions onto cirlcling taproot pieces I'd pruned off some vigorous 1-yr. container-grown pecan seedlings this spring... about 2-3 weeks ago...W&T graft, wrapped with cotton string from the top of a feed sack, then overwrapped the union with Parafilm-M, then potted them up. Seeing some of the pecan grafts starting to push some growth... not sure if it's proof that the graft took, or if it's just the scion depleting it' stored energy reserves.

Did you bury the grafts?

Did you bury the grafts?

yes.
don't know if pecan or hickory scions grafted onto roots will root in, but it's not an issue...other than the fact that it's preferable on good sites to have hickory on pecan understock, as it tends to push more growth and heavier production than on hickory understock.

yes.
don't know if pecan or hickory scions grafted onto roots will root in, but it's not an issue...other than the fact that it's preferable on good sites to have hickory on pecan understock, as it tends to push more growth and heavier production than on hickory understock.

Last year I put M111 root cuttings into cutoff two-liter pop bottles with potting mix, leaving the top one inch exposed and many grew new shoots. I T-budded those that got to 1/4" diameter by mid-August and moved them into three gallon pots. Their roots looked good when I planted them in late October.

I had a half dozen or so M111 root cuttings that were too small to T-bud last August. I put those pop bottles into the ground for the winter. I dug them up a couple weeks ago and set them on my patio where I can take care of them for the summer. All of them are leafing out. I plan to T-bud them this coming August.

Yesterday, I yanked out a couple of 4' tall prairie crabs that had sprung up where I didn't want them. I cut 7" long sections off the roots where they had a lot of hairs and put them in three gallon pots right away, with one inch exposed above the soil line. I'm planning to T-bud those in August as well. Those will get planted in spots where I have flooding in the spring.

8bcff5a0855443514b49a1866e5a41ec.jpg

Lee 37 on a piece of that three truncked dolgo rootstock. The e tape is jus at ground level. I plan to remove just enough dirt to slit the tape on July 1.