All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on arrow deflection

DDC

A good 3 year old buck
I like to try broadheads and have shot many different heads through the years. I have been less than impressed with penetration of the expandables. Which led me to try the hybrid version of the Muzzy and this is where it gets weird. My kid shoots FMJ's 28" at 67" with a 28 inch draw and last night he shot a doe at 30 yards with the Muzzy trocar HB. I first thought he spined her and it took a 2nd arrow to anchor her but upon inspection, his arrow hit perfect mid chest. We were 20 feet up and his arrow hit a rib and deflected up and nicked the spinal cord. Anyone ever had an arrow deflect up off a rib?

Last edited:
Angles, velocity, direction, a possible movement by the deer ... all that stuff gets into the physics of the world. In my opinion Anything is possible given all the variables involved in shooting an arrow. It’s why I believe any deer taken with a bow is a trophy. Congrats to your son!

I've used a number of expandable broadheads. Most work fine most of the time with the right setup and shot selection. One thing I've noticed is that chisel-point type seem to turn more in a deer than those with leading blades. I'm speculating as to what is happening here. A chisel point is pretty symmetrical. At the point where it is in the deer shot from a treestand, often one of the opening blades engage before the others. This resistance on one side allows an arrow to turn somewhat changing the entry angle. Combine that with rib or other bone contact and I can certainly see how it is possible for the arrow to deflect upward. This is probably not a common occurrence, but possible. As others have said, things like string-jumping can cause the position of the deer to change as well. This is often a more likely culprit. A deer can drop 18"-22" by the time an arrow arrives from a fast bow at 20 yards. That drop can be severely biased left or right. Without a high speed camera, it is really hard to tell what happened with all the potential factors involved.

Thanks,

Jack

Just curious did the rib break? Or upon inspection you could tell the arrow road up the rib to the spine?

Just curious did the rib break? Or upon inspection you could tell the arrow road up the rib to the spine?
it did break the rib and then road up along it into the spine. It was not a high hit but pretty much dead center in the chest cavity. After reading the post above from Yoderjac, I think he is spot on with one blade opening/catching and it causing it to deflect.

it did break the rib and then road up along it into the spine. It was not a high hit but pretty much dead center in the chest cavity. After reading the post above from Yoderjac, I think he is spot on with one blade opening/catching and it causing it to deflect.

It would certainly seem like that could be the case, along with the Doe probably starting to bale out. The arrow could ride up like that.