Pulled the trigger!

Congrats chummer! Crossing 9,000 acres is a long walk, hopefully you won't have to worry about trespassers.

Last edited:
I toured the 67 acres today, in a whiteout! I saw a lot of potential and put it under contract. The property is located a mile down a seasonal road then a couple hundred yards through a right away. It is bordered by state land on three sides. The closest access to the state land is over a mile away. The prime access to the state land is on the opposite side of the 9k acres. The other side has two neighbors which own large chunks and most of that boundary is a beaver pond. The property itself is a lot of ridges and hill. There is a couple flat areas for potential plots. There are also a couple large south facing slopes. It is 8 miles from my camp. I close in 30 days.

Glad I talked you into it. What does a chunk of land go for out there?? In my part of Cass county, MN smaller acreages go for 1500+ an acre and the 80s and bigger start coming down around $1200. Just a little bit further north of us is WAY cheaper than just a little south. South of hwy 200 is over $2000 and north of hwy 2 is closer to $1000.

Congrats, you wont regret it.

sounds like a good one --- congrats

Congrats!

That's exciting! Congrats and enjoy!

Glad I talked you into it. What does a chunk of land go for out there?? In my part of Cass county, MN smaller acreages go for 1500+ an acre and the 80s and bigger start coming down around $1200. Just a little bit further north of us is WAY cheaper than just a little south. South of hwy 200 is over $2000 and north of hwy 2 is closer to $1000.

Congrats, you wont regret it.
I paid just under $1500 per acre but hoping it goes under 1k after logging. There are a lot of large caliber, veneer, hard maple and cherry. I will have a forester in as soon as I close. I am hoping to get 30k back but wouldn't be surprised if it is closer to 40k depending on how much they cut. I will hopefully have the logger clear some plots as well.

Is there a way to see topo lines on google earth. I want to post the property here but on GE it just looks like a big square of trees.

Ok that is the area. I had lines drawn to show property. How do I get the map to show with the lines. Thanks.

I don't know chummer. When I drew on mine, I took a screen snap and then drew on the pic in Paint.

Ok that is the area. I had lines drawn to show property. How do I get the map to show with the lines. Thanks.

After you draw the lines, right click on one of the lines, click on the "Gmap4 link - no description" option and it will give you the link to a map with your lines. Copy and paste the link.

Best I can do for now. I will play more with it later.

Now the work begins, congrats!

Thanks to TMIL for posting the map link. I am the guy that developed that online map software. Since people working with land tend to enjoy maps, I started a separate thread with some step-by-step info on how to display contour lines on an aerial, draw on the map, do geolocation and some other stuff.
http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?t...-contour-lines-and-other-cool-map-stuff.2538/

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Thanks for the help. I think it is time to start a land tour thread!

Yes sir, Chummer !! Give us the " before " set of pix and I have no doubt you'll be posting the " in progress " pix as you work up your piece of N.Y. Real happy for you to have your own hide-out. This is the time of year to do the dreaming part for the spring / summer work. Too crappy outside to get too involved, but a great time to plan. ( I see you're getting more snow out of this latest storm ) Keep us posted. I think most of us on here are excited FOR YOU !!

Good for you Chummer!!! Since the land closing, I'm betting that most of your last thoughts before falling asleep each night were of the possible land improvements and projects. Yes/No? 14 years of doing it and I still fall asleep thinking of land projects. ;)
Jeff-All I can say is that you are getting old! I'll keep the rest of the discussion clean.