Releasing apple trees

Warm up this week NH!!! Hopefully we'll get rid of some of this snow. My house isn't bad now, but some orchards up in the mountains, I'm not even going to think about getting up to.

Nice work NH mountains! Looks great. Even with a warm up, I am still weeks away from getting out there with about 4' of snow in the woods.

Nice work NH mountains! Looks great. Even with a warm up, I am still weeks away from getting out there with about 4' of snow in the woods.
Natty this is my favorite time to prune those wild apples. If you can catch a cold morning after a rain or warm day you will be able to walk right on top. Last year with a 4' snow pack and a pole saw I could easily prune 90% of the apple trees, no ladder needed.

Natty this is my favorite time to prune those wild apples. If you can catch a cold morning after a rain or warm day you will be able to walk right on top. Last year with a 4' snow pack and a pole saw I could easily prune 90% of the apple trees, no ladder needed.

Great minds think alike chummer! That's exactly what I did yesterday. It will be weeks, even a month, before I get out to do any releasing or brush clearing. But yes, I took advantage of the deep snow and went out and pruned up most of my apples. Crazy how deep the snow is. My dogs couldn't come with me. My snowmobile just sinks. I do a little maple syrup in the spring and I just can't get the sap out of the woods.

NH - The last pic in post #33 - are those smaller evergreens spruce or balsam fir?? They look good in that setting. I see you stacked up a little firewood too for drying out over the summer. I do the same whenever I'm cutting in the woods. Small piles here & there dry pretty well and I make them as I work along thru the woods. Can't beat the woods work !!

NH-I like those last two pictures and it looks like some good habitat.

X-2 with Sandbur. Really good looking country. I've hunted Maine 5 times and I'll always be a huge fan of the Northeast Big Woods. Vt., N.H., and Maine - all 3 are great. I can picture a nice buck slinking down one of those shooting lanes !!

THAT sounds good !! Staging areas are great for ambushes, cams, etc. That's exactly what I've tried to establish next to our plots and apple / crab trees. Good luck with the cover ( evergreens ) and turnips !!