PTO Link

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Have any of you used a PTO link? If so, what have been your experienes?

Last edited:
I just can't justify the price for the 3-4 times a year I need it......but boy am I cussing at that darn pto while I'm trying to get it on there wishing I had this thing.

I have occasionally struggled attaching the rear PTO on our tiller and rotary mower to our JD 1025R. My brother in law said to jiggle it and it should pop right on. I have since done just that and it has slid on right away. I thought long and hard about getting the JD quik connect system but can probably save the $800 for the time being as the jiggle "trick" has worked lately.

I use a slip clutch on my mower it’s a real life saver on broken shear pins. I was shearing off several every time I mowed I was really beginning to think they somehow gave me the wrong pto shaft with the mower but made some phone calls and was assured it was correct. I bought a slip clutch drilled out the shear pin hole to 3/8” on the original pto shaft and put in a grade 8 bolt. Best thing I ever did with that POS mower.

I cannot see where this would furnish a dime's worth of benefit to me.

I saw the ad for that awhile back. Everything we have hooks up pretty easily to the PTO, except the *^&()(*) finish mower! That SOB makes me cuss EVERY time! Keep everything greased up well and it definitely helps.

For the hobbyist it may be too much. My dad has to switch between swather, baler, and rake several times each season when we put up hay. This could be very useful in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As noted by Foggy, this is not for me, but it does get good reviews. Downsides are:
* Another thing to install and learn.
* Having to have adapters for every PTO implement (tiller, post-hole digger, 4’ rotary cutter [cat 1] and 7’ rotary cutter [cat 2]. If one adds a PTO implement such as a sprayer or baler, you have to factor the adapter cost into the implement cost.

The price, while appropriate considering it is a heavy duty piece of equipment, it is another factor that favors learning to connect the PTO without this adapter. I struggled with a one of my implements (the PHD) and finally watched this video that helped me get it figured out.

^ "Why is that? "

Expense and another gadget to adapt for not much benefit. Then too I would have to modify my PTO shafts on some implements.

Implements I have with a PTO include a rotary cutter, post hole digger, stump grinder, tiller, cone spreader, flail mower. Most have the push-pin PTO connector....which is the easiest connection. Those with a sliding collar styles might require a $2 cuss word on some occasions.....but those get easier with time. I would rather switch-out that sliding collar for a push pin style coupler if it was a huge event for me.

Guys try using ATF as a lube on the pto shaft connection it doesn’t collect dust and dirt like grease or oil will it’s my go to lube for exposed areas like the connection.

Reactions: 356