Ready for next spring

tooln

5 year old buck +
I finally have a spot ready for apple trees next spring. I plan to put in 6 and see how it goes. They are going on the north side of my plot. I have the area leveled, limed, fertilized & 2 weeks ago I seeded it in WR/Oats & radish's. I'm standing in a small section of clover looking to the west when I took the pic.

Looks nice I'm planning to add some apple tress to a few of my food plots in the spring as well. Have you figured out what types of apple tree's you plan on planting?

Looks nice I'm planning to add some apple tress to a few of my food plots in the spring as well. Have you figured out what types of apple tree's you plan on planting?
I'm going to get them for different drop times. I'll take the advice from the nursery I getting them from.

I wouldn't, thats not a place for fruit trees.

I'm going to get them for different drop times. I'll take the advice from the nursery I getting them from.

What Nursery?

Those mature trees suck the life out of the ground. Pluse they will be constantly growing branches into that opening.
My father in law has trees in his all led by his house, and he has mature oaks/maple/ pine. His crop is very weak, and it's more open than your plot now. Trees are healthy and lush. I think it's a combo of the roots and sun.
Stick to plotting there. It isn't a place for an orchard. I won't plant a 100' from a mature tree just because of the roots alone. Much less the sun issue there, now, much less 10 years down the road

I've experienced EXACTLY what Stu is saying on behalf of the crabs. ^^^^^ I agree with what NH Mtns. said about taking down more trees if at all possible. He and Dipper are right about branches and roots. My first apples I planted at my camp were planted too close to some mature trees in hopes of keeping them close to cover. Even though they get sun, they have not done as well as other apples planted further away from mature trees - and they were planted a year or 2 earlier !!

Your choice of north side of opening is spot-on to get the most sunlight. I learned a lot from the guys on here too !!! Some of these guys have been planting apples and crabs for some years, been farming - or both. Your plots look good tho !!

Well thanks for the info guys. Since this is the only spot I have I'll have to work with what I have. Yes some of the 6 were going to be crabs.

Any way you could plant right down the center of that plot and hinge the crap out of everything on the south plot edge to knock down the towering height of those trees casting the shadow half way across the plot? You would be farther out from the trees(and their root systems) on the north edge(all edges for that matter) and get tons more sunlight on not only on the center, but the south plot edge as well. Win-win in the long run. You could still plant the strips outside the line of trees that run down the center, maybe LC mix on one side and brassicas on the other and then rotate them each season.

Any way you could plant right down the center of that plot and hinge the crap out of everything on the south plot edge to knock down the towering height of those trees casting the shadow half way across the plot? You would be farther out from the trees(and their root systems) on the north edge(all edges for that matter) and get tons more sunlight on not only on the center, but the south plot edge as well. Win-win in the long run. You could still plant the strips outside the line of trees that run down the center, maybe LC mix on one side and brassicas on the other and then rotate them each season.[/QUOTe

That thought had crossed my mind. But the wife isn't to keen about cutting more trees.

I'm lucky because my wife loves it when I cut down trees. All I have to do is chunk them up and haul them up to the garage. She absolutely loves to split wood.

I think if you plant down the left edge of the WR you will have enough room. I just wouldn't plant up against the edge for reasons already stated. I have jammed 8 trees into a heavy wooded plot. They are growing good. There are a handful of large maples preventing them from bordering on full sun. I will have them marked to come down next time we log. That will probably be before they are bearing age. I says go for it.

As stated above, don't want to plant too close to tall trees for light competition but remember that at some time you'll probably want to spray your plots and think about wind drift when the trees are still young and lots of green close to the ground. Might have to go with the middle of the road approach or be prepared to sacrifice a little more plot space. Course you can always try to limit spraying for really calm days but sometimes you gotta get it done when you have the time.

edit
Just got the new Wallace flyer in the mail today. Since you are so close, they have some Fall specials on trees that are for pick up only and some pricing being offered not advertised to the general public. Good marketing hype anyway

Last edited:
I don't spray my plot. I may go with a backpack sprayer and spot spray a few weeds but not very often. The little shadow you see if the only shade that area will get so it doesn't get any closer to full sun than that. My wife also hates the hinge look, but she loves venison. It's still a battle to cut more. I think the wind may uproot a few when it gets really wet. Better then a hinge and has been known to happen;).

I'm lucky because my wife loves it when I cut down trees. All I have to do is chunk them up and haul them up to the garage. She absolutely loves to split wood.

REMNAR 'This girl could split wood!'

key_art_escanaba_in_da_moonlight.jpg