Red Fleshed Apple?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
Anyone have a red fleshed apple to recommend. Must be CAR and take heat in the south

F43B1F25-A99E-4DF0-955B-272FBFF8ED7F.jpeg
This is growing in rock hard heavy clay and I have only watered it a couple of times the first year. Redfield Apple/crab from what used to be Northern Whitetail crab. Seems they are just whitetail crabs now. I would think your rootstock would be a big consideration while planting in the South.

I have Otterson, Cranberry and Geneva all growing (we sell them as well). I dont think they are affected by CAR here. I guess its a lot harder to tell as they all have dark leaves so the spots arent as evident. I have never noticed defoliation on them either. I guess you will need to keep in mind chill hours as well.

I am not in the south, but Geneva, Firecracker, and Almata have not shown significant CAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Striped June (aka Margret) gets a red tint to the flesh when ripe, but not to the degree of true red fleshed apples. It's a proven southern apple that is bulletproof in terms of disease resistance, and it ripens in mid June in my areas of KY. The only drawback for me personally is that it is too tart for my taste. However, some people really like it, and it does cook well.

I've got a dozen varieties of red fleshed apples, my favorite so far is Firecracker crab. Good grower with little TLC, I have three planted and haven't had any disease issues with them.

I've got a dozen varieties of red fleshed apples, my favorite so far is Firecracker crab. Good grower with little TLC, I have three planted and haven't had any disease issues with them.

My experience has been the same. It is more of an apple crab for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get your Firecracker crabs??

Where did you get your Firecracker crabs??

I got two from OneGreenWorld nursery out of Portland OR and one from Planting Justice nursery out of Oakland CA.

I've heard of OneGreenWorld nursery. Thanks H20!!