Question for those who grow Goldrush Apple

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I bought a tree from a nursery this year that they named "Autumn Rush." I suspect it is just Goldrush, and they changed the name a little. I asked then about that, and never really got a straight answer.

I set the tree out and it took off nicely, but all summer I have noticed that it shows a lot of CAR on the leaves. I've read that Goldrush can be prone to CAR.

My question are:

Do you grow Goldrush in an area where CAR is a problem, and how does it do?

When affected with CAR does it still manage to fruit well?

Do you have any pictures?

Yep, that's where mine came from. I've been a good customer with them, and not too happy they would say an apple has good to excellent DR when the tree looks like its been through a war right now. I looked at one good internet source that says Goldrush should not be planted where CAR is a serious problem. I live in an area where it IS a serious problem. I would bet the two apples are one in the same, but I'm open to being shown different - and as with many times in my life - I hope I am wrong....

I'd take some photos and send them to them. See what they have to say. I'm also thinking they're calling them autumn rush due to licensing issues.

I agree......

Maybe you should cut your loses and cleft graft a black limber twig or priscilla on those roots?:D

Maybe you should cut your loses and cleft graft a black limber twig or priscilla on those roots?:D

A great idea, but was hoping for a little later dropping cultivar at this particular location. So I may do the cleft grafting but go with Yates or Terry Winter.

If I knew that the "Rush" would eventually produce fruit despite looking bad I would just leave it. At this location me and the critters would be the only ones looking at it.

How about enterprise I think it's a late dropper too. I'm hoping to get some scion wood of enterprise hopefully if you want to try a stick of it.

How about enterprise I think it's a late dropper too. I'm hoping to get some scion wood of enterprise hopefully if you want to try a stick of it.

Sounds like a plan to me. Let's do it.

I'm growing Goldrush in central Wisconsin. Goldrush is supposed to be king when it comes to keeping ability. I planted my first Goldrush tree in 2010 (mm.111 roots purchased from Cummins). It showed some very light spotting on the leaves in 2011 and again this year in which we had a VERY wet spring. We do have red cedars growing in the area. So far for me it has not been a problem, but my tree isn't producing fruit just yet either. I dont expect it to be an issue and I have no plans to graft it over.

http://adamapples.blogspot.com/2014/04/gold-rush-apples-goldrush-keeper.html

Here's a picture I took in 2011.
june25-2011-car.JPG

Planted 4/2010.
1st-leaf-goldrush.JPG

Same Tree 7/2014
IMG_3795.JPG

I've seen Gold Rush listed as disease resistant before and it always drives me crazy.

I live in an area where CAR is a problem, but decided to take the chance with planting three Gold Rush to take advantage of the late-dropping/good-keeping qualities and based on comments I got on the 'dark side' that CAR, while a problem that might slow tree growth somewhat, wouldn't devastate fruit production.

Here's a picture of my first-year tree from mid July (I haven't seen the tree since):
Field1GoldrushwithCAR_zpsd184db86.jpg

Does your tree look worse than that?

We have 2 Goldrush planted at camp and haven't seen any CAR probs. yet. We have no cedars near us as they don't grow naturally where we are located. So we're lucky from that standpoint. I know from researching that hotter, more humid climates have more disease probs. than cooler, dryer climates. We all get rain, but some regions are just more sticky & humid. My point - climate may make a touchy situation worse, because Goldrush IS known to be somewhat susceptible to CAR.

Thanks everyone - that's the kind of responses I was looking for.

Ed, your tree looks great. I would never complain about that.

Stu - I totally agree. I'm shooting for 3/3 on everything.

Lot2 learn - See pics and discussion below.

Both of the trees below were planted this spring. First tree is the "Autumn Rush." Second is "Yates." These trees are 30 feet apart and near red cedar.

Notice how the AR did well early and was able to develop some limbs. But look what a disaster now as the CAR has gradually taken its toll over the summer.

Yates is known to have "good" CAR resistance. That's what I see - good (and good enough) but not outstanding - some minor spotting but nothing serious.

I don't think AR lives up to "good to excellent" - at least in my neck of the woods.