Release the Crowns!

Teeder

5 year old buck +
Spent a little time today dropping some soft maples to open up more northern reds and black cherry.

Attachments

• 20220628_140047.jpg
    20220628_140047.jpg
    833.2 KB · Views: 36
Very nice I usually do crown release in late winter just a lot easier to see in the timber and a lot cooler time of year to carry a chainsaw if that’s the method I’m using. If I’m hack and squirting then I prefer fall I think the poison is drawn down to the roots more effectively that time of year.

Last edited:
Agreed. I usually do too, but I couldn't get the tractor into this area in winter and I wanted to get these logs out as I dropped them.

Good work, Teeder!! Your other trees and ground plants will love it.

When we logged several times, the red maple - "soft" maple - was our target species to drop. It put lots more sunlight on the ground and released many oaks, hickories, tulip poplar, pines, black cherry, and sugar maples. A state forester was the one who suggested taking out some red maple trees to improve our woodlots. The logs sold - but not for top dollar. Good red maple lumber is used for furniture to IMITATE cherry, lesser logs used for pallets and other utility types of purposes.

My plan is to eventually tube some of the better oak and cherry regen and leave the rest for browse.
Most of the maple that I dropped will be firewood with some tulips just girdled.

I spent some time walking an area I crown released late last winter. I’ve got some spectacular undergrowth going on and even oak regeneration I guess I didn’t expect the oak regen to happen the first year out. Going to be pretty thick in some of those areas until the oaks and walnuts I left behind close the forest canopy again. It was probably 10 years since my last crown release of any amount on this property and I was way more aggressive this time for sure. Kicked up a fawn bedded down in one area. Some of the smooth bark hickories that I girdled had some leaves not sure if there was just enough energy stored in the tree to grow them or if I didn’t cut deeply enough I’ll check on them again in a month or so if any have green leaves at that point I’ll make a second cut.

There's been a post or two about helping deer through the winter. I don't use firewood for home heating anymore, but when I did I would cut in the winter. The deer have tons of buds to eat, it can be a cheap cheat on late season hunts, and can help you get sheds alot easier too. I try to cut it down to 6-8ft lengths, or just chunk it up to help drying happen sooner.

For some folks, it might be better to not hack n squirt. The stuff growing from the stumps may be a hassle again someday down the road, however those young shoots can be alot of good winter browse for several years. Definitely more desireable travel routs vs open understory.

My simplest public land hunting strategy was to follow the cover. Wroekd well a few time in the january eastern PA woods with the rocklocks.