riding mower w/snow thrower attachment

bueller

I've been keeping my eyes open for a riding mower. Just ran across one that a neighbor of mine is selling. I remember reading somewhere that pushing snow is tough on the transmission of a riding mower. This thing has a 2 stage snow blower attachment. Is this setup also rough on the drivetrain and/or engine on a mower? The mower appears to be in good shape. Guy says he bought it new 7-10 years ago and only used the mower attachment the first year. Since then its basically been a riding snow blower. This is in a suburban area with an average sized residential driveway and sidewalk so its not like this thing was run for hours on end each time it snowed.

I don't necessarily need the snow thrower attachment so I would consider selling it if its worth a decent dollar. The mower is a 42" MTD industrial/commercial model with 18.5 HP Briggs engine. The snow thrower is 40". Any thoughts on whether this is a decent buy or not? Guy is asking $1000 which seems high to me.

Do you have an atv? The plow for mine was one of the best purchases I made. Cut time for our driveway in half - literally. I can do 2 driveways in under a half hour with the plow (used to do the elderly neighbor's until she went into assisted living last fall).

Do you have an atv? The plow for mine was one of the best purchases I made. Cut time for our driveway in half - literally. I can do 2 driveways in under a half hour with the plow (used to do the elderly neighbor's until she went into assisted living last fall).
I do have an ATV. Neighbor plows us in the winter. I'm in need of something to cut the 1/2 acre yard and trails up north.

Not sure on quality or brand, but price doesn't seem far off at all.

Not sure on quality or brand, but price doesn't seem far off at all.
I know MTD isn't the greatest but their industrial/commercial stuff should be a step up. My main concern is if the snow blower attachment shortens the life of a mower in any substantial way. And how much the snow blower attachment is worth. If I can get him down some and sell the snow blower for around $300 I think I would have a good deal. I'm willing to pay a bit more for a unit like this that I know the history on compared to something that has been beat up and patched up for a quick sale.

I know MTD isn't the greatest but their industrial/commercial stuff should be a step up. My main concern is if the snow blower attachment shortens the life of a mower in any substantial way. And how much the snow blower attachment is worth. If I can get him down some and sell the snow blower for around $300 I think I would have a good deal. I'm willing to pay a bit more for a unit like this that I know the history on compared to something that has been beat up and patched up for a quick sale.
Sorry I missed the MTB brand... may be a little high for pricing.

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/for/4997047090.html

Here is a comparable without blower in my area.