River/Creek Crossings

In my areas of MN and WI the farmers have been dumping field stones for generations in random low spots and creek crossings like that. I wouldn't add any culverts or make any massive changes since that wouldn't be too natural looking, but it wouldn't take too much more rock to have a really solid crossing. You already have a bunch of rock there, so adding a little more won't be too noticeable. It almost looks like you should have enough rock to cross it as it currently is. Crossing water isn't a big deal as long as there is a solid rock base underneath.
Just dont leave the pile of unused rock by the creek.........

well let me add a bit of info here
as not sure what state your in, but every state seems to have different rules about water crossings
here in PA< things can be INSANE when dealing with water crossings
an example, at one of my hunting camps we have a small creek about 4 ft across goes from inched deep to 4+ ft deep pending rains
when we wanted to have the property timbered, the costs to get a PERMIT for a log skidder to cross it was SO high, it wasn't worth the amount of timber on the 15 acres to go get it??

On a second property, that has a MUCH larger stream(any where from 14-25 ft across and from inches to feet deep pending rain falls , we have a 40 acre crop field on one side, and ONLY access to it is crossing the stream
LEGALLY we are ONLY allowed to cross a few times a yr, and have to have one dedicated spot to use for crossing, and must maintain things to prevent erosion from crossing or creating a lot of dirty water when crossing!
the owner of that property hired a lawyer to find out what was acceptable to use as a layer to put down to prevent as much disturbance as possible when we crossed
I forget the exact details, but a hired person was used to design a base for this spot, it consisted of a bunch of river stone and I forget what else
SO< before Just DOING anything, I would make sure what ever you do is LEGAL
as if not fines can be HUGE, and even in very remote places, they can be found?
at a third property, we had a stream that went from 15-25 ft across and from inches deep to 10+ ft after heavy rains, was crazy how deep it get over night some days,
the original owners back in the 70's ran a three different 1 inch steel cable's across it, and had it so you could float a boat and pull yourself across, or if brave enough to walk on the wire rope and get across that way, as there property had land locked land on other side of stream, this was done there before the state changed its rules on things, over the yrs sicne installed, many deep floods happened and as of now there is only 1 cable still left, but it lasted that way for 35+ yrs?

ANY how, that said on them examples!
here is another,
down in Ohio, whee I Hunt, the state has many rural roads that cross local streams, some are 10 to 30 ft wide, typically a few inches deep or at times have seen them several ft deep
what they did down there was, they placed concrete slabs down, to drive across
SOME not all, have 6 inch pipe laid under them, but not all of them, I gather this pipe under them allows for water to flow under , rather than over when levels are low?
some have things sloped like a V so water stays in center
some have just broken over time I think too and ended up that way
They do get slick in winter time or spring time
but I did take a few pictures a few yrs back,as this one is at the bottom of a VERY steep hill, and in winter time it can be a little concerning to go down the hill to it! HAHA! and then here is a second one they have down there too!

now, just remember, before doing something like this, I would make sure its legally allowed if you consider it!
as water crossings can be very tricky subjects pending the state your in, and again fines can be HUGE as in tens of thousands and higher!

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    448 KB · Views: 34
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    399.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    666.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    610.3 KB · Views: 37
Just dont leave the pile of unused rock by the creek.........
On my WI place about 1/2 of the county is wetland and the other 1/2 is stone filled soils. Nearly every property there has a pile of stones along a wetland or creek since the original settlers had to pile the rocks they picked somewhere and low spots seemed to be the dumping place of choice.

Now if your area doesn't have any natural rocks then it would be much tougher to explain how an awesome rock crossing ended up in an area with few rocks!

Nice rock bottom like that I’d just drive across it. If your having mud problems at the banks I’d use some of the river rock to line my approach’s to cure that. Or get a truckload of 3-6” to line the approach’s on both sides.

I’d wait till the water is low again and have a dozer do some minor shaping to what you have. Looks like plenty of rock there to hold up a compact tractor if it was leveled off some.
^ This......plus a roll of 8' chain link fence......that you can get for free (from me). Or....you can put down tammarrac corduroy on a geo fabric mat and cover with gravel. 😁

Got deep this spring but it’s come down and I’m driving the atv across 6-9” of water now. Neighbor is letting me access through his side with the tractor and I’ve got too many projects before hunting season to mess with it this year.

91EE171B-6161-451B-A48B-98F28A6E67D7.jpeg90CD2C91-E285-43C2-9779-A23F0D8945A5.jpeg

Was just on Facebook.....and saw what would seem to be a great idea on a small creek or stream. The comments were all quite positive on this method.....with many folks saying they had a long term success with this set up. Sure would work better than trying to make some concrete pouring forms and all the mixing, etc. Anyway.....maybe its got value for somebody.

water crossing.jpeg

I’ve done concrete bag stacking it does work you will not get as good of quality of concrete obviously but for some situations it’s a quick and easy fix if equipment is the limiting factor to your project. For nice sloped banks I like to dig out some native soil and fill that area back with ditch liner rock to the original steam bed height so as not to create a dam it’s probably 4”-10” rock and not even fool with culverts if I can help it. If I have to use culverts I like to back fill them with a bit of native soil then cover the entire area with that ditch liner rock a little native soil can be spread on top of the rock if it’s to rough of ride. We used to use smaller rock up to about 3” but the big gully washer rains would wash it away on us eventually all our rock would be 20’ from where we needed it go be.

Was just on Facebook.....and saw what would seem to be a great idea on a small creek or stream. The comments were all quite positive on this method.....with many folks saying they had a long term success with this set up. Sure would work better than trying to make some concrete pouring forms and all the mixing, etc. Anyway.....maybe its got value for somebody.

View attachment 56793

I don't imagine mr green jeans would be too impressed with something like that in many locations..