RIM

slugger

5 year old buck +
Here is another thing about the DNR that I have a hard time understanding. I have a farm listed for sale with most of the land in the RIM (Reinvest in MN) program. It is mostly wetland and the program was created to stop the draining of wetlands. Because of the land being in RIM, which is perpetual, buyers have not been willing to take on the easement.
My seller asked me to check in to selling it to the DNR to use as a public hunting area. The DNR replied that it is a long, time consuming process, and because it was in the RIM program, they wouldn't be interested. So they don't want to own land that's in a program that they created? Hmmmm
If you are interested in some great hunting land in central MN, the seller would split the land from the home and sell it separately at a reasonable price. There would be 145 or 150 acres with 111 in the Program. There is a nice 30 woods that is not in the program. I was out there this week and saw mallards, turkeys, and pheasants on the property. There are also good numbers of deer.

Here is another thing about the DNR that I have a hard time understanding. I have a farm listed for sale with most of the land in the RIM (Reinvest in MN) program. It is mostly wetland and the program was created to stop the draining of wetlands. Because of the land being in RIM, which is perpetual, buyers have not been willing to take on the easement.
My seller asked me to check in to selling it to the DNR to use as a public hunting area. The DNR replied that it is a long, time consuming process, and because it was in the RIM program, they wouldn't be interested. So they don't want to own land that's in a program that they created? Hmmmm
If you are interested in some great hunting land in central MN, the seller would split the land from the home and sell it separately at a reasonable price. There would be 145 or 150 acres with 111 in the Program. There is a nice 30 woods that is not in the program. I was out there this week and saw mallards, turkeys, and pheasants on the property. There are also good numbers of deer.
I should add that you can plant trees, grasses, food plots etc on the rim land. There is a pond that I am quite sure would support fish. There are a couple dense stands of 20' conifers already in place.

Does the program require it to be public access? Or is it just that the owner can not develop or drain the enrolled acres. Do you have a link to the website it is listed on?

I believe there is some controversy in Mn. about the tax benefits of some of the easement lands. The tax benefits might be removed in some cases, but the easement stays in place. The way I understand it, some land will be taxed at the ag rate. If this applies to RIM or which programs, I do not know. It could be grandfathered in or maybe not???

this has kept some people form considering future involvement in the easements.

It does NOT require the owner to allow public on the land, you just can't drain it or use it for Ag or build on it. I have a copy of the easement if you are interested. Here is a link: http://m.mlsfinder.com/mn_rmls/bobc...f8-3421-790e06adb5c2&pg=1&property_id=4410360
That is for the home and 160 acres. The owner will sell the land separately.
The problem with the RIM is that it was a one time payment, not that big either. There are no more tax benefits.
Taxes are not that high on the total piece so it may be being taxed at the Ag rate. I will check on that.

I have zero idea how the program works, but the Rice Sportsmen's Club buys property from time to time. Sounds like they used to buy them and then turn over management/ownership to the DNR, but I think now they keep control themselves (believe they remain as public hunting grounds however).

Rice Sportsman is an active group that I have lots of respect for.

The Wildlife Management Land next to me was a result of their purchase. Some other lands are available for public hunting. The way I understand things is that tribal members can hunt the public lands under tribal rules and season structure. Private lands are only hunted under the rules of the state of Minnesota.

Rice Sportsman is an active group that I have lots of respect for.

The Wildlife Management Land next to me was a result of their purchase. Some other lands are available for public hunting. The way I understand things is that tribal members can hunt the public lands under tribal rules and season structure. Private lands are only hunted under the rules of the state of Minnesota.
Who should I contact?

Who should I contact?
Have you tried contacting any of the Pheasants Forever or MDHA chapters in the area? Occasionally they purchase land for wildlife management areas.

Have you tried contacting any of the Pheasants Forever or MDHA chapters in the area? Occasionally they purchase land for wildlife management areas.
I have not. Thanks for the tip.

I'll see if I can get a contact number for somebody at Rice...unless Art has them at hand anyway?
Ok thanks

I got Bob a name but no number. Must be unlisted.

I'll bet stu or I will see someone form Rice SC at the MDDI meeting in Little Falls on Wed. night.

PM me and I can send you Jasons cell phone numbers at the Rice Club

I know the RIM program pretty well. Most RIM farms are tough to re-sell. I recently put my sandy soil farm in RIM. I left out some areas for building and food plots. The reason I did it was that I was able to get the CRP payments on the farm until the CRP runs out in 2020-2024, and they will allow me to keep all my trees and habitat improvements.

The key of course, was a nice one time check for the easement. In most cases I would be against this, but the price was right and I would never have plowed up the habitat anyway. I donated a few low land acres for tax reasons and turned a good profit on the farm, without having to sell it. Still own it, use it, just limited income in the future.

The $$ will be used to add on to our cabin and keep the wife happy;) and I might add 20-40 acres to another farm.

I won't sell this RIM farm anyway, kids will own it.

In some cases, I see RIM as a good option, primarily on poor soil farms and something that has thousands of trees that the owner does not cut down or removed.

Slugger --One reason they (State or Fed) do not buy farms with current permanent easements, is because they feel the land is permanently protected already. They like the new project/restore and plant.

Personally, I would think that they should buy these farms if affordable and open them to public hunting. I saw a WRP farm in Wilkin County MN for 250/acre. That should have been purchased and opened up as a public hunting area.

I know the RIM program pretty well. Most RIM farms are tough to re-sell. I recently put my sandy soil farm in RIM. I left out some areas for building and food plots. The reason I did it was that I was able to get the CRP payments on the farm until the CRP runs out in 2020-2024, and they will allow me to keep all my trees and habitat improvements.

The key of course, was a nice one time check for the easement. In most cases I would be against this, but the price was right and I would never have plowed up the habitat anyway. I donated a few low land acres for tax reasons and turned a good profit on the farm, without having to sell it. Still own it, use it, just limited income in the future.

The $$ will be used to add on to our cabin and keep the wife happy;) and I might add 20-40 acres to another farm.

I won't sell this RIM farm anyway, kids will own it.

In some cases, I see RIM as a good option, primarily on poor soil farms and something that has thousands of trees that the owner does not cut down or removed.
Yes, the problem selling RIM land is that there is absolutey no benefit to the new buyer.

Slugger--I hear you! This is typical government for you.

The farm that I bought was 148 acres roughly. I paid like 550/acre for it back in early 2001. It was sandy soil tillable/pasture farm with a ditch and slough and a cattail area (limited habitat). Not very attractive and it was for sale for 3 years without an offer. Why the government didn't buy it back then for public hunting??

They paid 4-5 times as much for an easement in 2013 and I still control access.

Give me an idea where it is located and I might be able to help. I work with RIM (wellhead side of it) and have lots of contacts with PF and might be able to give you some ideas.

Ok I am an idiot I see you link now...too much multitasking. When I have more time I will send you a message. This evening or tomorrow.

Yes, the problem selling RIM land is that there is absolutey no benefit to the new buyer.
I don't know anything about RIM, but wouldn't the benefit to the new buyer be a much lower purchase price compared to if the land wasn't in RIM?

Slugger--I hear you! This is typical government for you.

The farm that I bought was 148 acres roughly. I paid like 550/acre for it back in early 2001. It was sandy soil tillable/pasture farm with a ditch and slough and a cattail area (limited habitat). Not very attractive and it was for sale for 3 years without an offer. Why the government didn't buy it back then for public hunting??

They paid 4-5 times as much for an easement in 2013 and I still control access.

Ok I am an idiot I see you link now...too much multitasking. When I have more time I will send you a message. This evening or tomorrow.
OK Thanks