PUMPED!!

nwmn

5 year old buck +
My dad and I have been getting into this land management thing, well I'm more driven and doing the research, but he's catching on and getting into it as well. We usually drive back and forth from home which starts to add up when you make multiple trips a week and during season it's 4 trips daily. We've wanted to put a cabin up there for a while but the cost is pretty high with electricity/well/septic/access/driveway etc depending how comfortable we wanted it.

So a while back this summer we found out that the house sitting on 10 acres that completes our 1/4 got foreclosed. I checked on the house in July and noticed an eviction note on the door. My dad contacted the realtor through which we bought the land connected to this property. He's been in contact the past couple months and finally last week they opened it for showing. After checking it out a couple times, my dad gave an offer and pulled the trigger after the counteroffer(s). The property consists of 10 acres, house, garage. The house had been renovated slightly prior to the foreclosure, but needs a little bit of cleaning and some minor work. The yard is about 2.5 acres with the remainder being basically old CRP, but connects to the CRP we are planting this fall. I plan to line the outside of the yard with sugar maples and spruce/pines to give some aesthetic beauty, and planting a sizable destination plot just south of the house so we can watch deer from porch/windows.

I'm super excited, mainly because the location is ideal, we don't have to sacrifice any land for building a cabin, and we gain 10 acres, not to mention we have a place to wash up, do some grilling, and kick back. After reading MO's story about the pain in the ass kids on the dirtbikes I really took it to heart and kept telling my dad that any added cost above what we want to pay is insurance that we don't get shitty neighbors. Your best neighbors are yourself, and we caught ourselves a big win/win. Not to mention access to the east side of our woods which we never had.

My dad and I have been getting into this land management thing, well I'm more driven and doing the research, but he's catching on and getting into it as well. We usually drive back and forth from home which starts to add up when you make multiple trips a week and during season it's 4 trips daily. We've wanted to put a cabin up there for a while but the cost is pretty high with electricity/well/septic/access/driveway etc depending how comfortable we wanted it.

So a while back this summer we found out that the house sitting on 10 acres that completes our 1/4 got foreclosed. I checked on the house in July and noticed an eviction note on the door. My dad contacted the realtor through which we bought the land connected to this property. He's been in contact the past couple months and finally last week they opened it for showing. After checking it out a couple times, my dad gave an offer and pulled the trigger after the counteroffer(s). The property consists of 10 acres, house, garage. The house had been renovated slightly prior to the foreclosure, but needs a little bit of cleaning and some minor work. The yard is about 2.5 acres with the remainder being basically old CRP, but connects to the CRP we are planting this fall. I plan to line the outside of the yard with sugar maples and spruce/pines to give some aesthetic beauty, and planting a sizable destination plot just south of the house so we can watch deer from porch/windows.

I'm super excited, mainly because the location is ideal, we don't have to sacrifice any land for building a cabin, and we gain 10 acres, not to mention we have a place to wash up, do some grilling, and kick back. After reading MO's story about the pain in the ass kids on the dirtbikes I really took it to heart and kept telling my dad that any added cost above what we want to pay is insurance that we don't get shitty neighbors. Your best neighbors are yourself, and we caught ourselves a big win/win. Not to mention access to the east side of our woods which we never had.

Have you closed on the new property yet?

Closing in 15 days, barring any unforeseen roadblocks.

Congrats I hope you have no problems with the closing.

Congrats to you and your pops!

Congrats, that east access will be a huge asset with prevailing W/NW winds.

Awesome

What a great situation!!

I bet you are excited! Congrats!

When you get it closed, show some pictures. Unlike our Playboy mags that we just read the articles in;), We like pictures!

Congrats!

Congrats.

I purchased my cabin in much the same way. Went into foreclosure, bought it from the bank. At the time I was more interested in buying it as a 'defensive' move. A $75k house on a dead end dirt road would not attract the best kind of neighbors.

A ton of work and a few years later, it's pretty nice. Best money I ever spent.

You are going to LOVE it!

-John

Congrats, that east access will be a huge asset with prevailing W/NW winds.
stand access will be much better now having a 'home base' instead of where we normally park now. it's a decent house, and will make one hell of a cabin. many years to spend here and especially excited to have a wall dedicated to aerial maps and trail cam pics of hit listers.

I'll post pics and hope to get a thread going of our projects the past 3 years.

Congrats! thats exciting!