Purchase or not purchase in CWD area

Weed Wacker

5 year old buck +
I would like to hear from anyone that owns land or hunts in an area that has had cwd for a number of years now, someone that has seen the effects first had. What can I expect? Is it still hunting as usual? Do you see sick deer within your herd? Do you still have deer that make it to 4.5 years or older?
I currently own 115 acres in SC Pa in dma2 and have a good opportunity to add another 60 to it. But I am really on the fence about it because of the cwd, just not sure what to expect from the coming years. Currently to the best of my knowledge there had not been any affected deer found right in my neighborhood. Thanks in advance.

I've only owned my land in Fulton county for 1.5 years. I'm running 10 cams on 166 acres and havent noticed a starving/sick deer. Although I'm Still nervous about cwd as well.
My friend up the road in Huntingdon county (near sgl 121) has found 1 sick deer in 25 years. He always has multiple mature buck on his cams. I think the neighborhood shooting young bucks has more of a effect on bucks reaching 4.5 than cwd. Time will tell though.

Might want to listen to this.
Wired to hunt podcast #196.

We manage about 30 properties in CWD areas of SW WI (see Iowa/Sauk/Richland counties) where there are over 3000+ positive CWD tests. Some areas have an infection rate pushing 25% of the herd. I've never had a client, nor anyone on a crew see an infected deer, although some have been killed on the properties we work on. This area has been in a "deer eradication zone" in the past (2006/7 ish) with unlimited tags and landowners and their guests being able to shoot deer from September into March. There were 10's of thousands of deer killed in that span. Today, the deer herd is a strong as ever, with some areas seeing 40+ deer per square mile and the deer quality is very good with plenty of mature bucks being harvested every year. CWD is still prevalent there today and a menace with no solution, but deer are resilient critters. Who knows what the future holds, but in one of the hottest CWD areas in the country, deer hunting remains very good, albeit, with a cloudy future. Land prices are still high and the debate rages on about the best way to address it. If you decide to expand your property holdings, be ready to actively participate with your local DNR and fellow landowners as part of a solution. As of now, there is no solution and the disease is 100% fatal and not going away. For landowners in CWD areas it will be a problem to actively address and always be in your mind for as long as you own that property. If your ready and willing for that reality then go for it. If not, move on to a different area. No one will blame you.

Our hunting farm is in a cwd section. Roughly a half mile away, on adjoining property, the dnr is shooting deer over a pile of corn as we speak. I think they started baiting the spot just after the end of our season, and shooting commenced last week. They'll stay through March if they choose. They've been in our neighborhood on various properties for 4 years now. The herd isn't large anymore like it was prior to '12. It's rare to ever see more than 4 or 5 deer in any given field at any time. Our area is not heavily wooded like much of southern or western IL. We are basically a small creek bottom, only a couple square miles, and deer don't have many ways to filter in from. The dnr's website admits that last winter they weren't able to accomplish an aerial survey due to lack of snow. I'm pretty sure they didn't do one this winter yet either, but I can't say for sure. So they're basically just shooting deer on a whim. The meat locker we occasionally use told us last year the dnr lied. They were told the carcasses would be brought to them for processing and donating. The owners said they never saw a single one. The stories are that the deer didn't get processed at any lockers, just dumped. I cannot confirm that as fact. Dnr has stated that they killed 111 in our county last year, and they stated that one (1) tested positive. In the 4 years we've been a cwd section, with rifle toting "snipers" in the vicinity, we've been notified zero times with any information whatsoever. Never even a heads-up.

On a personal level, I think it sucks. We were really proud of the bucks we let walk this year, as were some neighbors. I even posted a couple pics in the survivors thread. Some of those bucks are probably sniped by now. I could understand it better if the herd was out of control, but in my opinion it isn't. Another factor that has to be considered is that some of the neighbors have decided to stop shooting does to help combat the sniper affect. Hard for me to make an opinion on this. My dad and I each shot does this year and allowed for them to be tested. Both were negative. Some neighbors who do shoot a doe don't allow for the testing, which I actually think possibly hurts our cause, because then there isn't mapdot for that deer kill. If the dnr doesn't see the landowners taking some deer, then they'll take matters into their own hands, like they're obviously doing.

One issue I have is that baiting is supposed to be one of the worst (best?) ways of having the disease spread. Well these guys don't sit in their tent 24/7. Their vehicle wasn't there at 8:30 am when I drove by today. So now we supposedly have sick deer eating at a pile and leaving the area to spread their sickness? And then we have individual, healthy deer with natural immunity to the disease get whacked at the pile. It's just hard to separate fact and fiction. We've all heard the stories. People swear that the insurance companies pay directly per deer killed by the dnr. I don't have proof, but I also don't trust the government, especially IL's gov't!! I basically think they want dead deer, and it's easy for them to create the studies showing why they do what they do.

Land values here remain strong. Up til now, there's probably still a line waiting to buy any land that would come up for sale. Hard to know if that'll be the case in a decade if the shooters are here for good. Families, including mine, are kinda anchored. Last year my dad and I actually were able to add on to our farm for the first time in years by purchasing 12 acres of timbered creek bottom.

Three years ago while hunting I had a very sickly deer wander past. Not sure what it had. It's the only sick one we've seen. Trail cams have taken tens if not hundreds of thousands of pics in the past several years, with nothing other than what I'd describe as 100% healthy looking deer. Pretty much all I can say.

Thanks all for your response. This cwd thing is about as clear as mud.
Weezy you are absolutely right about the neighbors shooting young bucks. I have quite a few of them that won't shoot a doe and complain about the antler restrictions but they will try and shoot more than one buck per season. I am working on trying to show them that there's a better way.
Bucktown thanks for your response, I was hoping to hear from someone that has been in the thick of it for some years now. It gives me a better idea what it could potentially be like in the coming years.

We've practiced quality management on a family property in SW Wisconsin for over 15 years. Now, as CWD creeps in, we question the wisdom of it. My brother has shot three nice bucks in the past three or four years. Two tested positive. Because we don't have a good place to butcher, and laws sensibly forbid you from taking carcasses out of the area, he pays to have his deer processed there. Sort of sucks to spend the money on processing and then throw the meat away.
Recent research shows that bucks that travel more are more likely to be infected, and to be a major source of CWD expansion. My brother decided he was going for a young buck that would be less likely to be infected. But after all those years of quality management, he couldn't pull the trigger when the first hapless yearling buck came along! Now he decides to shoot a young doe for meat, and an old buck for "sport." Mind you, he still pays to have the buck processed, but he is prepared for the disappointment. This year his buck was negative.
I don't think we've ever seen sick deer, but when my brother burned our 20 acres (in several stripped parcels) of CRP prairie, he found about 12 carcasses. No telling, but maybe they had succumbed to CWD. We don't have neighbors that shoot recklessly so we think that's what it is...
We still hunt, but the CWD definitely puts a damper on things. I believe it will affect land values eventually. Turkey hunting in the area is the bright spot, and provides quite a bit of quality hunting.
Mortenson, I know it must be difficult to be on the front lines of the Illinois CWD control effort. But Wisconsin vitually abandoned any control and CWD is spreading quickly. Illinois is doing a much better job of control. Our Governor decided to put his head in the sand regarding CWD, and the result has not been good.

Mortenson, I know it must be difficult to be on the front lines of the Illinois CWD control effort. But Wisconsin vitually abandoned any control and CWD is spreading quickly. Illinois is doing a much better job of control. Our Governor decided to put his head in the sand regarding CWD, and the result has not been good.
Illinois' aggressive efforts have not stopped the spread of CWD. Has it slowed the spread? No way to know for sure. I wouldn't parade the IL DNR has a hero just yet. They have essentially ruined deer hunting in some of the areas where they sharpshoot heavily. As the disease continues to spread will they keep up the aggressive effort over a much larger area??? If this was happening in Pike County everyone would be up in arms. But since this is happening in the NW corner of the state, far away from the big outfitters and multi million dollar industry, it's a "success" :emoji_thinking:.... IMO CWD will continue to spread in IL and at some point a decision will have to made to either follow WI's model of relaxing the eradication efforts or put an end to quality deer hunting in IL.

slightly off topic of the original post:

May already be to late but IMO they should force shutdowns of all deer farms.

If proven they are in fact the point source for most of the spread of the issues at hand.
I don't see how they can viably remain open.

If the cdc an other organizations can come in a eradicate chickens in peoples backyards for fear of spreading whatever the last outbreak was in the turkey industry.
Then they can surly dismantle an operation, that could lead to the demise of the not just the whitetail. But 4 legged ungulates in general.

Again I am not claiming to be a scientist or have all the info I would like to possess, just going off the information that has been presented.
Currently I believe the only way to contain the prions in the environment is with fire. Montanta an other places I believe are running trails.

But to the OP an the original question. It would be tuff for me to turn down the opportunity to buy land that was directly adjacent to my already existing property.
Those chances do not come around often.

Last edited:
slightly off topic of the original post:

May already be to late but IMO they should force shutdowns of all deer farms.

If proven they are in fact the point source for most of the spread of the issues at hand.
I don't see how they can viably remain open.

If the cdc an other organizations can come in a eradicate chickens in peoples backyards for fear of spreading whatever the last outbreak was in the turkey industry.
Then they can surly dismantle an operation, that could lead to the demise of the not just the whitetail. But 4 legged ungulates in general.

Again I am not claiming to be a scientist or have all the info I would like to possess, just going off the information that has been presented.
Currently I believe the only way to contain the prions in the environment is with fire. Montanta an other places I believe are running trails.

But to the OP an the original question. It would be tuff for me to turn down the opportunity to buy land that was directly adjacent to my already existing property.
Those chances do not come around often.

Couldn't agree more. Some Amish buttheads are responsible for the outbreak in Holmes County. They violated direct court orders. I can't believe they aren't in jail.

Money is the root of all evil i guess. I stay at a hotel near my farm, the owner works at a local deer farm. Says the clientele is mainly rich lawyers from NYC. They pay big $ to shoot the freakishly antlered tame bucks these farms produce.
He says the farm is always getting quarantined because of cwd tests coming back positive. It doesn't help locals cutting holes in their fences, letting deer escape. Few years ago a guy shot a 180" buck on the game lands. Come to find out it escaped through a hole in the fence. Deer farm owner got wind of it and wanted the guy to pay for the buck. Went to court, guy kept his buck.