Rediscovered Heritage Apples

One of the above links refers to nearly all apples coming from Khaz. Are we missing things by not bringing in more genetics from M. Ioensis or the southern US equivalent?
I see very little CAR in the trees growing along our ditch banks and assume there must be some ioensis blood in them.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting point never thought about native prairie crabs as being the potential dominant pollinator for these wild trees - or there being much of that blood in them at all, but that would explain their health and endurance.

I spent quite a while poking through the GRIN listings a few years ago and looking up many of the various native american crab accessions. One thing I remember is how many m. ioensis were noted has highly susceptible to cedar apple rust or fireblight. It is true that many of those collected for GRIN were unusual genetics too, triploid or tetraploid instead of diploid for a normal common apple. That might be why these got collected because they were unusual specimens. Between the ploidy and disease susceptibility, I did not end up ordering anything related to ioensis or coronaria. I only got one cross with malus fusca (pacific crab).

A lot of the trees I got scion off of last winter where late hanging trees that I did not have much history with (saw fruit got scion) - the leaves had long dropped by the time I gathered scion but those I did have some experience with where car free during the growing seasons. So some of the trees I grafted may have had car of some sort - the new growth post grafting was pretty much free of anything so that was encouraging.

A lot of the trees I got scion off of last winter where late hanging trees that I did not have much history with (saw fruit got scion) - the leaves had long dropped by the time I gathered scion but those I did have some experience with where car free during the growing seasons. So some of the trees I grafted may have had car of some sort - the new growth post grafting was pretty much free of anything so that was encouraging.

Letting mother nature weed them out for ya!

One of the above links refers to nearly all apples coming from Khaz. Are we missing things by not bringing in more genetics from M. Ioensis or the southern US equivalent?
I see very little CAR in the trees growing along our ditch banks and assume there must be some ioensis blood in them.

Interesting point never thought about native prairie crabs as being the potential dominant pollinator for these wild trees - or there being much of that blood in them at all, but that would explain their health and endurance.

I doubt M ioensis is now the major pollinator, but suspect it was at some places and times in the past.

Very interesting article. Looking at GRIN and searching for KAZ has brought up some interesting results.
im particularly interested in some that were listed as “xerophyte” , surviving in areas with very little water.
for wild deer trees, low disease, low insect, low watering trees could be very useful.

We are exposed to a heavy amount of Cedar Rust galls here and to me of course I prefer perfect dark green leaves with zero rust spots. However if the tree consistently produces lots of apples and especially late hangers then a little CAR is really irrelevant to me. CAR sign on leaves that affects the trees’ fruiting or growth habit of course is another matter.

My deed dates back to 1860 and the plot shows a planted apple orchard. While all these trees are now gone I believe they also planted rows around the house because I can remember the rows from 60 years ago. One of these trees still survives and even in its dilapidated old age is a prolific producer. It would be really interesting to know the heritage of this apple. Fortunately that ancient tree and that now gone apple orchard somebody planted, are the reason for the several hundred wild trees now thriving in the same spots. Albeit quite expanded. I have never found any with any special taste but the deer tell me which ones they prefer that’s for sure.

My deed dates back to 1860 and the plot shows a planted apple orchard. While all these trees are now gone I believe they also planted rows around the house because I can remember the rows from 60 years ago. One of these trees still survives and even in its dilapidated old age is a prolific producer. It would be really interesting to know the heritage of this apple. Fortunately that ancient tree and that now gone apple orchard somebody planted, are the reason for the several hundred wild trees now thriving in the same spots. Albeit quite expanded. I have never found any with any special taste but the deer tell me which ones they prefer that’s for sure.

Any pics of those trees?

I’ll get some tomorrow. I was just out there LOL.

I haven't been logged in for a while, so this reply is a bit out of order by now.

The situation on the old tree I know about that is on the Central Wisconsin Apple Rediscovery Project list is that the owner cherishes being possibly the only one on the planet with that variety and wants to keep it that way. If the tree dies before the owner does, the owner simply does not care. The owner won't even consider selling scions to anyone at any price. This way of thinking is just different from mine, that's all. And for what it is worth, the elderly woman that told me the name of the variety many years ago said it was extremely sour, and that she liked it only up until better tasting varieties came along.