Question on cleth

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
For those of you who have used it, do you need to add anything to it - like a surfactant of some kind - to make it work ?? If so, what other things must be added, if any ??

Yes, it is far more effective if you use crop oil or a non-ionic surfactant. which you choose really depends on what you are spraying it on.

I add crop oil to mine.

I have never used dish soap - but obviously others have.

DON"T use dish soap in the dish washer! Not even just a little bit in a pinch. Don't do it - unless you want a REALLY clean kitchen floor!!!!!

We have non-ionic surfactant - and Dawn dish soap !! We would be spraying it on clover that has some grass coming up in it. Use n-i surf. or Dawn ??

I would use the n-i if you have it on hand.

And make sure you follow the mixing directions, too much crop oil can burn and set back the broadleafs(clover) you are trying to keep. Clover is pretty resilient, but too much crop oil has been known to set it back in some cases. I think it would be fine to use the n-i surfactant since you already have it, but you will definitely ensure a better kill on your grasses with crop oil. If you have foxtail, the n-i surfactant will likely do the trick, something like quackgrass or johnsongrass on the other hand, will likely require crop oil to get any type of decent kill, and it will only top kill the johnsongrass, it will likely live on through the underground rhizomes. Not sure on how solid the kill would be on quackgrass?

If it is established Clover, throw in 10oz/acre of 4lb Glyphosate with 4 oz of clethodim. A quality Glyphosate will have enough surfactant to get the job done. And 10oz of roundup should not kill the clover if it is a couple years old. Good Luck!

Foxtail and some kind of fescue are the main culprits. The clover is 3 or 4 years old. Still lots of clover in that plot, but grass is making headway even with mowing. The gly we have is generic 41% concentrate. I have a 1 gal. jug of Pro Solutions 80/20 surfactant. That ought to do the job.

I've learned a lot about apples and crabs, but I'm still green on plot care - weed sprays in particular. Thanks guys, for the info.

Foxtail and some kind of fescue are the main culprits. The clover is 3 or 4 years old. Still lots of clover in that plot, but grass is making headway even with mowing. The gly we have is generic 41% concentrate. I have a 1 gal. jug of Pro Solutions 80/20 surfactant. That ought to do the job.

I've learned a lot about apples and crabs, but I'm still green on plot care - weed sprays in particular. Thanks guys, for the info.

Fescue can take up to a gallon per acre of Glyphosate only to try and kill it! Cleth can have very limited activity on fescue also. Most of time fescue will burn down and come right back with cleth or Gylphosate. Good Luck!

Thanks for the great news about fescue, Mo !! :( I'll try a test patch with a back-pack sprayer, n - I surf., cleth. and see what happens. I hope I'm wrong on the fescue I.D.

I use a surfactant called Herbimax. I think it costs about $30 for 2 1/2 gallons. It works very well. Will not burn your crops.

Steve - Who handles the Herbimax ?? I got the Pro Solutions 80/20 surfactant at Tractor supply.

I get it at my local coop

I have seen "weaker" grass species(i.e. not stuff like johnsongrass) look "sick" the day after spraying with a hot dose of cleth and crop oil. That said, it was during a short stretch of very hot days and I think the plant was duped into sucking up as much moisture through the leaves as it possibly could, thinking it was getting a fresh drink of some rain. Not the exact case in your instance, but I have seen it.

I sprayed cleth and went back to check after 3 days and it was obvious.