Purdue #1 improved Walnuts

b116757

5 year old buck +
Anyone have a good source for these Walnut trees I’d like to plant some on the new farm. I know the Indiana State Nursery has them but don’t know if they ship out of state.

No, but tell me more about those!

Me three!

From my understanding they are a superior lumber type tree fast growth very few low branches. Just a very good lumber form.

Purdue #1 Black Walnut trees are genetically superior black walnut trees which are fast growing and straighter than the common black walnut seedlings.

This makes it one of the most sought after black walnut cultivar seedlings as a nut tree for plantations market. Purdue University developed cultivars from selections made for good form, rapid height, and diameter growth, primarily for faster timber production.

The Purdue Black Walnut are hardy for USDA Zones 4-9.

Post copied from Morse Nursery description

This could be entirely wrong, but I thought I read once that due to their rapid growth rate, they were some level of being less desirable for the veneer market of top end trees, which are usually slow growth, tight rings. However that may fit in the grand scheme, I have no idea. Again, just something I recall reading once. On a proper site, black walnut usually grows pretty fast anyhow.

Yes it is a fast growing tree under optimum conditions veneer having tight growth rings not so much. To make veneer grade they simply need to be of sufficient size without defects in the log faces such as limbs, knots, kitty faces and no rot or blue stain indicating steel in the log. A wide white sapwood ring will be considered a defect. Some buyers may pay a bit more for prime color or dock for poor color. I don’t recall being docked for wide growth rings perhaps you have a wide sapwood ring confused with wide growth rings?

I was hoping this was something you could plant in the middle of a doe factory and turn it into a buck bed.

Yes it is a fast growing tree under optimum conditions veneer having tight growth rings not so much. To make veneer grade they simply need to be of sufficient size without defects in the log faces such as limbs, knots, kitty faces and no rot or blue stain indicating steel in the log. A wide white sapwood ring will be considered a defect. Some buyers may pay a bit more for prime color or dock for poor color. I don’t recall being docked for wide growth rings perhaps you have a wide sapwood ring confused with wide growth rings?
Sounds like you have sold some Black Walnuts. Black walnuts are the best growing trees on our place in Northern Missouri. I'd say we have over 1000 that are at least 18" in diameter of varying feet height.

From what we've heard from others in the area, it's very difficult to get someone willing to treat black walnuts any differently than any other lumber.

How did you go about selling the blacknuts? Was it a part of another timber sale?

Black walnut is a animal all to itself anyone trying to buy it like “any other timber” is trying to pull a fast one. Contact Midwest Walnut if the trees are not at minimum 54” around at chest high let them grow and that’s a minimum.

Average BDFT price now in summer is around $2.50 in winter it’s been running $3.00 . If I cut I will only cut trees large enough to make veneer by several inches not at the minimum that’s where the good money is in walnut not in small 18” trees let those grow.