R.I.P Denny

Bill

Administrator
At 15 years old I was lucky enough to meet a few older guys that had a small hunting cabin in Bradford county PA. They took me and another older guest along hunting that year. They eventually offered me official membership in the club and I gladly payed my $25/year in dues. 10 years or so later we disbanded as the main farm we hunted changed hands and big $ out of Philadelphia leased it.

Tomorrow, Deny, the last of the original 4 will be laid to rest. Deny was finishing an early tour in Veitnam as a Marine the year I was born. Another was a WWII Marine then there was a Carpenter and a School teacher.

Why they let a kid join them is beyond me but I know, I owe those guys more than I ever paid them in return. I wouldn't have had the chance to hunt without them.

As always time gets away from you and it's been a few years since I've seen Denny. I'll say goodbye tomorrow but should have been there to say so all along.

Great man as far as I'm concerned and I needed to say so officially.

Did we have the level of animosity then, that we do today? Do we have the "great" men today that we did then? Do we have the young Bill's now that Deny did then? As kids, we watched with wide eyes the likes of Deny. Did Deny know what such a small thing he did then would mean so much to you, Bill, and to those of use who have experienced the same? It probably didn't matter to Deny, may he rest in peace. And, may we---here now--- be the influential men to another generation, and to do it without any thought of it being the right thing to do because it simply was - and is...necessary, perhaps now more than ever.

Amen, gentlemen, amen.

My thoughts will be with you today Bill. It’s hard to see someone that special go. Wishing all involved the best.

Im sorry for you loss Bill, we need more men like Deny today, those people make a huge difference in people’s lives and I’m thankful that you got to know him.

Bill ... These were the type of men that made an impact on our lives even though you probably didn't know it at the time. They also probably didn't think what they did with you was anything special, just who they were and what they were made of. It's a good day to smile as you remember the impact he had on your life.

Did we have the level of animosity then, that we do today? Do we have the "great" men today that we did then? Do we have the young Bill's now that Deny did then? As kids, we watched with wide eyes the likes of Deny. Did Deny know what such a small thing he did then would mean so much to you, Bill, and to those of use who have experienced the same? It probably didn't matter to Deny, may he rest in peace. And, may we---here now--- be the influential men to another generation, and to do it without any thought of it being the right thing to do because it simply was - and is...necessary, perhaps now more than ever.

Amen, gentlemen, amen.

So true. I know I’ve influenced some but somehow I think it’s not been enough. I’ve Spent lots of time with my boy. My Dad didn’t have that luxury with me. He influenced me a lot, but so did others. Sometimes I think someone other than Dad has a big impact because Dad, is just that.

Really good day all in all. Somehow I know Denny had a hand in planning his own send off. He was meticulous about everything and always followed the “if you’re going to do it, do it right, mantra.

Simple but perfect. Graveside service, cremated, nice speeches and memories, preacher then Color Guard. He left a great family behind to carry on.

Bill, great post. Mr. Bob Lankford of Battle Creek, MI did the same for me. A career, couple moves and I allowed myself to lose track. I will always be in debt.

Thanks for being a good person, your post shows that!

Sorry for your loss Bill. I think many of us have a person or a few folks that provided the opportunity for us in the outdoor world. We owe them a lot and far too often we miss the opportunity to say so in so few words. As long as your friend is in your heart and mind....he is never really gone!