Redneck stands

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
So I was a very good guy this year and wife surprised me with a redneck,I will use sometimes and wife and daughters use for gun hunting.Question I have for those that have them did you put on 5ft or 10ft stands

Lucky you! My wife surprised me with a pink tagged womens shirt for Christmas. :( She needs glasses.

My mom and I teamed up and got my dad a redneck as an early Christmas gift this year. I bought the 5' trailer stand for it. But by the time it got delivered here, we just wanted to slap the blind on the old trailer, bolt it down and get it to the field. Next year we'll get it up on the stand.

20181128_152848.jpg

If it's up 10' high, you may not need them, but I'd encourage ordering the black out curtain kit right away. We didn't order them, so had to improv and make a set to get along for a while.

If the spot can handle the ten ft. stand and has room to raise it I prefer the ten ft. There are some briars here that reach five and six feet high and the taller stand allows us to see down into them better. There is minimal difference in the amount of effort required to raise a ten versus a five so that is really not an issue. We do not have any trailer stand setups.

This is just my opinion but I’m almost always a fan of higher is better. I bough two of them on my old farm and erected both deep in the timber. Both of them were on 15’ towers (10’ with the 5’ extension). There wasn’t more than 80 yards as my furthest shot out of either of them but I could see even better at 15’ than I could at 10’ and it put me that much higher above the deers line of sight (or at least that’s what it felt like). I also had black out curtain kits on my blinds to reduce the chance of being sky lighted.

I will be putting up 3 Redneck (most likely) stands on my new farm this spring/summer and there 100% chance they will all be on 15’ stands.

Thomas

Dukslayr, I can see how in the right conditions the extra five feet over the ten ft. would be even better. I avoided the fifteens for a couple of reasons, 1. I and my friends are getting old enough that we are not so comfortable with heights even though the rail and steps on the Redneck are very easy to traverse and plenty sturdy. 2. We get 70 MPH winds at least once each year here and I felt that the fifteen ft. stand might be more vulnerable to the winds than the tens. High wind gusts seldom even make the news here.

I had no scientific formula on the fifteens being vulnerable to that level of wind, just strictly a gut feeling about it--could very well have been wrong. We have had no issues with the ten ft. stands moving but they are anchored very well.

Dukslayr, I can see how in the right conditions the extra five feet over the ten ft. would be even better. I avoided the fifteens for a couple of reasons, 1. I and my friends are getting old enough that we are not so comfortable with heights even though the rail and steps on the Redneck are very easy to traverse and plenty sturdy. 2. We get 70 MPH winds at least once each year here and I felt that the fifteen ft. stand might be more vulnerable to the winds than the tens. High wind gusts seldom even make the news here.

I had no scientific formula on the fifteens being vulnerable to that level of wind, just strictly a gut feeling about it--could very well have been wrong. We have had no issues with the ten ft. stands moving but they are anchored very well.

I understand that. One thing is for sure, if you set the tower and blind up right getting up and down the stairs even at 15’ is no problem. You could easily install a hand rail on both sides of the ladder as well.

I live in the Midwest and we get some hellacious storms and winds from time to time and I was worried about the same thing (the extra height pre disposing it to tipping in wind). I went the extra mile and added anchor kits on each leg so there were 9 total anchor points - the giant stake for each leg and the middle anchor that’s included, plus 1 “storage shed anchor” on each corner. Through three years they were rock solid enough that I have no concern about putting up 3 more. I will say that correct site prep/leveling gets even more important the higher up you go.

I would probably go with trailer if I had an extra but my box blinds are on field edges so no a big deal.Most of them are 5-6ft to bottom.I was also think that I could move the 5ft if was careful short distances and save about 600.00

Mine has the corner Windows to shoot a bow out of. Those long windows are nice to shoot out of but its a big window to see "you" through. I spray painted the top and bottom black so you can move your legs without being seen.

Paint the outside. It got hot inside during the summer and my cheap paint peeled...

I would probably go with trailer if I had an extra but my box blinds are on field edges so no a big deal.Most of them are 5-6ft to bottom.I was also think that I could move the 5ft if was careful short distances and save about 600.00
On a field edge I would have no problem going 5 ft ours are 7.5 feet. I have corner windows in the front I use a black sheet or leftover landscape fabric to partially cover the back windows no need to add anything to the front then.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is just my opinion but I’m almost always a fan of higher is better. I bough two of them on my old farm and erected both deep in the timber. Both of them were on 15’ towers (10’ with the 5’ extension). There wasn’t more than 80 yards as my furthest shot out of either of them but I could see even better at 15’ than I could at 10’ and it put me that much higher above the deers line of sight (or at least that’s what it felt like). I also had black out curtain kits on my blinds to reduce the chance of being sky lighted.

I will be putting up 3 Redneck (most likely) stands on my new farm this spring/summer and there 100% chance they will all be on 15’ stands.

Thomas
The one additional point I will make is that I do not hunt flat ground. Both my timber farm and CRP farms are rolling hills with some steep ridges. I currently have out two bale blinds on trailers on high points in my CRP. I probably miss 75% of the deer using the fields when I sit in them because of vegetation and topography. Being 15’ in the air will allow me visibility over cover and terrain breaks as well. If I were sitting on a dinner pancake flat field with no need for additional viewing ability from elevation I would probably go with a shorter stands...that’s just not my world so I have never had to make that decision.

10' would be my vote. We have a couple on 10' and 15'. My dad doesn't like heights and does the 10' fine, he doesn't feel comfortable hunting the 15' stand. The 10' is plenty high for most situations. If a trailer would work for your property I would give that serious consideration. We have moved 2 of our Rednecks since getting them with a rented skylift, having the ability to move one could be a nice option if you have multiple spots it could work in.

The one additional point I will make is that I do not hunt flat ground. Both my timber farm and CRP farms are rolling hills with some steep ridges. I currently have out two bale blinds on trailers on high points in my CRP. I probably miss 75% of the deer using the fields when I sit in them because of vegetation and topography. Being 15’ in the air will allow me visibility over cover and terrain breaks as well. If I were sitting on a dinner pancake flat field with no need for additional viewing ability from elevation I would probably go with a shorter stands...that’s just not my world so I have never had to make that decision.

I would agree. I have a 60 acre CRP, that's a 16 year old tree planting, and it's flat. I wouldn't see much from ground level, at 15.5' it's about right, in my opinion.

My ground is flat for sure

I ended up getting a 5ft stand,I think it will be fine and will still let me move a short distance fairly easy and I was able to get locally on sale with no shipping

I am thinking about getting a Redneck this year. I currently have a soft-sided Redneck and I used their DYI stand with 8' 4x4s. I like that I can leave the bottom part of the vertical corner windows closed and pull down a camo shade over the top section only exposing an opening I would shoot from. I would have to concoct something to cover the bottom section of the opening when the window is open. It just seems large to me. I'd probably use some black fabric with velcro to put it on and remove when not hunting. I wish Redneck made those corner windows as split windows sized somewhere around 2/3 higher and 1/3 lower (or 3/5 and 2/5).

I would get the 10' stand with the hard blind for my land. The 8' worked well off a food plot edge.

Last edited:
The banks blind offers more options for stands either metal or 4x4.But some reviews talked about leakage around the doors.I used the screens that came with the redneck gillie to cover part of the vertical opening but am looking at getting the black out screens for the fiberglass redneck.I do know at walmart you can buy blackout curtains for reasonable price in curtain section.

Another thing the redneck chairs are really nice,alittle heavy but nice.They are alot cheaper on the website than at stores