Regenerative Beekeeping

TreeDaddy

5 year old buck +
From American Bee Journal July 22

"The objective is transformation- moving from a commercial model-extractive with multiple inputs,reliant on chemicals,and driven by production and profits to a model focused on fertility and health of the honey bee"

Sound familiar?

......gotta be a role in there,somewhere , for gypsum

bill

What does gypsum do for bees?

Nothing, that I know of

........was meant as a nod to SD51555

bill

From American Bee Journal July 22

"The objective is transformation- moving from a commercial model-extractive with multiple inputs,reliant on chemicals,and driven by production and profits to a model focused on fertility and health of the honey bee"

Sound familiar?

......gotta be a role in there,somewhere , for gypsum

bill
That R-word always pull me in. And I can always find a role for gypsum.

You can change your native habitat with gypsum or lime. I had extra lime I was storing a few years back that was getting wet and turning to bricks. I decided to just get it thrown out somewhere. One of the things I did was throw some out in about a 25'x25' area to mimic a certain rate of lime. I threw it on my native untouched grass area. It totally changed the plant makeup. The quackgrass and goldenrod vanished, and it was replaced by redtop and red clover, but mostly redtop (I think that's what it is).

https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/grass-sedge-rush/redtop

Gypsum is always a good boost for legumes in untouched grass. Grass will eventually dominate an area and choke it out as it can outcompete clover in a low-sulfate environment. That was the whole reason I got so big on using it. Where I applied it, the clover became so strong, that it smothered everything. But that's shortlived. Clover will draw down your carbon and cause a flush of grasses to replenish the carbon and then the whole system begins to roll over and in the wrong way.

I just got done spreading some corrective gypsum and lime last weekend. I held back about a third of a 5 gallon bucket and put a fist full on each of my yard trees and dogwoods. The dogwood seed yield is going to be the biggest ever this year.

dog.PNG