Regrafting failed grafts

cs26k

Yearling... With promise
I've got a handful of B118 rootstocks I planted after grafting last year where for whatever reason the scion died but the rootstock is still going and I'd like to re-graft them this coming spring. I know I've read several of you guys mention regrafting but I can't find any recommendations for the best odds of success. Here's what I'm thinking so far -
  1. Cut planted rootstock just below failed graft
  2. Cleft graft dormant scionwood, or W&T if I'm feeling adventurous/it makes sense with diameters
  3. Wrap in parafilm since that's what I've got
  4. Treekote the end of the scion (usually use wax but buying some Treekote seems easier for use in the field)
  5. **Science and magic**
  6. Success
My biggest unknown is when I should attempt this? At first sign of bud swelling on the rootstocks? Once the leaves are fully developed on the rootstock? Somewhere in between? If anyone can chime in with what has worked for them, that would be great!

I prefer once most of may apple trees are pushing leaves and I think I'm past the last frost. It should handle a frost fine but I'd rather not push it if the timing works. Sometimes you just have to graft when you have the time.

I’ve done mine as they start pushing growth. Cleft graft was about my only option because of where the trees were grafted the previous year. I was impressed with the growth though, likely because you’re not having to disturb the roots and they had a chance to establish.

I am really glad you asked this question cs26k. My success with grafting is not stellar, so this advice is very useful for me too. Glad you asked!

I regrafted to a dozen B118's this past spring, just as you described, using cleft grafts. I grafted as soon as I saw buds swelling. Eleven of them were successful.

Here's a pic of one of them from June 19th. All 3 buds on the scion pushed out growth.

20190619_124226.jpg

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be keeping an eye on the buds.

Do you need to cover or shade them after grafting?
ive read of guys storing grafted roots in dark places while they heal. But, if grafting to planted rootstock outside from the previous year, they would be in full sun right away.

My bench grafted trees that I pot out get put in a shaded/limited sun area for their first summer... anything done in the field or moved out to the field right away does not. You can only do what you can do... and field shading while possible would be a hassle and prone to problems.

For those new grafts near my house, I have slipped a plastic bag over them for a few hours when we get a late frost.

So what varieties of scion will you be using?

I am looking at pipsqueak, Golden russet, Milo Gibson, and hopefully topworking some hardy pears on my pear tree. I need some with overlapping bloom times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive read of guys storing grafted roots in dark places while they heal. But, if grafting to planted rootstock outside from the previous year, they would be in full sun right away.
That is more to help keep bench grafts from breaking dormancy before you plant out. Once planted out, the bench grafts would get full sun too.

That is more to help keep bench grafts from breaking dormancy before you plant out. Once planted out, the bench grafts would get full sun too.

My bench grafts go in a short tube that is open to the north. Shade and some frost protection.

For those new grafts near my house, I have slipped a plastic bag over them for a few hours when we get a late frost.

So what varieties of scion will you be using?

I am looking at pipsqueak, Golden russet, Milo Gibson, and hopefully topworking some hardy pears on my pear tree. I need some with overlapping bloom times.

And also a red splendor seedling that has larger fruit.

I made the mistake of regrafting some in my nursery in late March one year with no sign of bud swell, the same time I bench grafted my new rootstock. None of them took. The ones I regrafted in late April with bud swell all took.

I'm circling back to this post so it can serve as a resource for others. I regrafted a bunch this past Saturday, all the buds were swelling and some were even starting to push leaves. Cleft graft, wrapped in parafilm and a dab of treekote on the tip of the scionwood.

We also had no signs of frost in the forecast when I decided that Saturday was the day, so of course last night it dropped to 30 degrees. Too windy to put a tarp over the whole plot of them like we do with tomatoes in the fall. We'll see how they handled the temps, no frost on my lawn or roof so maybe the wind helped out in that regard.

I have a handful left to do so I'll be doing those later this week and will report back on survival rates of both sets of regrafts.

I’m glad you originally asked this question and started this thread. I am new to grafting and wasn’t sure WHEN to do the grafts in the field. I will do some bark grafts, cleft and tongue and whip grafts later rather than sooner. I will be converting existing varieties to other ones. Anyone have advice on when it’s too late to do this?

Recap of what has transpired so far for more reference -

4/18 - re-grafted 26,
4/20 - low of 30 degrees but very windy
4/25 - re-grafted another 24
roughly 5/8 - 5/12 - lows flirting with 32. Had patchy frost in the yard and on the roof one morning . But blossoms on the old pear tree in the yard were undamaged.

Results - on 5/15 there were signs of life ranging from obvious bud swell to full leaves on 30 of the 50 re-grafts. However, one commercial source of scions I purchased from shipped the scions unannounced and they arrived while I was on vacation. So they sat on my west-facing front porch for several days in early March and had to have seen temps in the 50's or 60's or even higher for multiple afternoons until I returned home and some had a bit of fuzz growing on parts of them. The scions were still green inside but I had my doubts, the fact that I have signs of life on 3 of the 14 re-grafts I used them for I'm considering a win. So I'm telling myself I'm in the neighborhood of 75% success so far rather than 60%.

Will update again at least once more in a month or so