Realtor interaction etiquette

Turkish

5 year old buck +
As a buyer, I’ve struggled to get a realtor to consistently be responsive and helpful. Is it OK to call a listing agent for info but still use my own buyer’s agent as a representative on the purchase, understanding that I didn’t really occupy the listing agent’s time, other than for a couple of phone calls?

I don’t love the idea of a dual agent representing me on a purchase negotiation, but sometimes I need info faster than my own agent is willing to get it for me. What if I walk the property alone? Does that change anything?

if you've given them the chance to be your agent and they're not responding, I'd say goodbye. If he doesn't wanna do what he'll be paid to do, go straight to the buying agent and have him shorten the commission.

Yeah same as Roy said. Just have the listing agent represent you as well and see if you can get a reduced rate saving you a couple pennies. I’ve bought two tracts where I came unrepresented and had the listing agent represent me. I’ve also bought two where I just acted on my own. Either way was fine.

if you've given them the chance to be your agent and they're not responding, I'd say goodbye. If he doesn't wanna do what he'll be paid to do, go straight to the buying agent and have him shorten the commission.
I did one purchase with a dual agent. I felt a little obligated to because he followed through on a commitment to let me know about a parcel that I had initially inquired about a year before it hit the market. He earned that, but I still felt a little exposed during the buying process.

I sell real estate in Minnesota, mostly farms, farm sites, or bare land . Don’t be afraid to express to your agent what you are looking for and tell him/her what you’d like to see back from them ?

I have a lot of clients, you can’t call them all every month... but if you know the expectation then it’s easier to follow up with them !

Time frame is key, do they have a 1031, extra cash that they need to spend ? One issue, is there is like zero farm listings in my area. So if I call them of email them .. all I can say is “nothing new is hitting the market”

To better answer your question, realtors do understand you might have your own agent . Their job is to sell the property, and if you are a serious potential buyer, they should work with you !

The one issue we deal with is Twin Cities agents sometimes represent a buyer but they never come out and look at the farm ? Which is not representation!

They call me and ask to show their client.. if I do that , I pay them slightly less. Since I did almost all the work .

To better answer your question, realtors do understand you might have your own agent . Their job is to sell the property, and if you are a serious potential buyer, they should work with you !

The one issue we deal with is Twin Cities agents sometimes represent a buyer but they never come out and look at the farm ? Which is not representation!

They call me and ask to show their client.. if I do that , I pay them slightly less. Since I did almost all the work .
This is helpful. Glad you chimed in. I have begun to see disclaimers that a buyer’s agent must accompany the buyer on the viewing. I can respect that.

I’ve really really struggled in my area to find agents that will still show interest in working with me after not buying the first tract they show. This goes back 20 years, looking with my dad. It’s like they label you a tire kicker immediately. This guy has been by far the best I’ve found but I still feel like I need to do some legwork myself to show him I’m serious.

Some people zoom the showings ? We don’t do that , and do not recommend that ! You should always view the home in person, or walk it (if it’s a farm). I try to cover every acre if I’m buying a farm !

@Turkish I think all you can do is ask for a certain level of responsiveness with the understanding that most agent's availability or commitment might not meet what you're looking for.
I sell real estate in Minnesota, mostly farms, farm sites, or bare land . Don’t be afraid to express to your agent what you are looking for and tell him/her what you’d like to see back from them ?

I have a lot of clients, you can’t call them all every month... but if you know the expectation then it’s easier to follow up with them !

Time frame is key, do they have a 1031, extra cash that they need to spend ? One issue, is there is like zero farm listings in my area. So if I call them of email them .. all I can say is “nothing new is hitting the market”
Personally, I wouldn't give a second thought to not hearing from an agent at all unless there is a property of interest listed or coming to market. Really just care about if they are available and willing to act when it's go time.

Kind of in relation to this - I bought 2 houses and sold 1 with my best friend as the realtor (cities residential realtor). When he's represented me if something of interest popped on the market my buddy was asking for showings and asking pertinent within a couple hours of me noticing it and calling him. That was my only experience with a realtor and I took his responsiveness for granted until i signed with a whitetail properties agent in my search for land. Agent was a nice guy, probably takes care of his customers better than the avg agent, but his availability and ability to be responsive for me when something popped up was a far cry from where my buddy was. The land i own now had other offers on it days before the agent would have been able to walk it with me and he ended up releasing me from our agreement and letting me have my buddy draft up an offer due to his limited availability. I've probably walked a dozen listed hunting properties and there has never been an agent representing me or the seller when I've done any of them. I never gave consideration to contacting sellers agent directly but that is good info. That way a guy could ask questions directly as they want and not lose anything in translation.

That experience with today's market where an ideal property is gone as soon as it lists has made me value availability and responsiveness over knowledge of the market and possible opportunities/risks associated with recreational land.

I’ve actually never heard of “signing” with a buyer’s agent. What do you gain by doing that? Are they only working with buyers they’ve “signed?” Are you paying them?

I’ve actually never heard of “signing” with a buyer’s agent. What do you gain by doing that? Are they only working with buyers they’ve “signed?” Are you paying them?

No, it's basically a commitment to have them represent you on any purchases within some set of circumstances. I don't remember the terms but they only see $ if a purchase is made. In this case their primary intent seemed to be to cover their ass so people aren't utilizing them as a resource and then cutting them out of the sale. I'm sure there is much more to it then that.

Don’t quote me, but I think part of the new real estate rules that went in place last week now require people to sign with a buyers agent if they are going to use them.

I don't know how an agent can represent both seller and buyer if they have a contract with the seller. The seller's contract between agent and seller only protects the seller.

If you use a buyers agent, get a written agreement. It details their responsibilities to you as a buyer.

They do represent both parties some times and they get double the commission unless something else is worked out

Don’t quote me, but I think part of the new real estate rules that went in place last week now require people to sign with a buyers agent if they are going to use them.

Saw a little blip about how this new deal may cause some big changes in how commissions are negotiated.

Agreed.

I don't know how an agent can represent both seller and buyer if they have a contract with the seller. The seller's contract between agent and seller only protects the seller.

I have been in transactions with a single agent before. It's really not that different than any other broker. As long as both parties are happy with the terms, the broker is just facilitating the sale. I find real estate agents will usually act in their own best interests. That means the higher the price, the better, unless they are charging a flat fee. Luckily I was paying a flat fee when buying, and I am paying a percentage now while selling. I wouldn't make a deal I wasn't sure about, and I have turned deals down before because I didn't think they suited me.

My attitude toward real estate deals and any other high-dollar deal is to only say yes if I'm very happy with the deal. If I'm on the fence, the answer is no. I try to do my due diligence to the most extreme degree possible so that I feel secure in my decision.

Wen through a few of those folks. In the end they appreciate you as much as you do what the government does with your tax dollars. Some are great, but I cherish them like paper plates....esp the buck on the sign guys.

Wen through a few of those folks. In the end they appreciate you as much as you do what the government does with your tax dollars. Some are great, but I cherish them like paper plates....esp the buck on the sign guys.
I’ve been baffled and intrigued by this business for 20 years. Thats not hyperbole. The number of incompetent land agents obviously pulling in multiple six figures in commissions blows my mind. I cuss them on one hand but would love to have that career, on the other hand. I honestly think I could kill it … but would be foolish to make a career change at this point.

The one I’ve dealt with that I started the thread about forgot all about our viewing on Saturday. Was super apologetic and genuine. Clearly I’m not a priority, though.

I’ve been baffled and intrigued by this business for 20 years. Thats not hyperbole. The number of incompetent land agents obviously pulling in multiple six figures in commissions blows my mind. I cuss them on one hand but would love to have that career, on the other hand. I honestly think I could kill it … but would be foolish to make a career change at this point.

The one I’ve dealt with that I started the thread about forgot all about our viewing on Saturday. Was super apologetic and genuine. Clearly I’m not a priority, though.

He wasn't genuine, he was worried about losing his commission. I'd drop this guy without a second thought.