Rattle snake struck at me...

huntall

5 year old buck +
I always keep an eye on the ground and was trying to make it to my stand this evening.
I made it almost to my stand and was glancing back and forth between the ground and the path I was heading. Somehow I spotted a rattle snake stretched out right under where I was fixen to step.
I jumped back at the same time he struck. He only had to make it a couple feet and crawled into a log pile and I think it crawled into a hollow log.

This was only twenty yards from my stand and I climbed in , but if I had shot a deer this evening... it would have been rough to trail one in the woods after dark after that.
This was a very close call, and I thank the Lord for the outcome!

I'm glad they don't like our weather much. Good thing you didn't get bit.

I almost lost my right leg about ten years ago due to a copperhead bite. I did not even know I had been bitten. I was working on clearing some brush. The next day I had a spot on the back of one leg that just drove me nuts. I thought tick or a chigger had bitten me. It got "infected" and I went to see my Dr.. He went nuts. I couldn't see the bite at first because it was right behind the knee. Luckily it must have been a very small one. He put me on steroids and massive doses of antibiotics. It turned my entire knee beet red for about 24 hours. The Dr. told em if it didn't go down within the next 24 hours I could lose my leg. Fortunately, it did go down and cleared up. I worry every time I am in the woods now. It's almost paranoia.

Glad you saw it first. Gives me shivers just thinking about it.

That log pile would have been set ablaze at that moment with him in it!:D

They must be crawling more than ever right now in this heat wave we are haveing just before winter sets in. I saw one this morning about 300 yrds from the one i saw yesterday evening. This one was on the road .
This one did not get to crawl off!

They're pretty good eating if you cook them up right. I usually kill at least one a year here in AZ during the early deer,dove and quail hunts.

They're pretty good eating if you cook them up right. I usually kill at least one a year here in AZ during the early deer,dove and quail hunts.
The one that almost got me yesterday would not have been fit to eat cause it woulda smelled like crap!lol

still killing them. I killed this small rattle snake at the end of the driveway.

this is a copperhead from last week

One word ( snake boots)