Quick Feedback Needed! LOU Site Patient Zero

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Hey gang,

I started just playing around with a website last night to illustrate how easy it could be to create a site to organize and communicate with others in your area. I'm considering actually launching this site this weekend when I head up north. Before I do, I would appreciate feedback on my initial post as well as additional ideas to build out the site.

What do you think of the organizational points explaining what Boy River Whitetails is? Should I go broader, narrower, more aggressive on herd building, less to garner support and convince later, points that should be added, revised, or thrown out?

Please be brutally honest. Ideas like these usually only get one chance and I want to get this right. With some feedback, I can quickly make changes and get $20 worth of print materials ready to take up with me. Here's the site: Boy River Whitetails

Thanks Stu. I just built a few more pages to up the content. If you're willing to take one more lap through, please do.

i'm really liking this concept. Its like taking this forum and making it happen as boots on the ground in a locality. Very good concept. I think you have built a very good skeleton....it just takes time to flesh it out. Let me know if you need or want any help. Obviously, I'm in NE PA and not SD but I'm always willing to help out when its sympatico.

Seems like a good concept. Hope it works for you. Clean site. I'd stay as generic and broad as possible to start. The organization name pretty much says it all: "whitetails".
Not sure if it would readilly work in my area......as a diversity of landowners is present here.....but I can see it working well where you are. Good luck.

Could see an annual (or semi-annual) event at some local watering hole, or perhaps a bonfire, to keep people connected for common goals. (?).

Seems like a good concept. Hope it works for you. Clean site. I'd stay as generic and broad as possible to start. The organization name pretty much says it all: "whitetails".
Not sure if it would readilly work in my area......as a diversity of landowners is present here.....but I can see it working well where you are. Good luck.

Could see an annual (or semi-annual) event at some local watering hole, or perhaps a bonfire, to keep people connected for common goals. (?).
I envision a few low key get togethers during the year. A lot of the weekend warriors will be up on the holiday weekends. Also, a tree distribution day in early May at the bar in Boy River. Maybe a plot seed distribution event over the 4 of July weekend.

A couple things you could share in is fertilizer, lime, lime spreader, hiring some field work, timber harvests / sales. All of these things are hard to accomplish by yourself. Supplies are a long ways away in that part of the world (IIRC).

Also could share the cost for a consultant to come and speak.....look at properties (or maybe provide a few rain dances ;) ) .

Hard to argue with what is there.

I really feel you need a way to get the locals who own land and let everybody hunt the place on board. The guys they let in are the ones that can make or break an area.

One thing to consider is the new "cloud" based technology. You could have all your coop's documents shared on the cloud. Spreadsheets by coop member with info on sightings, weights and ages of deer harvested, the list could get huge in a hurry. Just saying, don't rule out using this to organize and store documents for the coop. It can be password protected and only shared with those in the "group".

Last edited:
I have quite a diversity as well. Why do you feel an idea like this won't work? I ask because I'd like to work on "answers" for those who would be naysayers/decliners/whatever.

Up in SD's country....(almost) the ONLY thing that land is going to be used for is hunting deer or grouse or bears.....and some for timber. Around here, I got crop farmers, homeowners, ranchers, investors, timber managers, golf courses, resort operators, tract developers, and some that manage for hunting. Most....IN ADDTION to those other things noted.

I think the hunting is secondary to the other stuff listed. Not saying it won't work.....just saying the common goals are not quite as similar.

If somebody has a contact within the Hillview Management co-op http://www.hillviewmanagement.com/ it would be great for a few of us to be able to sit down and pick somebody's mind on getting something similar going.

They've got to be dealing/have dealt with many of the same obstacles that a guy in Nisswa or Long Prairie will face.

A link to the Boy River page for other successful coops may make guys feel like its not a novel concept. Proven results. Get you some.

I think that's where an aggregator site like Land Owners United could really help. If all LOU did was provide contact info for local coops and some weekly content, it'd could be enough to keep everyone loosely organized on a large scale and keep ideas alive. If 5 or 10 or 20 of the clubs start up, or existing clubs decide to join the network, it could send a positive message that there are more out there sharing common concern for the cause. Each coop could also link back to LOU as well. Bigger ideas could be driven via LOU and offered for consideration/debate at the local level. If we can get people talking, we've won.

If all LOU did was provide contact info for local coops and some weekly content, it'd could be enough to keep everyone loosely organized on a large scale and keep ideas alive. Bigger ideas could be driven via LOU and offered for consideration/debate at the local level. If we can get people talking, we've won.

That is a very low risk beginning. Contact info and updates. It would be a good starting point to potentially grow from.

SDS has obviously spent a lot of time thinking about this. ODN commentary written all over it.

SD, great thing you got going on and are doing!

I've been searching for something to be a part of for a while. This feels like a good use of time.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Positive feedback can fuel the fire.

I like what is see so far. Good luck with it.

Here's a pin up I created. This can be posted anywhere. Cut with a scissors each web address so people can tear one off and stuff it in their pocket for when they get home.
BR Whitetails.PNG

kinda neat. Not sure what the intent is for your site. But overall a place to read once but I don't see myself going back for any reason.

I think locally I will be signing the DNR incompetence/agenda theory. It has only been 9 years since we went from science based for the hunter deer management to a social based snow job. This years harvest will have many asking questions, and the answer truly is a state agency this is completely incompetent, or has an agenda to lower deer numbers. The public needs the facts to make a reasonable decision, and the facts are on our side.

Distrust of the state agency tasked with managing our herd is a primary agenda of mine right now.

As for the other sites and the guys backing the DNR, I really feel they are or were DNR employees. They have far more knowledge of the system than anyone else I have met, and for them to not be able to see what we are seeing makes me question their identity and agenda.